Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? 08:34 - Jul 19 with 5686 viewsArnieM

Honestly not sure how reliable this report is . Has anyone else seen it ?

https://thefootballmancave.com/2019/07/18/ipswich-town-to-capture-burys-promotio

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:36 - Jul 19 with 4811 viewsartsbossbeard

The local rag are running the story too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:39 - Jul 19 with 4774 viewsBlueBadger

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:36 - Jul 19 by artsbossbeard

The local rag are running the story too.

Ours or theirs?

Actually scratch that, the EADT won't run it till they've seen it on here...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:42 - Jul 19 with 4745 viewsartsbossbeard

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:39 - Jul 19 by BlueBadger

Ours or theirs?

Ours.

They still use slate and chalk oop north.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:44 - Jul 19 with 4719 viewsPJH

I think the report should say " Ipswich Town are" not "Ipswich Town is".
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:55 - Jul 19 with 4613 viewsGuthrum

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:39 - Jul 19 by BlueBadger

Ours or theirs?

Has already been on here, a couple of days ago.

Former Bury Defender Thompson Linked 17th Jul 2019 11:18
Town are reported to be eyeing former Bury central defender Adam Thompson. 21

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:00 - Jul 19 with 4559 viewsArnieM

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:55 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Agreed. Phil’s report said , linked, this other one said , about to sign..... I know this could be classed as nit picking , but just thought it sounded s Hut more close to being a done deal . Whatcha think?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:03 - Jul 19 with 4526 viewsNazemariner

I read that as we might be signing two players
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:05 - Jul 19 with 4492 viewsGuthrum

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:00 - Jul 19 by ArnieM

Agreed. Phil’s report said , linked, this other one said , about to sign..... I know this could be classed as nit picking , but just thought it sounded s Hut more close to being a done deal . Whatcha think?

Difficult to tell if someone is reading more into it that is really justified, or if they have some def info.

Phil was rather pouring cold water on it yesterday:

Bury have a CVA by PhilTWTD 18 Jul 2019 16:48
He terminated his contract so I don't think that changes his situation. But I'm not sure there's any interest from us beyond him being on our radar given his availability.

Login to get fewer ads

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:07 - Jul 19 with 4498 viewsSaigonTractor

Bury supporting mate of mine just told me "He was probably our worst starting 11 player" which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

However that article seems pretty high on him so honestly I'm not sure what to think. At this point I'd take anyone who's ever played in central defence.
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:10 - Jul 19 with 4438 viewsArnieM

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:05 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Difficult to tell if someone is reading more into it that is really justified, or if they have some def info.

Phil was rather pouring cold water on it yesterday:

Bury have a CVA by PhilTWTD 18 Jul 2019 16:48
He terminated his contract so I don't think that changes his situation. But I'm not sure there's any interest from us beyond him being on our radar given his availability.

Oh well, it’ll be what it’ll be I guess. Big no doubting we desperately need some defenders in through the door ASAP. We’ll see what happens👍

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:11 - Jul 19 with 4443 viewsPhilTWTD

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:55 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

As far as I'm aware it's nothing more than him being potentially on the radar due to his availability. Don't think there's talks or anything like that. Obviously we've got another centre-half, James Wilson, on trial at the moment, so seems less likely that Thompson will happen.
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:20 - Jul 19 with 4370 viewsGuthrum

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:11 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

As far as I'm aware it's nothing more than him being potentially on the radar due to his availability. Don't think there's talks or anything like that. Obviously we've got another centre-half, James Wilson, on trial at the moment, so seems less likely that Thompson will happen.

On the surface, it would appear Thompson's pedigree (Captain of a promotion-winning team) is better than Wilson's (older, patchy recent career). Both have some experience in L1.

Tho perhaps a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, with Wilson already in the door and on trial.

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:32 - Jul 19 with 4285 viewsPhilTWTD

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:20 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

On the surface, it would appear Thompson's pedigree (Captain of a promotion-winning team) is better than Wilson's (older, patchy recent career). Both have some experience in L1.

Tho perhaps a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, with Wilson already in the door and on trial.

I think Wilson has more experience at League One level and has been at a bigger club, Sheffield United, so his pedigree is probably slightly the better, although not a huge amount in it and, as you say, wasn't a regular last season. I'd expect him to play tonight, so we can get a look at him.
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:53 - Jul 19 with 4141 viewschicoazul

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:32 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

I think Wilson has more experience at League One level and has been at a bigger club, Sheffield United, so his pedigree is probably slightly the better, although not a huge amount in it and, as you say, wasn't a regular last season. I'd expect him to play tonight, so we can get a look at him.

And I guess Wilson will take £500 a week plus expenses.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:57 - Jul 19 with 4103 viewsPhilTWTD

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:53 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

And I guess Wilson will take £500 a week plus expenses.

Probably similar wage expectations - in Thompson's case also that he'll actually be paid by his next club - given they've both been with clubs towards the top of League Two.
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:56 - Jul 19 with 3831 viewsfactual_blue

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 09:11 - Jul 19 by PhilTWTD

Do we actually have a club radar then? Makes sense, as radar was developed at Felixstowe.

I think this is actually the club radar in operation

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:57 - Jul 19 with 3818 viewsSteve_M

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:56 - Jul 19 by factual_blue

Do we actually have a club radar then? Makes sense, as radar was developed at Felixstowe.

Ahem, Felixstowe?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:58 - Jul 19 with 3800 viewsPhilTWTD

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:57 - Jul 19 by Steve_M

Ahem, Felixstowe?

Think he means the other side of the river!
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:59 - Jul 19 with 3786 viewsxrayspecs

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 08:44 - Jul 19 by PJH

The football club is a single entity. Therefore ITFC is.
Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:00 - Jul 19 with 3772 viewsFixed_It

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:56 - Jul 19 by factual_blue

Bawdsey is more factual.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:03 - Jul 19 with 3741 viewsfactual_blue

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:00 - Jul 19 by Fixed_It

Bawdsey is more factual.

The birthplace of gardener Percy Thrower.

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:04 - Jul 19 with 3726 viewsfactual_blue

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:57 - Jul 19 by Steve_M

Ahem, Felixstowe?

I was using the broad brush approach suitable for tourists, rather the TWTD International Pedantry Club.

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:08 - Jul 19 with 3697 viewsBiGDonnie

There's only one Ipswich Town lad!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:45 - Jul 19 with 3482 viewsGeoffSentence

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 10:59 - Jul 19 by xrayspecs

The football club is a single entity. Therefore ITFC is.

Grammar Schmammar. I am in the "Ipswich Town are" camp on this, it just sounds right. Though if they had gone long-winded with Ipswich Town Football Club, then 'is' would have sounded better then.

For me, Ipswich or Ipswich Town refers to a wider collective rather than a single entity and so 'are' works, but ITFC or Ipswich Town Football Club refers to that single entity and so 'is' works better there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Town to sign Bury captain & defender?? on 11:50 - Jul 19 with 3444 viewsLesta_Tractor

An annoying bit of American English which is becoming more prevalent over here...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024