Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland and Portsmouth 10:10 - Jul 28 with 6482 viewsAsh1987

Are the teams to beat this season.

Sunderland have the best squad IMO this season with Portsmouth second.

Sunderland have sold 24,000 ST's. Pompey have sold 14,500 season tickets which is capped due to capacity and had an additional 12,000 applications. Both stadiums will be packed and their home form will be great.

Question is, can we finish above either?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:13 - Jul 28 with 4218 viewsMattinLondon

Yes.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:13 - Jul 28 with 4218 viewsGeoffSentence

Since we are going to get 138 points I don't think it is possible for either of them to finish above us.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:14 - Jul 28 with 4212 viewsHerbivore

Pompey don't have a stronger squad than us. One of their marquee signings was a player surplus to requirements here. I'm not convinced Sunderland are better either. I think it'll be tight at the top but I don't think there's anyone we should fear or feel we're inferior to.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:22 - Jul 28 with 4154 viewsAsh1987

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:14 - Jul 28 by Herbivore

Pompey don't have a stronger squad than us. One of their marquee signings was a player surplus to requirements here. I'm not convinced Sunderland are better either. I think it'll be tight at the top but I don't think there's anyone we should fear or feel we're inferior to.

Pompey and Sunderland do have stronger squads than us.

If we finish top 6, it'll be a good season. We lack up front and defensively I fear for us.

We have a good midfield though.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:31 - Jul 28 with 4108 viewsGerkensBeard

I don’t fear either to be honest. I work with a Pompey fan. Clarke gone, haven’t really replaced him. Jamal Lowe is refusing to play until he gets a move. They will be organised and top 6 but I feel last year they should of absolutely gone up.
I don’t fear Sunderland under Jack Ross. If they don’t get up and running he could be off. Leadbitter and Cattermole are an ageing pair in midfield, Grigg and Wyke weren’t exactly banging goals in last season. They play a combative style with the other team normally dominating possession hoping to hit them on the break.

Peterborough I feel have what it takes to go up. Signed a keeper everyone in this league were after in Pym. Alex Woodyard is there captain and holding midfielder, only 26 will play in the championship for definite at some point. They still somehow have Marcus Maddison, George Boyd who I don’t necessarily rate but will take the piss against lower league 1 sides.They signed Mo Eisa from Bristol city for a few quid to partner Ivan Toney who got 20 last season
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:33 - Jul 28 with 4092 viewsFunge

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:31 - Jul 28 by GerkensBeard

I don’t fear either to be honest. I work with a Pompey fan. Clarke gone, haven’t really replaced him. Jamal Lowe is refusing to play until he gets a move. They will be organised and top 6 but I feel last year they should of absolutely gone up.
I don’t fear Sunderland under Jack Ross. If they don’t get up and running he could be off. Leadbitter and Cattermole are an ageing pair in midfield, Grigg and Wyke weren’t exactly banging goals in last season. They play a combative style with the other team normally dominating possession hoping to hit them on the break.

Peterborough I feel have what it takes to go up. Signed a keeper everyone in this league were after in Pym. Alex Woodyard is there captain and holding midfielder, only 26 will play in the championship for definite at some point. They still somehow have Marcus Maddison, George Boyd who I don’t necessarily rate but will take the piss against lower league 1 sides.They signed Mo Eisa from Bristol city for a few quid to partner Ivan Toney who got 20 last season

Cattermole's been released by the Mackems....

Can see Peterboro being right up there.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:39 - Jul 28 with 4059 viewsWestcountryblue

I would say we have the best squad.

Neither Sunderland nor Portsmouth have the quality of Judge, Huws, Dozzell, Bishop, Lankester, Skuse, Nolan, Edwards and Downes across their midfield. These are players who could comfortably walk into most mid-bottom half of the Championship teams.

Upfront, i think we have sufficient firepower in the likes of Norwood, Jackson and Sears....we just need to go out there and sign a big nasty striker like Murphy to offer us something different off the bench.

