Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? 07:03 - Aug 1 with 11545 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:37 - Aug 1 with 1462 viewsWD19

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:28 - Aug 1 by chicoazul

It's so weird how even the Manager, an experienced man who has worked at the highest levels, says things like this and other stuff about the Trust etc, and yet people on here are still prepared to make excuses for Evans' ongoing lack of investment & care and in fact his uncanny ability to make everything worse & more difficult for his customers, for e.g. the thing about the turnstiles yesterday.

There are also plenty on here grumbling about the lack of an experienced centre half. People can’t have it both ways - there is only so much money to go around.

The article suggests that for a while as a club it was only the first team that mattered, to the detriment of the fabric of the club. If we are rebalancing that then fine, it’s necessary for long term sustainability, but it may mean the first team is compromised.

I agree with others, there is a little bit too much arse covering. Didn’t like the bit about proverbial strong forearms being more important than tactical nous either.

But a win on Saturday and all will be right with the world...
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:38 - Aug 1 with 1456 viewschicoazul

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:35 - Aug 1 by Radlett_blue

I think Evans has been reluctant to spend money on infrastructure as I think he's had an eye on selling Town for a few years. Relegation has drastically reduced the chance of Evans getting an acceptable offer so the risk is he now decides to run Town on a shoestring even in the 3rd division & hopes Lambert will eventually get us up.

See what I mean?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:40 - Aug 1 with 1456 viewsdavblue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:22 - Aug 1 by hampstead_blue

A mixture of covering his own back and telling us what is assumed and known.
Asking us for time based on his budget again is obvious.

He is not far from MM in terms of telling ME how it is and what to expect with the investment levels.

I do hope he can make it work and am happy to be more patient.

He is right though, anyone thinking all our problems will be resolved in one or two transfer windows are being naive.

This is a big job, i think if he gets us promoted this year he will have done a hell of a job. I know people will come back at me with the wage budget argument, but there's still a hell of a lot of gaps in the squad.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:40 - Aug 1 with 1453 viewsSuffolktractor

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:28 - Aug 1 by chicoazul

It's so weird how even the Manager, an experienced man who has worked at the highest levels, says things like this and other stuff about the Trust etc, and yet people on here are still prepared to make excuses for Evans' ongoing lack of investment & care and in fact his uncanny ability to make everything worse & more difficult for his customers, for e.g. the thing about the turnstiles yesterday.

Stopping cash turnstiles must be the most baffling decision of all from a man who has made his fortune on selling tickets!
Why would you make it more difficult for people to turn up and spend their money, when we need all the support we can get?
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:42 - Aug 1 with 1444 viewschicoazul

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:37 - Aug 1 by WD19

There are also plenty on here grumbling about the lack of an experienced centre half. People can’t have it both ways - there is only so much money to go around.

The article suggests that for a while as a club it was only the first team that mattered, to the detriment of the fabric of the club. If we are rebalancing that then fine, it’s necessary for long term sustainability, but it may mean the first team is compromised.

I agree with others, there is a little bit too much arse covering. Didn’t like the bit about proverbial strong forearms being more important than tactical nous either.

But a win on Saturday and all will be right with the world...

We can't have painted gates contactless payment and a good new player? You're right, what insane OTT expectations some of us have. How silly!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:43 - Aug 1 with 1433 viewsEwan_Oozami

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:31 - Aug 1 by chicoazul

Bbbbbut the bbbbbbudget! A 9m black hole!!!111!!!1! We cant expect Evans to cccccccare!

I think this has been mentioned before but I suspect the problem with Evans is that he's in an industry (entertainment, corporate events, etc, etc) that does not have much actual infrastructure to manage, it's all hired in, rented, leased on a temporary basis, etc.. So he's not used to having to maintain a large piece of real estate that needs constant input just to stand still. He doesn't (or didn't) get that the TLC provided to a day to day working environment for anyone, let alone football players, influences their attitude enormously. And as people are saying, it's not actually that expensive to at least keep things clean, improve the look and feel of PR, or the training ground - is there even a Facilities Manager at ITFC?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:44 - Aug 1 with 1435 viewsitfcjoe

I think it is good, and goes along with what a lot of fans have been saying for some time. Evans doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, he makes them and then has to have it spelled oiut to him why it is a mistake, and then after that happening a few times he seems to reluctantly go back on it.

Lambert has to have us competing for promotion this year, the squad is good enough and whilst what a lot of what he says makes sense, if he can't get this side winning in this division then he's not up to the job quite simply.

