Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
question.... 08:22 - Jul 24 with 3317 viewsblueysbackside

What would it take for Lambert to play TWO up front?
Jackson must have boosted his claims for a starting spot with his pre-season form.
Surely, we are a better side with Jackson and Norwood up front (as a defender, I wouldn't want to face both as a strikeforce?
Or are we better with just Norwood playing as a lone frontman?
As things stand, if Norwood gets injured, I dread to think what might happen this season.
question.... on 08:24 - Jul 24 with 3305 views3_5_2

For me, this has to happen

We are going to concede goals so will need to be sharp at the other end to get results
and they looked decent at Col U

However, I think he will go one up sadly

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

question.... on 08:29 - Jul 24 with 3277 viewsBlueBadger

To be a halfway decent manager?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

question.... on 09:07 - Jul 24 with 3236 viewsLB27

question.... on 08:29 - Jul 24 by BlueBadger

To be a halfway decent manager?

If/when judge goes it will give us another reason to play two up front. But even so we’ll probably still see Norwood up there on his Tod at Burton.
question.... on 09:20 - Jul 24 with 3209 viewsJammyDodgerrr

2 up front does not equal more goals or more attacking. Pretty sure our problem was not converting those chances.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

question.... on 09:22 - Jul 24 with 3204 viewshampstead_blue

I've been hankering for this for a long while yet.

We've been on a slide since this tactic was introduced.
We simply don't have players good enough to make this work.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

tell me what you think about me... on 09:24 - Jul 24 with 3194 viewsSwansea_Blue

I buy my own diamonds and I buy my own rings....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

question.... on 09:27 - Jul 24 with 3188 viewsSwansea_Blue

question.... on 09:22 - Jul 24 by hampstead_blue

I've been hankering for this for a long while yet.

We've been on a slide since this tactic was introduced.
We simply don't have players good enough to make this work.

Probably a lot in that. A one upfront either needs support from two lively wingers/wide forwards, or from the midfielders pushing on and a good foil at number 10 (either as a creator or runner). We tend to have none of those boxes ticked very well. We've steady midfielders, none of whom are a particular goal threat. With Freddie out our wider and support striker roles are struggling too.

I'm a big fan of 451/433 in the right team, but maybe we do need to go back to basics a bit more.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

question.... on 09:28 - Jul 24 with 3187 viewsbracknell_blue

If Judge goes it will be easier to play two up top. 2 wide midfielders, 2 central/holding plus Norwood/Jackson would certianly do the job for me. Judge complicates things so if he wants to go let him sling his hook.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Login to get fewer ads

question.... on 09:34 - Jul 24 with 3168 viewsGooders7592

Norwood Jackson

Rowe Downes Huws Edwards

(insert back 4 & GK)
question.... on 11:34 - Jul 24 with 3078 viewsGerkensBeard

Lambert is always gonna stick to his 4-3-3. We’ll only see 4-4-2 if were trailing I feel. It was the perfect opportunity last night to give Norwood and Jackson 60 minutes playing together to develop a strike partnership against low level opposition.
When Judge goes well play a slightly different way. There will be no number 10. It will be a high energy 3 with a player like Huws or Nolan encouraged to get in the box.
Basically last night was an absolute waste of a friendly. We should of been getting our back 4 for Burton nailed down these last few weeks. What was the point of last night.
question.... on 11:44 - Jul 24 with 3070 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It may well take us being 1-0 down in a few games, going with two up front and suddenly looking much better.

2-1 aggregate against Colchester and Notts County in 3 halves of football with 1 up front against 4-0 in 1 half of football. is telling.

Of course, it's not all that simple, because you lose a man from somewhere else. But with Jackson and Norwood both looking so impressive it would be good to imagine we could play a 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

question.... on 12:47 - Jul 24 with 3030 viewsSomethingBlue

It would take a time machine to the 1990s.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

question.... on 12:49 - Jul 24 with 3024 viewsSteve_M

question.... on 12:47 - Jul 24 by SomethingBlue

It would take a time machine to the 1990s.

Any idea where we might get one of those?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

It would probably take.... on 13:01 - Jul 24 with 3006 viewsBloots

....a "must win" home game to avoid relegation against a club like Reading.

Oh, hang on......

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

question.... on 13:15 - Jul 24 with 2979 viewschristiand

'IF' AJ goes to QPR, the personnel that PL has makes it more sensible to play two up front with Huws playing behind Norwood and Jackson in a diamond midfield. Skuse or Dozzell (If he hasn't signed for Norwich) at the base, Lankester or Edwards on the right with Rowe or Gubbutt on the left. Just makes us look more of an attacking threat than what we are currently with 1 up top and Judge playing behind in that Number 10 role. I'd be disappointed to see AJ go, he is a game changer, but it's certainly not the end of the world and if anything the change in formation makes us more of an attacking threat. Just not convinced PL will change, he seems to stick with his favoured formation and isn't one for turning, like most managers.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

question.... on 13:39 - Jul 24 with 2951 viewsBigManBlue

Sans Judge, this seems logical, since all of our remaining midfielders are well suited to playing in the centre and our wingers seem more like traditional widemen than inside forwards.

And although I haven't rated Jackson at all up to now, it could be that at this level his pace might be more noticeable, even if it only serves to give Norwood more time and space. We'd probably need another CF to make this work with Freddy out though, one injury would see us flailing around for yet another system.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

question.... on 13:43 - Jul 24 with 2943 viewsITFC_Forever

When PL finally realises we aren't good enough collectively or individually to play one up-front.

When we have one up-front, the poor sod who is the forward is usually 30-40 yards further forward than anyone else in a blue shirt, so feeds off scraps. He then has to resort to dropping deep / going wide to get the ball, and as no-one comes up to support, he then has the ball, but no-one in the box to pass / cross to.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

question.... on 13:46 - Jul 24 with 2932 viewsbraveblue

Judge will go. Back four. Two
Holding. Three in front. One up front. It is all he knows. We will fail badly and it will then be changed.
question.... on 13:49 - Jul 24 with 2924 viewsPositivelyPortman

Perhaps he’s got a bit of the old MM about him?
Fans keep suggesting formations, and he’ll go out of his way to do the opposite.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024