Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? 06:12 - Jul 24 with 1449 viewsbluelagos

What an indictment on the state of our politics when bumbling away in Latin is deemed more important than honesty, integrity or abilty.

I despair, I really do.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:56 - Jul 24 with 1346 viewsSibelius8

Ego omnino assentior.
Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:57 - Jul 24 with 1343 viewsMullet

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:56 - Jul 24 by Sibelius8

Ego omnino assentior.

Sic transit Gloria mundi Boris.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 20:09 - Jul 26 with 1249 viewsRyorry

Being serious for a mo, whilst I hated it at school, didn't see the point & didn't bother (record low exam mark of 16%) I now really wish I had bothered - for someone who's fascinated by words & writing, it would have been incredibly useful & interesting now to have learned the derivation & latin roots of so many. Which was then available for free!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 22:52 - Jul 26 with 1196 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 20:09 - Jul 26 by Ryorry

Being serious for a mo, whilst I hated it at school, didn't see the point & didn't bother (record low exam mark of 16%) I now really wish I had bothered - for someone who's fascinated by words & writing, it would have been incredibly useful & interesting now to have learned the derivation & latin roots of so many. Which was then available for free!

It was probably a function of the way it was taught. Had we been told of the significance and the history behind it, maybe it would have been more interesting (or maybe we were told and I wasn’t paying attention!). All I remember is rote learning phrases like Caecilius est in dormitorio .

That’s the benefit of a private schooling rooted in archaic traditions. You had to learn latin to converse with nanny!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 22:53 - Jul 26 with 1193 viewslowhouseblue

i could have been a judge but i never had the latin.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 23:02 - Jul 26 with 1177 viewsmojo

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 20:09 - Jul 26 by Ryorry

Very useful for botanical and bird names etc too Ryorry.
Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:00 - Jul 27 with 1110 viewssolemio

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:57 - Jul 24 by Mullet

Sic transit Gloria mundi Boris.

Seek train seat Gloria Monday.
Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:04 - Jul 27 with 1104 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 08:00 - Jul 27 by solemio

Seek train seat Gloria Monday.

That’s it, it’s simple. Just stick io on the end of proper words to turn the into Latin. It’s a bit like Welsh.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 12:25 - Jul 27 with 1025 viewsronnyd

Never had the choice at Haverhill Sec. Mod. in the 50s. Was crap at French anyway.
Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 12:27 - Jul 27 with 1024 viewsRyorry

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 23:02 - Jul 26 by mojo

Very useful for botanical and bird names etc too Ryorry.

Good points!

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 12:31 - Jul 27 with 1015 viewsRyorry

Anyone else wish they'd tried harder at Latin? on 22:52 - Jul 26 by Swansea_Blue

It was probably a function of the way it was taught. Had we been told of the significance and the history behind it, maybe it would have been more interesting (or maybe we were told and I wasn’t paying attention!). All I remember is rote learning phrases like Caecilius est in dormitorio .

That’s the benefit of a private schooling rooted in archaic traditions. You had to learn latin to converse with nanny!

You're right - I was good at English, both lang & lit, & known for being keen on those as well as the natural world, so you'd have thought that one or other of the teachers would have had the wit to say something along the lines of how useful a knowledge of Latin would be for those subjects ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024