I, like all fans, hope he does, because he clearly 'gets it' off the pitch, but he has to get it right on the pitch.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:46 - Aug 1 with 1413 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:35 - Aug 1 by Radlett_blue

I think Evans has been reluctant to spend money on infrastructure as I think he's had an eye on selling Town for a few years. Relegation has drastically reduced the chance of Evans getting an acceptable offer so the risk is he now decides to run Town on a shoestring even in the 3rd division & hopes Lambert will eventually get us up.

I don't know how much more evidence people need. The fact is that Evans has put barrow loads of money into the club and it has had zero impact on our chances of getting promoted.

As a result, we are now one of the few clubs in the Championship / League One which is trying to operate sustainably.

The level of losses outlined in @KieranMagquire's Tweet below are unsustainable. The game is going to implode eventually, whether next season, in five seasons time or 10 seasons. We need to make sure we are one of the clubs still standing, not put ourselves at risk as so many other clubs are and will.

We can bitch all we like that Evans needs to cover increasing annual losses, as much as we like. It won't change these facts, I'm afraid.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:49 - Aug 1 with 1392 viewsWD19

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:46 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

I don't know how much more evidence people need. The fact is that Evans has put barrow loads of money into the club and it has had zero impact on our chances of getting promoted.

As a result, we are now one of the few clubs in the Championship / League One which is trying to operate sustainably.

The level of losses outlined in @KieranMagquire's Tweet below are unsustainable. The game is going to implode eventually, whether next season, in five seasons time or 10 seasons. We need to make sure we are one of the clubs still standing, not put ourselves at risk as so many other clubs are and will.

We can bitch all we like that Evans needs to cover increasing annual losses, as much as we like. It won't change these facts, I'm afraid.

Lovely to see that Shrewsbury and Accrington managed to make a profit somehow.....
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:52 - Aug 1 with 1381 viewsElderGrizzly

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:46 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

This from this morning too. Wages out of control

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:52 - Aug 1 with 1380 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:49 - Aug 1 by WD19

Lovely to see that Shrewsbury and Accrington managed to make a profit somehow.....

I suspect it'll be a number of factors - very low cost base, much smaller ground/real estate, spending money only when they have it and lower expectations of their fans.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:55 - Aug 1 with 1365 viewschicoazul

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:49 - Aug 1 by WD19

Hahahaha!

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:56 - Aug 1 with 1362 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:52 - Aug 1 by ElderGrizzly

This from this morning too. Wages out of control

Talking to someone involved at AFC Wimbledon the other day. they wage bill will be £3-4m - ours will be £9m (??), or more?

One thing which seems clear from this summer is that Evans (and maybe Lambert) are trying to rein in our salary budget, to give us the chance to invest when we need to (eg, if we get promoted). Essentially following the Sheff Utd, Huddersfield model.

Rather than spending loads of money, following the same strategy as so many clubs in the Championship but failing to outspend them (as we inevitably would), Evans (and maybe Lambert) is clearly trying a different way. Personally, I'm not sure we have much choice.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:56 - Aug 1 with 1358 viewsN2_Blue

Is it just me that reads this interview and feels reassured. I think it’s great to read an open and heartfelt interview such as this.

Lambert gets this club, where the owner and many of those behind the scenes don’t. Had we replaced Hurst with someone that didn’t care about our history and current decline we could be facing a very bleak future.
Whilst results on the pitch haven’t been great it’s clear Lambert has had an effect on Evans that was badly needed. He is around more and training ground has been spruced up and it seems some things will be done at the ground before season starts at home. I believe that things will turnaround on the pitch at this level but Lambert we were a club dying on its feet in his first months in charge and that without changes in attitude at the club this would continue.

I don’t think this is about self preservation for Lambert at all. I think the guy is completely genuine to the point at which he was first concerned about taking the job because of his former Norwich connection.
If and it’s a huge if, this season can be successful (ensuring the minimum of a play off final) then I think things may have finally taken a positive turn and Lambert will be very much the perfect fit for our club.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:58 - Aug 1 with 1348 viewshomer_123

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:44 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

I think it is good, and goes along with what a lot of fans have been saying for some time. Evans doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, he makes them and then has to have it spelled oiut to him why it is a mistake, and then after that happening a few times he seems to reluctantly go back on it.

Lambert has to have us competing for promotion this year, the squad is good enough and whilst what a lot of what he says makes sense, if he can't get this side winning in this division then he's not up to the job quite simply.

I, like all fans, hope he does, because he clearly 'gets it' off the pitch, but he has to get it right on the pitch.

