Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. 22:22 - Aug 3 with 3963 viewsIllinoisblue

How many Town fans were there that day? Terraces look a little sparse.

Calamitous defending starts 37 seconds in:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:30 - Aug 3 with 3309 viewsScuzzer

I was there with my mum and dad and also my girlfriend...now my wife. It was basically our reserve side...didn't stand a chance.

Established 1968

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:40 - Aug 3 with 3283 viewsCoastalblue

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:30 - Aug 3 by Scuzzer

I was there with my mum and dad and also my girlfriend...now my wife. It was basically our reserve side...didn't stand a chance.

I recall almost non stop renditions of Bobby Robson's blue and white army in the second half.
Did Shilton pull off a couple of stunned? I was very young then.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:40 - Aug 3 with 3279 viewsSibelius8

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:30 - Aug 3 by Scuzzer

I was there and it was one of the worst performances by "The Towen" I can remember. It felt such a waste of time and money going all the way to Wembley, especially after our famous FA Cup triumph the previous May.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:41 - Aug 3 with 3275 viewsPJH

Osman, Parkin,Gates and Whymark started instead of Hunter, Beattie,Geddis and Osborne from the Cup winning side with Warky central defence in the Charity Shield.
Whymark would have played in the Cup Final if fit so although it was certainly a weaker side than the one that won the cup it was not all that weak.
We had finished 18th in 1977/78 so it was mostly a case of Forest actually being a lot better than us at that time.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:49 - Aug 3 with 3249 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

I was there, seem to recall a lot of lads leaving early for a dust up on the cobbles with the Forest fans.

Pretty awful performance (from the team not the lads).
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:15 - Aug 3 with 3183 viewsoldbluey

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:49 - Aug 3 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I was there, seem to recall a lot of lads leaving early for a dust up on the cobbles with the Forest fans.

My late wife and I were there. Crap game and some of the windows on our coach were smashed by Forest fans.

Poll: Chopra - do you want him to stay or want him to go?

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:35 - Aug 3 with 3147 viewsbilllm

I was, but after the FA cup final major let down, we left just after half time
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:46 - Aug 3 with 3130 viewsActionMan

We always lost in the Charity shield because Robson never really took it seriously. Looking back it'd have been nice to have some additional silverware.
Login to get fewer ads

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:53 - Aug 3 with 3102 viewsfactual_blue

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:46 - Aug 3 by ActionMan

We always lost in the Charity shield because Robson never really took it seriously. Looking back it'd have been nice to have some additional silverware.

'Always'?

We were in it once.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 00:05 - Aug 4 with 3081 viewsMisterBlue

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:53 - Aug 3 by factual_blue

'Always'?

We were in it once.

Twice.

* Sir Alf didn't take it seriously either - 1-5 Spurs 1962
[Post edited 4 Aug 2019 0:09]
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 02:05 - Aug 4 with 3005 viewsfloridablue

Remember that day very well and I just didn't make it to Wembley in time for the game. Reason.... just after being at Wembley for the FA cup final a large group of youngish guys from the Ipswich area as well as elsewhere were recruited to work in construction jobs out in Germany.. (anyone remember the Auf Weildeshein TV series a couple of years later?) I went out there and my partner of the time gave birth to my first child a couple of weeks before the Shield Wembley game. My first "leave/break' fell on the same weekend as the game. I'm on the ferry arriving into Harwich Essex port early that saturday morning and it goes through my mind should I catch the train to London or Ipswich and if Ipswich I still might have time to train back to London for the game. I chose to go first to Ipswich and see my partner and child who was now 2 weeks old and remember her whispering or shouting words to the effect of...'Don't even think about it!!'......so I missed Town at Wembley that day!
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 03:55 - Aug 4 with 2972 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 02:05 - Aug 4 by floridablue

Remember that day very well and I just didn't make it to Wembley in time for the game. Reason.... just after being at Wembley for the FA cup final a large group of youngish guys from the Ipswich area as well as elsewhere were recruited to work in construction jobs out in Germany.. (anyone remember the Auf Weildeshein TV series a couple of years later?) I went out there and my partner of the time gave birth to my first child a couple of weeks before the Shield Wembley game. My first "leave/break' fell on the same weekend as the game. I'm on the ferry arriving into Harwich Essex port early that saturday morning and it goes through my mind should I catch the train to London or Ipswich and if Ipswich I still might have time to train back to London for the game. I chose to go first to Ipswich and see my partner and child who was now 2 weeks old and remember her whispering or shouting words to the effect of...'Don't even think about it!!'......so I missed Town at Wembley that day!

They finished first in the top league that year while we escaped a near relegation despite the FA Cup victory. Point being the score may seem a little excessive but the opposition team were one of great caliber and integrity at the time of event. Went on to win two European Cup victories in succession thereafter, they must have been something special back then.

Like us they disappeared off the scene in the early 1980's after a short lived success, never again able to recapture past glories. The FA Cup win in '81 (for us) at the stage of the latter rounds was memorable, took it to a replay at home, and they still possessed a number of exceptional players. Clough should have been English team coach at some time of his career, why they didn't appoint him was a mystery / something of an error.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 06:38 - Aug 4 with 2928 viewsMJR101

I was there. Town allocation was packed. Remember we were singing as Forest scored but just carried on.
Horrible goals, glad I had forgotten them.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 07:11 - Aug 4 with 2900 viewsChurchman

I went with my dad. We were played off the pitch and it all felt ‘after the Lord Mayors show’. We had a lot of players missing and had lost at home to Forest not long before the Cup Final (an evening game if memory serves me right) so we knew we were in trouble. They were a good side.

