Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? 10:35 - Jul 19 with 1070 viewsSteve_M

There are reasonable concerns about the way Thames Water has financed this project but it is necessary to stop existing sewers overflowing into the Thames.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/19/extinction-rebellion-protest

Similarly non-payment of council tax, even if it achieves significant momentum, will only penalise councils already struggling after years of Tory austerity.

The initial publicity-generating, minimally disruptive protests were - in my view - a good thing. This new wave isn't.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 10:41]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

When does concenrn for the cliamte drift into Nimbyism? on 10:40 - Jul 19 with 1051 viewsStokieBlue

I just read this and came here to post about it.

It's utterly stupid and shows a total lack of scientific understanding of how things were before Bazalgette's huge achievement in building the London sewer system. I can understand they don't like the lorries, nobody would but whilst it's a short-term inconvenience, having non-functioning sewers is a long-term disaster.

I wonder how Heather Mulkerrins feels about the possibility of her children and others getting properly horrible diseases from sewage overflows? Nobody disagrees that air pollution is bad but they have lost the plot here.

"The initial publicity-generating, minimally disruptive protests were - in my view - a good thing. This new wave isn't."

Totally agree.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 10:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

When does concenrn for the cliamte drift into Nimbyism? on 10:40 - Jul 19 with 1050 viewschicoazul

The thing is, everyone involved in this article is right and so are you. Lorries are bad pollutants; they need to build the tunnel; climate change is an existential crisis; and Thames have questions to answer about financing (although I only know a very tiny bit about this).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

When does concenrn for the cliamte drift into Nimbyism? on 10:41 - Jul 19 with 1044 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If they are worried about traffic, they live in the wrong place!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 10:53 - Jul 19 with 1008 viewsGuthrum

The best way to defeat the climate crisis is through development and technology (i.e. effective, low-cost, non-polluting systems).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 10:59 - Jul 19 with 983 viewschicoazul

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 10:53 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

The best way to defeat the climate crisis is through development and technology (i.e. effective, low-cost, non-polluting systems).

Nuclear.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:08 - Jul 19 with 967 viewsGuthrum

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 10:59 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

Nuclear.

Including nuclear, yes. But also better energy storage, including small scale for transport.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 11:09]

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:10 - Jul 19 with 957 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:08 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Including nuclear, yes. But also better energy storage, including small scale for transport.

While we are on the subject of green energy, whatever happened to 'dynamo' lights for bikes?

So many bikes on the road these days, with so many lights!

Its an outrage.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:14 - Jul 19 with 950 viewschicoazul

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:08 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Nah no need. Give everyone an electric car and build a nuclear power plant in every town in the country.

Login to get fewer ads

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:16 - Jul 19 with 947 viewsGuthrum

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:10 - Jul 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

While we are on the subject of green energy, whatever happened to 'dynamo' lights for bikes?

Its an outrage.

Cheap rechargeable batteries. Also don't slow you down and continue working when stationary.

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:17 - Jul 19 with 947 viewsStokieBlue

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:10 - Jul 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its an outrage.

Although they are LED now which take very little power.

Dynamos are technically converting your calories into light so better factor in the food miles from your lunch for the actual energy comparison (although in reality it's only about 1mph worth of energy).

:)

They are still popular across Europe I believe.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jul 2019 11:17]

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:21 - Jul 19 with 936 viewsfooters

The sooner we get the Brexit papers signed the better.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:23 - Jul 19 with 933 viewsGuthrum

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:14 - Jul 19 by chicoazul

Nah no need. Give everyone an electric car and build a nuclear power plant in every town in the country.

But you need the batteries to store power generated in the nuclear station for use when driving the car!

Unless you plan on a small reactor for each vehicle (same as the Curiosity rover on Mars).

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:27 - Jul 19 with 916 viewsGeoffSentence

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 10:53 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

Pooh less.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:41 - Jul 19 with 889 viewsStokieBlue

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:23 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

But you need the batteries to store power generated in the nuclear station for use when driving the car!

Unless you plan on a small reactor for each vehicle (same as the Curiosity rover on Mars).

A RTG isn't really a reactor, it generates energy from the heat produce by the decay of radioisotopes.

What we need is a Mr Fusion.

SB

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 12:08 - Jul 19 with 856 viewsGuthrum

When does concern for the climate drift into Nimbyism? on 11:27 - Jul 19 by GeoffSentence

Pooh less.

Poor old Winnie.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024