Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Archer left out 13:50 - Jul 31 with 3877 viewsHerbivore

Interesting. Perhaps he's not fully fit and perhaps the overcast conditions that are forecast are better for our swing bowlers rather than raw pace.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Archer left out on 13:55 - Jul 31 with 2943 viewsWD19

Not proven to be fully fit with a 5 day Test in mind. Also not immediately obvious who should be dropped so the 'easy' decision. Also gives them somewhere to go to 'change it up' if we lose the first Test. That's weak/negative thinking, but there you go....
Archer left out on 13:56 - Jul 31 with 2941 viewsitfc48

They had to go with Woakes as it's his home ground and he also has a very good record there. I think Woakes will play Edgbaston and Lords (where he also has a good record) before making way for Archer at Headingley as they manage his chronic knee problem.
Archer left out on 13:59 - Jul 31 with 2918 viewsHerbivore

Archer left out on 13:56 - Jul 31 by itfc48

They had to go with Woakes as it's his home ground and he also has a very good record there. I think Woakes will play Edgbaston and Lords (where he also has a good record) before making way for Archer at Headingley as they manage his chronic knee problem.

I'd be tempted to drop Broad for Archer rather than Woakes. Woakes is bang in form and gets wickets. He's handy with the bat too in a series where runs will be hard to come by.

Archer left out on 14:03 - Jul 31 with 2898 viewsCoastalblue

It's a sign of the quality of our bowling attack currently that it's an easy decision to leave him out without weakening the attack.

He will undoubtedly profit from the extra recovery time so I think it's the right decision, and as said above, probably better options here.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nah on 14:10 - Jul 31 with 2864 viewsDyland

Archer left out on 13:59 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I'd be tempted to drop Broad for Archer rather than Woakes. Woakes is bang in form and gets wickets. He's handy with the bat too in a series where runs will be hard to come by.

At Edgbaston in the likely conditions Broad is the right choice over Archer, all things considered. To further your point, Broad is also a better batsman than Archer.

EDIT: Woakes has to be picked for Lords as well, if he performs well in the first test. Archer will get his chance at some point in this series, and I can't wait.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 14:11]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Archer left out on 14:11 - Jul 31 with 2854 viewsdavblue

and with Anderson coming back from an injury i suspect they didn't want to risk 2 bowlers and to give him an extra 5 days or so of rest.
Archer left out on 14:13 - Jul 31 with 2851 viewsitfcjoe

Archer left out on 13:59 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Interesting point from Vaughan on TMS the other night - if Archer was in why not just put Woakes in for Burns or Denly and shift everyone up one.

Was saying would you really expect either of them to score more runs than Woakes with the form they are in? hard to argue really.

Denly never looks up to it, surprised he has kept his place, and Burns looks totally shot which is a shame.

I was always one advocating Root going up to 3, but the more I've heard recently the more I think it is a mistake to do so now - he needs to be comfortable wherever he bats and if that is 4 then like Kohli and Smith so be it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nah on 14:15 - Jul 31 with 2835 viewsHerbivore

Nah on 14:10 - Jul 31 by Dyland

At Edgbaston in the likely conditions Broad is the right choice over Archer, all things considered. To further your point, Broad is also a better batsman than Archer.

EDIT: Woakes has to be picked for Lords as well, if he performs well in the first test. Archer will get his chance at some point in this series, and I can't wait.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 14:11]

To clarify I didn't mean drop Broad for him for this first test. I agree conditions are likely to suit Broad better at Edgbaston. Not entirely convinced Broad's batting is still better than any other tail ender. He used to get the odd knock but it's a rarity these days. Woakes on the other hand isn't far off being an all rounder and that counts in his favour for me. He can easily come in and knock off 30 runs down the order and that could be very valuable.

Login to get fewer ads

Archer left out on 14:17 - Jul 31 with 2830 viewsitfc48

Archer left out on 14:13 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Interesting point from Vaughan on TMS the other night - if Archer was in why not just put Woakes in for Burns or Denly and shift everyone up one.

Was saying would you really expect either of them to score more runs than Woakes with the form they are in? hard to argue really.

Denly never looks up to it, surprised he has kept his place, and Burns looks totally shot which is a shame.

I was always one advocating Root going up to 3, but the more I've heard recently the more I think it is a mistake to do so now - he needs to be comfortable wherever he bats and if that is 4 then like Kohli and Smith so be it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see young Ollie Pope in at 4 by the end of the series. The only trouble is there's not much red-ball cricket going on right now so any batsman they call up is going to be undercooked.
Archer left out on 14:20 - Jul 31 with 2816 viewsHerbivore

That's not a bad shout. We have very few batsmen who can play at the top of the order who look likely to get runs so there's an argument to be made that our best chance is to hope the middle order fire and to put out a bowling attack capable of running through the Aussies.

Nah on 14:20 - Jul 31 with 2815 viewsDyland

Nah on 14:15 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

To clarify I didn't mean drop Broad for him for this first test. I agree conditions are likely to suit Broad better at Edgbaston. Not entirely convinced Broad's batting is still better than any other tail ender. He used to get the odd knock but it's a rarity these days. Woakes on the other hand isn't far off being an all rounder and that counts in his favour for me. He can easily come in and knock off 30 runs down the order and that could be very valuable.

It's been a rarity ever since his knock on the bonce, but he still has it in him and is as close to an all rounder as Woakes... though neither are close to being so of course.

