Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More good Brexit news 10:03 - Jul 18 with 1441 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49027889

This is the direction we seem to be heading in. There's no realism from Johnson or Hunt over getting a deal through so it's either no deal or no Brexit and I can't see either having the balls for the latter.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More good Brexit news on 10:06 - Jul 18 with 1424 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Talking about public sector.

Does anyone know whether final salary style pensions are still open to staff joining the public sector?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

More good Brexit news on 10:09 - Jul 18 with 1407 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:06 - Jul 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Talking about public sector.

Does anyone know whether final salary style pensions are still open to staff joining the public sector?

No they aren't.

Sorry to disappoint.

(I benefit from one though )
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 10:10]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

More good Brexit news on 10:10 - Jul 18 with 1405 viewshampstead_blue

I think Hunt is angling at a softer Brexit which is the best of both world. Hunt is talking No Deal to get votes (Def info) but wants a deal badly.

Boris - well, I'm terrified

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

More good Brexit news on 10:29 - Jul 18 with 1348 viewsBlueNomad

It's going to be great! Boris and Pickles said so.
More good Brexit news on 10:32 - Jul 18 with 1334 viewshampstead_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:09 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

No they aren't.

Sorry to disappoint.

The same with the Army.

and I too benefit from two, both tax free and index linked.
TWTD indeed.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

More good Brexit news on 10:34 - Jul 18 with 1330 viewsgiant_stow

More good Brexit news on 10:32 - Jul 18 by hampstead_blue

The same with the Army.

and I too benefit from two, both tax free and index linked.
TWTD indeed.

Edit: why would I say something so gloomy? Sorry.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 10:34]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

More good Brexit news on 10:34 - Jul 18 with 1335 viewsElephantintheRoom

Fake news really as we're sort of in a recession already and certainly would be if we left with or without a deal. And with sterling bobbing towards $ parity that's not having much of a beneficial effect on our shrinking economy either. You might be surprised by Johnson's pragmatism - he will continue to say what he thinks people want to hear with no regard for reality and presumably knows there is zero chance of renogiating the deal, nor leaving by the end of October. So not leaving is possibly the most likely outcome - especially as all the evidence suggests that most voters want to remain.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

More good Brexit news on 10:37 - Jul 18 with 1323 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

More good Brexit news on 10:09 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

No they aren't.

Sorry to disappoint.

Don't worry, its not a disappointment, its a good thing.

Its bad enough that those unviable schemes existed in the first place, sensible that they are stopped.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

More good Brexit news on 10:42 - Jul 18 with 1293 viewshampstead_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:34 - Jul 18 by ElephantintheRoom

Fake news really as we're sort of in a recession already and certainly would be if we left with or without a deal. And with sterling bobbing towards $ parity that's not having much of a beneficial effect on our shrinking economy either. You might be surprised by Johnson's pragmatism - he will continue to say what he thinks people want to hear with no regard for reality and presumably knows there is zero chance of renogiating the deal, nor leaving by the end of October. So not leaving is possibly the most likely outcome - especially as all the evidence suggests that most voters want to remain.

There was an economist on PM yesterday who, echoed what another economist told me last summer.

She thinks that No Deal will see £/$ parity and a real slump whilst things were sorted out.

What was interesting was what she 'didn't say'.
With the £ very low against the £ and Euro caused by pure uncertainty, if Hunt got in (fingers crossed) and got a deal based on the current one but with a few tweaks, the rally would be fantastic.

Buy £'s on the back of a Deal.

More good Brexit news on 10:48 - Jul 18 with 1266 viewsHerbivore

More good Brexit news on 10:42 - Jul 18 by hampstead_blue

There was an economist on PM yesterday who, echoed what another economist told me last summer.

She thinks that No Deal will see £/$ parity and a real slump whilst things were sorted out.

What was interesting was what she 'didn't say'.
With the £ very low against the £ and Euro caused by pure uncertainty, if Hunt got in (fingers crossed) and got a deal based on the current one but with a few tweaks, the rally would be fantastic.

Buy £'s on the back of a Deal.

Hunt has zero chance of getting in and if he did I doubt he'd be able to get a deal through parliament in time.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More good Brexit news on 10:50 - Jul 18 with 1257 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:37 - Jul 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Don't worry, its not a disappointment, its a good thing.