Best goalkeepers in the league by a country mile

Chambers, Nsiala are one of the best pairings, but i do have reservations about depth and our cover at FB. Woolfenden could be a huge player for us this year and i'd be keen to play him at RB just to get him in the side rather than faffing around with Donacien and Emmanuel.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:40 - Jul 28 with 4059 viewsGerkensBeard

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Lincoln do what Luton did and go straight through. The momentum they will have having won so many games the last few years.
Rotherham will be organised and up there too.
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:43 - Jul 28 with 4042 viewsGuthrum

We can finish above both without beating either of them.

As long as we win over half our other games (while keeping losses down to about half a dozen), we'll be in with a good chance. The teams to really target are the ones with the weakest squads, giving - theoretically - the easiest victories.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:47 - Jul 28 with 4006 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think we're strong enough at the back and lack depth up front.
I fera we're in for a somewhat slow start, will pick up over winter as we 'acclimatise' to the division and make a late suge when Evans finally cops on that he might need to support his manager or he'll lose more money by staying down than he would funding a cnetre half and centre forward. The late surge sees us finish 7th.
So he sacks Lambert,

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:47 - Jul 28 with 4003 viewsBloomBlue

Neither Sunderland or Portsmouth squad is better than ours. Neither has the quality of youth players as us, we'll easily finish above both
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:51 - Jul 28 with 3975 viewsGerkensBeard

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:47 - Jul 28 by BlueBadger

I fera we're in for a somewhat slow start, will pick up over winter as we 'acclimatise' to the division and make a late suge when Evans finally cops on that he might need to support his manager or he'll lose more money by staying down than he would funding a cnetre half and centre forward. The late surge sees us finish 7th.
So he sacks Lambert,

I feel too that we will start slow. We will dominate possession in just about every game but we will rely heavily on Norwood and Judge staying fit and feel with the so called lesser teams we will still drop points as I don’t think Lambert has ever concentrated on how we defend set pieces since he’s been here.

I’ll make my prediction now for next Saturday 1-1. We score first then get sucker punched by a late corner equaliser
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:00 - Jul 28 with 3925 viewsGuthrum

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:22 - Jul 28 by Ash1987

Pompey and Sunderland do have stronger squads than us.

If we finish top 6, it'll be a good season. We lack up front and defensively I fear for us.

We have a good midfield though.

People are still thinking too much in terms of Championship standard. Portsmouth and Sunderland were among the cream of last season's L1 crop, but they were beaten to automatic promotion by a team whose top League scorer was Kieffer Moore.

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:02 - Jul 28 with 3910 viewsBlueBadger

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:51 - Jul 28 by GerkensBeard

I feel too that we will start slow. We will dominate possession in just about every game but we will rely heavily on Norwood and Judge staying fit and feel with the so called lesser teams we will still drop points as I don’t think Lambert has ever concentrated on how we defend set pieces since he’s been here.

I’ll make my prediction now for next Saturday 1-1. We score first then get sucker punched by a late corner equaliser

Sunderland first home game is tricky one as well. Likely to be a decent crowd and we'll be facing a side who only just missed out that are settled and confident. Fail to get a win in either of those two and the old doubts will start to creep back in for the players.

As it is, we've only won, what, one full game in preseason. Confidence is likely to be hugely fragile early doors.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:05 - Jul 28 with 3883 viewsGuthrum

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:31 - Jul 28 by GerkensBeard

Eisa was very good at Cheltenham a couple of seasons ago.

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:10 - Jul 28 with 3855 viewsSE1blue

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:05 - Jul 28 by Guthrum

Eisa was very good at Cheltenham a couple of seasons ago.

She saved her best performance for Frozen.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:10 - Jul 28 with 3852 viewsGerkensBeard

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:02 - Jul 28 by BlueBadger

Sunderland first home game is tricky one as well. Likely to be a decent crowd and we'll be facing a side who only just missed out that are settled and confident. Fail to get a win in either of those two and the old doubts will start to creep back in for the players.

As it is, we've only won, what, one full game in preseason. Confidence is likely to be hugely fragile early doors.

Yes, Sunderland will come set up to frustrate us. A bit like playing against a McCarthy side and still have the quality at the other end to knick a winner. The nice thing about league 1 though is that the sides will be nowhere near as clinical when you make a mistake. I’m not too worried. Peterborough our toughest game in the opening month. If we can get through those 3 games with 4 points I wouldn’t worry at all
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:10 - Jul 28 with 3849 viewsITFCBlues

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:39 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

I would say we have the best squad.

