Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jobs lost because of Brexit 16:04 - Jul 31 with 4632 viewsgazzer1999

If Britain leaves without a deal all over Europe there will potentially be 1.2 millions jobs lost, that includes Britain.
Are we the most important country in Europe for jobs or would the impact be higher if say France or Germany left?
The 1.2 million is only an estimate from a newspaper so could be higher or lower, no one really knows the true answer.
You would think that a suitable compromise could be made, such as an agreement to free trade between us and Europe, without the need for a backstop which appears to be the stumbling block.
If we leave do we no longer need the goods from Europe or them from Britain?
Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:24 - Jul 31 with 1081 viewsHerbivore

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:17 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

Look on the positive - at least one Brexiteer is acknowledging that it might not be the cleverest move. Ok, it’s wrapped in the current Brexit HQ line that it’s the EU’s fault, but it’s a start.

If there was a way for the EU and UK to maintain the integrity of their borders without a customs union and without the backstop you'd have thought at least one Brexiteer would have said so by now. Instead they're just pointing at the EU and complaining that they can't perform a magic trick for us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:32 - Jul 31 with 1062 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:24 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

If there was a way for the EU and UK to maintain the integrity of their borders without a customs union and without the backstop you'd have thought at least one Brexiteer would have said so by now. Instead they're just pointing at the EU and complaining that they can't perform a magic trick for us.

People need to acknowledge there isn’t an easy and obvious answer without annoying either the Irish in NI, the Unionists in NI, the Unionists in the UK or Brexiteers. And the Brexiteer ‘you lost, get over it’ doesn’t wash as it’s a bilateral issue.

Aren’t Ireland now calling for poll/referendum in NI on a united Ireland in the event of no deal, which (I think) would be in their right under the GFA? Not sure, but think I’ve read something on that. You can imagine the next calls then in Scotland & Wales.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:38 - Jul 31 with 1050 viewsHerbivore

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:32 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

People need to acknowledge there isn’t an easy and obvious answer without annoying either the Irish in NI, the Unionists in NI, the Unionists in the UK or Brexiteers. And the Brexiteer ‘you lost, get over it’ doesn’t wash as it’s a bilateral issue.

Aren’t Ireland now calling for poll/referendum in NI on a united Ireland in the event of no deal, which (I think) would be in their right under the GFA? Not sure, but think I’ve read something on that. You can imagine the next calls then in Scotland & Wales.

It'd be pretty hard for Westminster to extol the virtues of preserving a political and economic union that has created peace and prosperity, whilst simultaneously leaving another union that has done exactly the same.

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:55 - Jul 31 with 1026 viewsBlueBadger

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 17:46 - Jul 31 by SpruceMoose

You're welcome. We all appreciate a good clean fight after all. No biting or gooch punching on this board.

Who are you and what have you done with Sprucey?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:58 - Jul 31 with 1021 viewsSpruceMoose

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:55 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

Who are you and what have you done with Sprucey?

Just giving the crybabies a break from their whining for a while.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:04 - Jul 31 with 1013 viewsBlueBadger

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 17:09 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

We won't be able to do a deal with the US if we have a physical border of some sort on the island of Ireland, which we will have to do if we don't remain in a customs union. Most other nations will also be reluctant to do deals with us if they don't know what terms we will be on with the EU, our nearest and largest trading partner.

And they won't be keen to do deals with us, if we've reneged on our settlement payments.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:11 - Jul 31 with 994 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:38 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

It'd be pretty hard for Westminster to extol the virtues of preserving a political and economic union that has created peace and prosperity, whilst simultaneously leaving another union that has done exactly the same.

It would be a rather perverse outcome to leave the one that allows its states to retain sovereignty!

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:16 - Jul 31 with 977 viewskinnockers

Lost my job because of Brexit. There are real victims in this mate not just statistics you can play political football with. Grow up.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Login to get fewer ads

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:17 - Jul 31 with 967 viewsSpruceMoose

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:16 - Jul 31 by kinnockers

Lost my job because of Brexit. There are real victims in this mate not just statistics you can play political football with. Grow up.

