Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on Cambridge game... 16:19 - Jul 27 with 2507 viewsjasondozzell

Norwood is all I hoped he would be. Impressed. Puts himself about and is intelligent - movement is good and tesds game well. Very tidy and lays it off well. Has fire in his belly. Noticable how many times he was quick to show frustrations to midfielders when they didn't spot the ball to play him in. Was unlucky not to score.

We look good going forward - players like Judge, Dozzell etc will create chances in League one. We moved the ball nicely and were perhaps unlucky not to score. At times final ball still lacking. Judge made a big impact on second half though. He gets us playing.

A bit shaky defensively. Not convinced by Guthrie or Wilson but both looked committed and physically up to it. Woolfeden should start - composed, confident and reads game well. Makes good forward runs too.

Downes best player today. Rush of blood at end not good, but otherwise he was outstanding. Tidy, tenacious and with Skuse gave us an excellent platform.

Holy impressive. Commanding in air as you would expect and v good concentration. Think Bart might find it tough to get back in!

Huws looks strong and another excellent option in midfield. Very good to see him involved yet again.

Bailey Clements gave his all and looked promising, but is light and pushed off the ball too often. If Kenlock is injured LB is a worry.

Overall a decent performance. Too early to say what will happen but we should be v competitive.
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:24 - Jul 27 with 2414 viewspointofblue

Thanks for the review. I presume Garbutt will drop back to LB if Kenlock is out.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:30 - Jul 27 with 2351 viewsSouperJim

Good assessment. I also enjoyed watching El Mizouni second half, certainly has something about him. Took the wrong option once or twice on the ball, but was confident and direct coming forward. Thought he was excellent off the ball, really pressed Cambridge and didn't let them get comfortable. Busy little player, great stuff.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:39 - Jul 27 with 2268 viewsKeaneish

Agree with all of that. Too many unforced errors from Clements and looks like he needs some good strength and conditioning work done too.

Bit disappointed in Donacien today. Expected more going forward. OK defensively but we need better in that role playing a diamond.

Garbutt signed as a left midfielder by the look of it, not sure yet. Looks a bit too tentative at the mo.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:39 - Jul 27 with 2257 viewsjasondozzell

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:24 - Jul 27 by pointofblue

Thanks for the review. I presume Garbutt will drop back to LB if Kenlock is out.

Yes, hadn't thought of that! Would make sense.
I was impressed with Garbutt too. Technically good and put in some excellent crosses with that left foot.
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:41 - Jul 27 with 2235 viewsjasondozzell

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:30 - Jul 27 by SouperJim

Good assessment. I also enjoyed watching El Mizouni second half, certainly has something about him. Took the wrong option once or twice on the ball, but was confident and direct coming forward. Thought he was excellent off the ball, really pressed Cambridge and didn't let them get comfortable. Busy little player, great stuff.

Thanks!
Yes agree - although was it Mizouni or Dobra? Think it might have been Dobra. Very positive as you say. Lots of promising youngsters!
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:44 - Jul 27 with 2191 viewsFreddies_Ears

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:41 - Jul 27 by jasondozzell

Thanks!
Yes agree - although was it Mizouni or Dobra? Think it might have been Dobra. Very positive as you say. Lots of promising youngsters!

It was Dobra.
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:46 - Jul 27 with 2173 viewsSouperJim

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:41 - Jul 27 by jasondozzell

Thanks!

Ah yeah, think you're right, was Dobra.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:55 - Jul 27 with 2100 viewsSWGF

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Woolfenden was indeed very composed and, to my eyes, deserves his chance. Neither of the triallists stood out but I'd say Wilson looked more limited (and Guthrie is left footed).

Dozzell needs to be stamping his mark on games at this level. If we have a midfield three of Downes, Huws with Judge in front of them, that's decent for the Champ let alone L1. He needs to find a way to impose himself more and affect matches.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 17:44 - Jul 27 with 1833 views3_5_2

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 16:55 - Jul 27 by SWGF

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Woolfenden was indeed very composed and, to my eyes, deserves his chance. Neither of the triallists stood out but I'd say Wilson looked more limited (and Guthrie is left footed).

Dozzell needs to be stamping his mark on games at this level. If we have a midfield three of Downes, Huws with Judge in front of them, that's decent for the Champ let alone L1. He needs to find a way to impose himself more and affect matches.

thought Woolfie did with, surprised me with his turn of pace Agree re the 2 trialists, Guthrie for me because a left footer

When Nolan and Edwards return and if Huws stays fir, Judge stays, PL will have a nice problem giving them all a game

Got to play Jackson with Norwood (who I really like already) as his pace will be the difference given we don't have a natural target man although again, Norwood does well in that area too

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 17:48 - Jul 27 with 1801 viewsDarth_Koont

Encouraging. And good to hear you think we'll be competitive.

I haven't seen anything pre-season but we need to become a better team than we were last season. We had our moments but they were 10-15 minute spells and even during that it was difficult to see how the midfielders were linking up with the attackers. Then the ball squirts out to an opposition player 45 yards from our goal, our defence panics and we're 1-0 down anyway.

Promotion sides are more purposeful with or without the ball, and closer together. So let's hope Lambert already has a clear idea of our best side and how to get us properly organized.

Pronouns: He/Him

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 09:57 - Jul 28 with 1219 viewsitfc_bucks

I worry if Kenlock is fit. Both fullback positions are taken by players woefully short of the required standard.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 9:58]
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 10:23 - Jul 28 with 1140 viewsbrogansnose

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 09:57 - Jul 28 by itfc_bucks

I worry if Kenlock is fit. Both fullback positions are taken by players woefully short of the required standard.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 9:58]

Woefully might be going a bit too far but you're right in that we need better for both positions. Defence still concerns me and we need another striker unless we're waiting for Freddie to get fit, which isn't ideal.
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 10:37 - Jul 28 with 1094 viewsitfc_bucks

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 10:23 - Jul 28 by brogansnose

Woefully might be going a bit too far but you're right in that we need better for both positions. Defence still concerns me and we need another striker unless we're waiting for Freddie to get fit, which isn't ideal.

Kenlock gets let off so much for being an academy product. Jonas was streets ahead of him and got dogs abuse and now look where we are.

Likewise Josh Emmanuel. Always a ricket in there somewhere, take the Notts County game as example.

I feel we say this every pre season, but a quality right back is essential. We also need a left back, less urgently, but still pretty important. Adding Garbutt will hopefully give better protection down that side than we've had for a while. A new Striker, I could take or leave at this stage, shoring up the back line is more important.
Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 10:54 - Jul 28 with 1049 viewsWestcountryblue

Thoughts on Cambridge game... on 10:37 - Jul 28 by itfc_bucks

Kenlock gets let off so much for being an academy product. Jonas was streets ahead of him and got dogs abuse and now look where we are.

Likewise Josh Emmanuel. Always a ricket in there somewhere, take the Notts County game as example.

I feel we say this every pre season, but a quality right back is essential. We also need a left back, less urgently, but still pretty important. Adding Garbutt will hopefully give better protection down that side than we've had for a while. A new Striker, I could take or leave at this stage, shoring up the back line is more important.

Nasty, big striker like Murphy and an experienced CB like Ridgewell and we are good to go. Ticks the cover box and ticks the 'need experience' box. Wouldn't break the bank.

I agree, i'd move Woolfenden to RB and Garbutt to LB. As you say, both academy players still have too many costly mistakes in them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024