Its bad enough that those unviable schemes existed in the first place, sensible that they are stopped.

It was merely a change in accounting standards that made final salary schemes unviable, and you have Robert Maxwell to blame for that.

More good Brexit news on 10:55 - Jul 18 with 1243 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

More good Brexit news on 10:50 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

It was merely a change in accounting standards that made final salary schemes unviable, and you have Robert Maxwell to blame for that.

I dont see how it was ever viable to earn say 50% (best case scenario) of your final salary for 20-30 years.

I cant imagine the contributions sustain that?

Happy to be enlightened.

I know someone who is about to retire from the rail industry, and he will earn more from his pension than his current salary.

More good Brexit news on 10:58 - Jul 18 with 1232 viewsPinewoodblue

More good Brexit news on 10:50 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

The switch away from final salary was slower in coming in the public sector.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

More good Brexit news on 11:30 - Jul 18 with 1162 viewsBlueBadger

More good Brexit news on 10:29 - Jul 18 by BlueNomad

Not today. Thursday is Pickles' Soft Brexit Day.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 13:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

More good Brexit news on 11:33 - Jul 18 with 1152 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:55 - Jul 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont see how it was ever viable to earn say 50% (best case scenario) of your final salary for 20-30 years.

I cant imagine the contributions sustain that?

Happy to be enlightened.

I know someone who is about to retire from the rail industry, and he will earn more from his pension than his current salary.

The contributions were invested.

The death knell was the accounting standard requiring the full actuarial cost of future pension benefits to be recognised. Successive governments fought against that, not because of public sector pensions, but because the liabilities arising from the state pension would show the country was, technically, bankrupt.

(You'd have to read the Whole of Government Accounts for this. I'd advise against it, unless you have severe insomnia)

More good Brexit news on 11:35 - Jul 18 with 1145 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 10:29 - Jul 18 by BlueNomad

I wouldn't give either of them a job collecting trolleys in the car park at Aldi.

More good Brexit news on 11:47 - Jul 18 with 1123 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

More good Brexit news on 11:33 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

The contributions were invested.

The death knell was the accounting standard requiring the full actuarial cost of future pension benefits to be recognised. Successive governments fought against that, not because of public sector pensions, but because the liabilities arising from the state pension would show the country was, technically, bankrupt.

(You'd have to read the Whole of Government Accounts for this. I'd advise against it, unless you have severe insomnia)

I realise the contributions were invested, as per any pension.

But I still struggle to believe that those investments would sustain a final salary scheme, especially guaranteed defined benefits.

More good Brexit news on 12:22 - Jul 18 with 1068 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 11:47 - Jul 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I realise the contributions were invested, as per any pension.

But I still struggle to believe that those investments would sustain a final salary scheme, especially guaranteed defined benefits.

Most public sector pensions are in fact quite small - the last figure I saw was an average of around £4000 pa. This reflects the fact that most public servants are in lower paid grades and many have relatively short or interrupted careers (eg women leaving to have children).

More good Brexit news on 12:29 - Jul 18 with 1038 viewsGuthrum

More good Brexit news on 10:10 - Jul 18 by hampstead_blue

I think Hunt is angling at a softer Brexit which is the best of both world. Hunt is talking No Deal to get votes (Def info) but wants a deal badly.

Boris - well, I'm terrified

Both are to a large extent just saying the things they think will help get them elected to lead the Conservative Party (given it's supposedly swung madly to the right and is overrun by UKIP/BP entryists). Probably bears very little relation to what they're going to be saying once face with the practicalities of government.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

More good Brexit news on 13:25 - Jul 18 with 998 viewsBlueBadger

More good Brexit news on 12:22 - Jul 18 by factual_blue

Most public sector pensions are in fact quite small - the last figure I saw was an average of around £4000 pa. This reflects the fact that most public servants are in lower paid grades and many have relatively short or interrupted careers (eg women leaving to have children).

An awful lot of them also run to a surplus. Most NHS schemes, for starters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

More good Brexit news on 14:22 - Jul 18 with 950 viewsfactual_blue

More good Brexit news on 13:25 - Jul 18 by BlueBadger

An awful lot of them also run to a surplus. Most NHS schemes, for starters.

The Highly Efficient Private Sector gets it right again.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024