Have Tesco done away with their deli counters already!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:50 - Jul 31 with 930 viewsgazzer1999

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:58 - Jul 31 by SpruceMoose

Just giving the crybabies a break from their whining for a while.

31/10/19
Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:51 - Jul 31 with 927 viewsSpruceMoose

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:50 - Jul 31 by gazzer1999

31/10/19

Still waiting for a Leaver to take me up on my charity bet that the UK will be out of the EU on 1st November 2019. All I hear is tumbleweeds!

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:56 - Jul 31 with 919 viewsgazzer1999

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:51 - Jul 31 by SpruceMoose

Still waiting for a Leaver to take me up on my charity bet that the UK will be out of the EU on 1st November 2019. All I hear is tumbleweeds!

I think you've bullied them into submission. They're all remainers now.
Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:57 - Jul 31 with 911 viewsSpruceMoose

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 19:56 - Jul 31 by gazzer1999

I think you've bullied them into submission. They're all remainers now.

They will be, on November 1st!

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:00 - Jul 31 with 881 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Me too, last year company pulled back their growth plans.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:46 - Jul 31 with 838 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:00 - Jul 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Me too, last year company pulled back their growth plans.

That is the reality and probably around 48% of those affected (possibly more) will have voted remain too. Sorry to hear for both you and Kinnockers. Hope you are soon in good employment again (if not already).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:55 - Jul 31 with 824 viewsBlueBadger

I can't wait. Come November 1st all the people who voted to live without experts will stop turning up to the GP and A& E and bleeping meaning my workload drops by 52%

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:01 - Jul 31 with 816 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:55 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

I can't wait. Come November 1st all the people who voted to live without experts will stop turning up to the GP and A& E and bleeping meaning my workload drops by 52%

Except they didn't did they?

They chose to ignore the advice of experts so they will still turn up, ask you what is wrong and when they don't like the answer ask a colleague and keep going. Then when they get worse because they have ignored all that you told them they will turn up again still expecting you to make them better.

Your workload is going up by at least 52% and every one of them awkward, disgruntled customers. They will also be expecting £350M per week's worth of extra funding so you had better not show you are rushed off your feet and understaffed either.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:21 - Jul 31 with 796 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 21:46 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is the reality and probably around 48% of those affected (possibly more) will have voted remain too. Sorry to hear for both you and Kinnockers. Hope you are soon in good employment again (if not already).

I’m glad I manage a team administering EU funded research projects. Looks like I made a cracking long term career decision 😂

(They’re *only* about 40% of our portfolio, but still, something (jobs) will have to give when that dries up).
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 22:22]

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:24 - Jul 31 with 791 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:01 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Except they didn't did they?

They chose to ignore the advice of experts so they will still turn up, ask you what is wrong and when they don't like the answer ask a colleague and keep going. Then when they get worse because they have ignored all that you told them they will turn up again still expecting you to make them better.

Your workload is going up by at least 52% and every one of them awkward, disgruntled customers. They will also be expecting £350M per week's worth of extra funding so you had better not show you are rushed off your feet and understaffed either.

I’m going to start blaming Badger for my impending lung cancer even though I’ve decided to smoke 200 a day.

Yours,
Boris

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:46 - Jul 31 with 774 viewsHerbivore

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:21 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

I’m glad I manage a team administering EU funded research projects. Looks like I made a cracking long term career decision 😂

(They’re *only* about 40% of our portfolio, but still, something (jobs) will have to give when that dries up).
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 22:22]

You'll be fine, Boris has said he'll cover everything currently funded by the EU. I trust Boris, he's a man of his word.

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 22:58 - Jul 31 with 764 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Jobs lost because of Brexit on 18:32 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

Wrong, there is no mention of the EU in the Belfast Agreement, or the St Andrews agreement which supersedes it.

Northern Ireland would vote to remain in the UK when we leave the EU. A referendum on this is unlikely to be held as it would stir up bad feelings which are better left to a bygone era.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024