Nah on 14:21 - Jul 31 with 2802 viewsHerbivore

Nah on 14:20 - Jul 31 by Dyland

It's been a rarity ever since his knock on the bonce, but he still has it in him and is as close to an all rounder as Woakes... though neither are close to being so of course.

It's a few years since he took a knock and he's been close to hopeless ever since. I think you're overestimating Broad's ability to contribute with the bat these days, he's certainly not as good as Woakes with the bat.

Nah on 14:23 - Jul 31 with 2791 viewsDyland

Nah on 14:21 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

It's a few years since he took a knock and he's been close to hopeless ever since. I think you're overestimating Broad's ability to contribute with the bat these days, he's certainly not as good as Woakes with the bat.

I don't disagree with that.

Broad is more likely to be useful with the bat than Archer though, which was (part of) my original point.

Archer left out on 14:24 - Jul 31 with 2784 viewsitfcjoe

Archer left out on 14:20 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

That's not a bad shout. We have very few batsmen who can play at the top of the order who look likely to get runs so there's an argument to be made that our best chance is to hope the middle order fire and to put out a bowling attack capable of running through the Aussies.

I think any bowling attack should be able to run through this Aussie lineup, going to be a low scoring series

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nah on 14:25 - Jul 31 with 2777 viewsHerbivore

Nah on 14:23 - Jul 31 by Dyland

I don't disagree with that.

Broad is more likely to be useful with the bat than Archer though, which was (part of) my original point.

I'm not convinced by that either to be honest. Archer didn't do much in the World Cup but he averages over 30 with the bat in first class cricket. Broad's average is very much in decline I'd be interested to see what it is over the last 3-4 years and I suspect if it's into double figures then it's only there by a fine margin.

Archer left out on 14:26 - Jul 31 with 2773 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah I heard that too.

The counter argument was that we'd have too many bowlers & that would cause confusion for Root.

The counter counter argument would then be Stokes just plays as a batter.

All in all I think they've got it right for this test.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 14:28]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Archer left out on 14:27 - Jul 31 with 2769 viewsReuser_is_God

I think having Anderson & Archer both with fitness worries would've been a big risk.

I think they've got it right here.

Evans out

Nah on 14:29 - Jul 31 with 2758 viewsDyland

Nah on 14:25 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I'm not convinced by that either to be honest. Archer didn't do much in the World Cup but he averages over 30 with the bat in first class cricket. Broad's average is very much in decline I'd be interested to see what it is over the last 3-4 years and I suspect if it's into double figures then it's only there by a fine margin.

You have a valid point. All things considered though Broad (and/or Woakes) for Archer is the right choice for this test imo. And I'm a big fan of Archer :)

Nah on 14:33 - Jul 31 with 2741 viewsReuser_is_God

Nah on 14:25 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Woakes averages nearly 40 in home tests.

You're quite right, Broad is now a poor batsman. Woakes far better.

Evans out

Nah on 14:48 - Jul 31 with 2689 viewsHerbivore

Nah on 14:29 - Jul 31 by Dyland

You have a valid point. All things considered though Broad (and/or Woakes) for Archer is the right choice for this test imo. And I'm a big fan of Archer :)

Agreed, for this test I think they've got it about right. It will be a tougher pick in some of the matches to come I reckon.

Archer left out on 15:11 - Jul 31 with 2633 viewsfranz_tyson

If Root is OK moving up to 3, why not go further and make him open with Roy? There’s a good chance he’ll be at the wicket within 5 overs anyway. He started his career opening, so why not take one for the team .These batting orders of 3 and 4 are based on coming in at 130-1 or 130-2, but, so often, it’s 30-2 or 30-3.
We’ve got plenty of decent middle order batsmen (4 to 7) so get them in the team, rather than wasting time with Denly and Burns.
Archer left out on 15:19 - Jul 31 with 2619 viewschristiand

There were reports he was carrying an injury during the World Cup so that could be the reason. Nevertheless, the bowling department is England's strength, although I would've liked to have seen Sam Curran in there. It's the batting I'm more worried about, some of them seem to be struggling to know which end to hold the bat at the moment.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Archer left out on 15:25 - Jul 31 with 2594 viewsRadlett_blue

I've also heard Australia are going to leave out Mitchell Starc, their quickest bowler. Again, he may be carrying an injury but Edgbaston isn't usually a surface suited to raw pace.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Archer left out on 15:27 - Jul 31 with 2587 viewschristiand

Archer left out on 15:25 - Jul 31 by Radlett_blue

I've also heard Australia are going to leave out Mitchell Starc, their quickest bowler. Again, he may be carrying an injury but Edgbaston isn't usually a surface suited to raw pace.

I'd be really surprised if that's true, think that's more mind games from the Aussies. The fact is although Starc is quick, he can swing the ball too. Besides he's their best bowler, if he's fit you play him.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Archer left out on 15:28 - Jul 31 with 2586 viewsfranz_tyson

Archer left out on 15:19 - Jul 31 by christiand

There were reports he was carrying an injury during the World Cup so that could be the reason. Nevertheless, the bowling department is England's strength, although I would've liked to have seen Sam Curran in there. It's the batting I'm more worried about, some of them seem to be struggling to know which end to hold the bat at the moment.

I think I’d like Sam Curran in for his batting more than his bowling. I have more faith in his batting than Denly or Burns. Roy’s inclusion is a gamble and with Burns and Denly we’re relying too heavily on Root, Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler. Mo’s so out of form with the bat he can’t be described as an all-rounder anymore and should bat at 8 or 9. I’d have Curran in to add to the lower middle order.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024