Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday Book Suggestions 11:59 - Jul 29 with 1658 viewsSamuelowen88

After the earlier thread RE WW2 book. Made me realise i need to sort our some reading material for holiday.

Anyone got any good suggestions for new or old books to read? I enjoy most genre,
Factual - WW2 stores, adventurer / explorer books, biographies (John SImpsons was good)
Sci Fi
Action
Mystery

pretty much anything. I have access to a large Kindle repository if anyone is interested.

Poll: England v Wales Score

Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:32 - Jul 29 with 1630 viewsfactual_blue

Have you read all the Anthony Beevor books? Stalingrad and Berlin are excellent, D-Day pretty good, Battle of the Bulge less so. Not read Arnhem or Paris.

Max Hastings stuff isn't bad either.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:44 - Jul 29 with 1620 viewsFtnfwest

Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:32 - Jul 29 by factual_blue

Have you read all the Anthony Beevor books? Stalingrad and Berlin are excellent, D-Day pretty good, Battle of the Bulge less so. Not read Arnhem or Paris.

his book on Crete is very good as well
Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:45 - Jul 29 with 1620 viewsSteve_M

Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:32 - Jul 29 by factual_blue

Arnhem is in the very good category too.

The reputations of Montgomery and Browning should be non-existent by now. It sets out the failures in the planning stage, most notably that any Dutch staff officer in training who had proposed driving up a raised straight road - as Garden was supposed to do - would have been failed. The poor soldiers and paratroopers were doomed and the reactions of the Dutch to what they thought was liberation doomed thousands more in the Hunger Winter as the Nazis took revenge.

It made a strong impression on me.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Holiday Book Suggestions on 12:54 - Jul 29 with 1599 viewsDarkHorse

I highly recommend The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.
Holiday Book Suggestions on 13:50 - Jul 29 with 1556 viewslinhdi

Apologies if you have seen this suggestion before, but 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris is a superb novel, very well researched. Set in the early 60s, in Hitler's Germany...
Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:10 - Jul 29 with 1536 viewsfactual_blue

Holiday Book Suggestions on 13:50 - Jul 29 by linhdi

Apologies if you have seen this suggestion before, but 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris is a superb novel, very well researched. Set in the early 60s, in Hitler's Germany...

His recent novel 'Munich' is very good. Shows Chamberlain in a very good light as a man playing a bad hand very well.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:12 - Jul 29 with 1527 viewsGeoffSentence

I can heartily recommend anything by Gregg Dunnett on the adventure book front. Desert Run is probably my particular favourite of his.

On the sSci-Fi front I am currently reading Sunfall by Jim Al-Khalili which I can also recommend

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:15 - Jul 29 with 1518 viewschicoazul

If you like Sci Fi action then my friend Neal Asher is good.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:26 - Jul 29 with 1494 viewsthorpedo

Anything by Ben MacIntyre. He writes true stories, but almost in the style of a novel. Mainly war/spy stories. All his books are brilliant, but if I had to pick one it would be Operation Mincemeat.
Truth is often stranger than fiction......

Thorpedo

Holiday Book Suggestions on 16:23 - Jul 29 with 1464 viewsbluefunk

Linking the WW2 and mystery elements, try the Bernie Gunther books by Phillip Kerr, set in Berlin (and other places) and absolutely superb, as is the John Russell series by David Downing, also set in Berlin. Both books have a real feel for the period (not that I’m any kind of expert)
Holiday Book Suggestions on 01:44 - Jul 30 with 1410 viewsMagic31

Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:26 - Jul 29 by thorpedo

Anything by Ben MacIntyre. He writes true stories, but almost in the style of a novel. Mainly war/spy stories. All his books are brilliant, but if I had to pick one it would be Operation Mincemeat.
Truth is often stranger than fiction......

I second the Ben MacIntyre suggestion, although having only read The Spy and the Traitor I'm not quite as versed in his writings...yet. What a book though, couldn't put it down.

Next up I plan on reading:

SAS Rogue Heroes - Ben MacIntyre
The Second World War - Antony Beevor
Holiday Book Suggestions on 01:58 - Jul 30 with 1406 viewsStNeotsBlue

The Unicorn Road by Martin Davies. Combines a bit of the Silk Road, the great Khan, a secret language, the papacy, love and eternal hope.
Holiday Book Suggestions on 06:35 - Jul 30 with 1356 viewswkj

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/421338.Tyrell

This is an excellent book from a newer author, it is an easy read, but not light reading. Technically it is a book aimed at teen readers, but it is really good all the same.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2019 6:37]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Holiday Book Suggestions on 07:00 - Jul 30 with 1338 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Holiday Book Suggestions on 01:44 - Jul 30 by Magic31

I second the Ben MacIntyre suggestion, although having only read The Spy and the Traitor I'm not quite as versed in his writings...yet. What a book though, couldn't put it down.

Next up I plan on reading:

SAS Rogue Heroes - Ben MacIntyre
The Second World War - Antony Beevor

The Spy and the Traitor is an excellent read.

AA Gill is Away, a collection of travel writing by...........AA Gill.

About to start on The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Holiday Book Suggestions on 07:12 - Jul 30 with 1327 viewsBloomBlue

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

Great book, the KGB confiscated the manuscript originally as thought it was a danger to the Soviet Union.
Holiday Book Suggestions on 07:27 - Jul 30 with 1321 viewssparks

Holiday Book Suggestions on 14:15 - Jul 29 by chicoazul

If you like Sci Fi action then my friend Neal Asher is good.

Interesting. I tried hits Gridlinked not long ago and found it disappointing and lightweight.

Fell well short of Richard Morgan, Alasdair Reynolds and even Peter Hamilton.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024