Neither Sunderland nor Portsmouth have the quality of Judge, Huws, Dozzell, Bishop, Lankester, Skuse, Nolan, Edwards and Downes across their midfield. These are players who could comfortably walk into most mid-bottom half of the Championship teams.

Upfront, i think we have sufficient firepower in the likes of Norwood, Jackson and Sears....we just need to go out there and sign a big nasty striker like Murphy to offer us something different off the bench.

Best goalkeepers in the league by a country mile

Chambers, Nsiala are one of the best pairings, but i do have reservations about depth and our cover at FB. Woolfenden could be a huge player for us this year and i'd be keen to play him at RB just to get him in the side rather than faffing around with Donacien and Emmanuel.

Chambers and nsiala aren't the best CB's in the league. Chambo, let's be honest, was no where near good enough for the Championship last season. Nsiala struggled equally as much. Full back were very weak. Defensively, we're desperate for reinforcements or we could struggle

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:18 - Jul 28 with 3793 viewsHerbivore

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:10 - Jul 28 by ITFCBlues

Chambers and nsiala aren't the best CB's in the league. Chambo, let's be honest, was no where near good enough for the Championship last season. Nsiala struggled equally as much. Full back were very weak. Defensively, we're desperate for reinforcements or we could struggle

I hate to break this to you but we're not playing in the Championship next season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:19 - Jul 28 with 3799 viewspointofblue

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:47 - Jul 28 by BlueBadger

So he sacks Lambert,

You may have a point but the question is if we don't finish top six who finishes above us? Sunderland, Portsmouth, Peterborough, maybe Rotherham with their yoyo experience... then who? Maybe Fleetwood - though Joey Barton is always one step away from self-combusting - and Coventry but they don't have a home to call their own. I think we have a better squad than the other teams.

Unless our injury crisis worsens, which is a possibility, I don't think Lambert has any excuse not to get us into the top six this season. Three more players to strengthen and we should be making a tilt for the top two.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:22 - Jul 28 with 3776 viewsjas0999

Bet Victor in their League One preview, with predicted finishes for teams, agree with you. They have Sunderland and Pompey as one, two. They have us third.

If Evans secures the three additions that Lambert wants then we stand a chance.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 11:25]
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:25 - Jul 28 with 3759 viewsITFCBlues

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:22 - Jul 28 by jas0999

Bet Victor in their League One preview, with predicted finishes for teams, agree with you. They have Sunderland and Pompey as one, two. They have us third.

If Evans secures the three additions that Lambert wants then we stand a chance.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 11:25]

We really do need to start getting these players in that we're chasing. Too many holes in the squad as it stands. We must sign 1 or 2 this week

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:52 - Jul 28 with 3662 viewssundaze

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:47 - Jul 28 by BloomBlue

Neither Sunderland or Portsmouth squad is better than ours. Neither has the quality of youth players as us, we'll easily finish above both

I would change the last part of your post to, We SHOULD easily finish above both.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 12:49 - Jul 28 with 3504 viewsFtnfwest

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 10:40 - Jul 28 by GerkensBeard

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Lincoln do what Luton did and go straight through. The momentum they will have having won so many games the last few years.
Rotherham will be organised and up there too.

This could happen but the difference is that Luton have a much wider ‘skill set’ as it were in terms of footballing ability. Lincoln are long ball which sooner or later runs out of steam, usually the former as mick found out.
Sunderland and Portsmouth on 12:56 - Jul 28 with 3477 viewsWD19

Sunderland and Portsmouth on 11:52 - Jul 28 by sundaze

I would change the last part of your post to, We SHOULD easily finish above both.

This.

Yes, we need a centre back, big man up front and could do better at full back.

But any manager worth his salt would get this squad punching at the top. Even if it meant trading some of the midfield to get in the cover needed.

No excuses....and failure to compete his season will not be Evans ‘fault’. Yes he could make it easier by chucking more money at it.... but he shouldn’t need to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024