His record last season, on the pitch, would normally mean he'd be out of a job with us already.

We need to hit the ground running.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:00 - Aug 1 with 1326 viewsPJH

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:52 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

I suspect it'll be a number of factors - very low cost base, much smaller ground/real estate, spending money only when they have it and lower expectations of their fans.

Plus ITFC subsidising both of them.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:03 - Aug 1 with 1318 viewsPJH

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:58 - Aug 1 by homer_123

His record last season, on the pitch, would normally mean he'd be out of a job with us already.

We need to hit the ground running.

I hope that it does not come to that but IF we do not have a very good start it would be interesting to see how long the 'no normal' atmosphere lasts-hopefully we will never get to find out.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:07 - Aug 1 with 1292 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:31 - Aug 1 by chicoazul

Bbbbbut the bbbbbbudget! A 9m black hole!!!111!!!1! We cant expect Evans to cccccccare!

Have you got a paint brush or a you waiting for a Marxist directive?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:10 - Aug 1 with 1280 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:56 - Aug 1 by N2_Blue

Is it just me that reads this interview and feels reassured. I think it’s great to read an open and heartfelt interview such as this.

Lambert gets this club, where the owner and many of those behind the scenes don’t. Had we replaced Hurst with someone that didn’t care about our history and current decline we could be facing a very bleak future.
Whilst results on the pitch haven’t been great it’s clear Lambert has had an effect on Evans that was badly needed. He is around more and training ground has been spruced up and it seems some things will be done at the ground before season starts at home. I believe that things will turnaround on the pitch at this level but Lambert we were a club dying on its feet in his first months in charge and that without changes in attitude at the club this would continue.

I don’t think this is about self preservation for Lambert at all. I think the guy is completely genuine to the point at which he was first concerned about taking the job because of his former Norwich connection.
If and it’s a huge if, this season can be successful (ensuring the minimum of a play off final) then I think things may have finally taken a positive turn and Lambert will be very much the perfect fit for our club.

Indeed, this. He is clearly looking for a project, a 2/3 year job to get his teeth into. And that's what we need. Hopefully, we can both benefit.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:13 - Aug 1 with 1261 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 07:34 - Aug 1 by tractorboy1978

Lambert hits every nail on the head - what has Evans actually done since having this conversation though?

And none of what Lambert said should be any surprise as it's nothing different to what fans have been saying for years.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 7:35]

‘Nothing different to what fans have been saying...’

Funny that

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:17 - Aug 1 with 1251 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:01 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

Ironic, then, that this interview struck me as mainly being about self preservation.

Well quite, he’s a manager who’s won 7 of his last 51 matches across 3 different clubs, if he leaves here having failed then Scotland awaits

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:19 - Aug 1 with 1242 viewsRadlett_blue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:38 - Aug 1 by chicoazul

See what I mean?

With respect, what do you mean?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:20 - Aug 1 with 1237 viewshaynes_toe1

Hey look, hes not wrong about Evan's and the run down ground and infrastructure.

But lets not pretend hes saying it for the benefit of the club. Hes saying it to reduce expectations and hopefully direct fan blame in one direction only - that way hed stand a small chance of managing again if it all went wrong here.

Hed be great in a job at the club as a fan liaison officer but so far most fan liaison offers would be able to equal his managerial performance.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:21 - Aug 1 with 1237 viewsRegencyBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 07:39 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

There's an awful lot of covering his own back there for me. I'm not being funny, but when we get a few back fit it's not a team full of kids anyway and never really has been. I expect Downes to play a lot, Kenlock too, but that's about it. The others will be much more in and out of the side. We have experience through the spine of the side with the likes of Holy, Chambers, Skuse, Judge, Norwood, then you've got other experienced pros like Nsiala, Nolan, Huws, Jackson and the like who have all played plenty of football. I expect most sides at this level will field a couple of 20/21 year olds like we will, most sides at this level haven't spent money and couldn't have dreamed of signing someone like Norwood. We shouldn't accept anything less than a proper promotion push this season, anything less is a failure.

Of course he's covering his own back. With a boss like Evans so would I!

Its pretty clear its not just the fans who have noticed how things have declined under the Evans regime and thankfully we finally have a manager who has come out and said it openly!

No doubt the Evans apologists will blame everything on Lambert if the season goes wrong but there has been one common denominator in this sorry mess the club has become and the buck should stop with him!
"Nothing is my fault"..... on 09:22 - Aug 1 with 1231 viewsBloots

..."apart from anything positive that may happen, that's definitely down to me"

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024