We took the view that it doesn’t matter, let’s just enjoy it before the game. But it never works out like that and it was a miserable affair, not helped by being laughed at by a load of Forest fans in the car park afterwards. The crowd was 68000 according to the website.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 07:24 - Aug 4 with 2893 viewsChurchman

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 03:55 - Aug 4 by Minneapolis_ITFC

They finished first in the top league that year while we escaped a near relegation despite the FA Cup victory. Point being the score may seem a little excessive but the opposition team were one of great caliber and integrity at the time of event. Went on to win two European Cup victories in succession thereafter, they must have been something special back then.

Like us they disappeared off the scene in the early 1980's after a short lived success, never again able to recapture past glories. The FA Cup win in '81 (for us) at the stage of the latter rounds was memorable, took it to a replay at home, and they still possessed a number of exceptional players. Clough should have been English team coach at some time of his career, why they didn't appoint him was a mystery / something of an error.

They were exceptional. A real team with a couple of animals at the back to give it steel. They had a fat little winger called John Robertson who was unplayable at times, decent forwards and a good mix of youth and experience.

By 1981 the team was ageing. I didnt go to the away 3-3 FA Cup away game but did see the replay - Robson asked for a days delay but Clough sensibly said no. We were still too strong for them and won 1-0 that night. What a team we had.

Clough was in his heyday. Possibly the best ever. Should have been England manager.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 07:46 - Aug 4 with 2858 viewsBloomBlue

Forest were exceptional that day mainly because Clough made them take it seriously as he did every game. I think Robson saw it more as a pre season friendly.

Which was annoying as I had gone there expecting another FA Cup final type day out
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 08:15 - Aug 4 with 2807 viewsallezlesbleus

I was there as a kid and remember our coach getting overtaken by a Forest minibus, before the match, with a big banner saying "Forest 5, Ipswich 0". Wish I had put a couple of quid on that now.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 08:32 - Aug 4 with 2781 viewsPJH

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 23:53 - Aug 3 by factual_blue

'Always'?

We were in it once.

A factual error from factual, you do not see many of those.

The 5-1 home defeat to Spurs in August 1962 was partly because Bill Nicholson (Spurs manager for the young) had worked out how to combat Alf Ramsey's use of playing Stephenson and Leadbetter deep by marking them with his wing half's rather than fullbacks and partly because we played a large chunk of the game with 10 men in the pre substitute days due to Larry Carberry getting injured.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 11:43 - Aug 4 with 2675 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 22:49 - Aug 3 by blueblueburleymcgrew

I was also there and it was an awful performance. Being the 70's there were tear ups before and after the game. The mini bus behind us was attacked by Forest fans and had it's windows put in. Strange that 2 years before, the Forest fans were in with Ipswich fans supporting us at the old Baseball Ground and they were trying to get at the Derby fans.
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 13:22 - Aug 4 with 2623 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

That was a game i had nearly erased from memory.
Painted my Doc Martins blue & White for the occasion, remember an almighty piss up in Newmarket when the coach stopped there on the way back.
Good day out despite the result.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 14:13 - Aug 4 with 2581 viewsjjblue84

No shame in losing to the only team that won more European Cups than league titles!
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 14:25 - Aug 4 with 2575 viewsbackwaywhen

It was the time Sir Bobby started to rebuild his squad after that debacle , in came the Dutch boys and the rest as they say is history ......
Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 21:21 - Aug 4 with 2465 viewsRadlett_blue

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 11:43 - Aug 4 by BrentwoodBlagger2

I was also there and it was an awful performance. Being the 70's there were tear ups before and after the game. The mini bus behind us was attacked by Forest fans and had it's windows put in. Strange that 2 years before, the Forest fans were in with Ipswich fans supporting us at the old Baseball Ground and they were trying to get at the Derby fans.

I was at Filbert Street for Leicester v Ipswich in 1977 and there were a fair few Forest fans in the Town end because they hated Leicester, leading to chants of "Forest & Ipswich" etc. All went a bit flat when Steve Earle scored a late goal & Leicester beat us 1-0.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 21:35 - Aug 4 with 2442 viewsGeoffSentence

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 07:24 - Aug 4 by Churchman

They were exceptional. A real team with a couple of animals at the back to give it steel. They had a fat little winger called John Robertson who was unplayable at times, decent forwards and a good mix of youth and experience.

By 1981 the team was ageing. I didnt go to the away 3-3 FA Cup away game but did see the replay - Robson asked for a days delay but Clough sensibly said no. We were still too strong for them and won 1-0 that night. What a team we had.

Clough was in his heyday. Possibly the best ever. Should have been England manager.

Didn't John Robertson get sent home from the 1978 World Cup after failing a drugs test.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 21:52 - Aug 4 with 2414 viewsPJH

Goals here from our 5-0 defeat to Forest in the Community Shield. on 21:35 - Aug 4 by GeoffSentence

Didn't John Robertson get sent home from the 1978 World Cup after failing a drugs test.

No, that was Willie Johnston.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024