Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) 10:45 - Aug 4 with 1938 viewsWarkystache

"Yoo int signed ennyfing fer moolah'n'yer relyin' on rubbish" said Terry on Tuesday, marking the betting slip as a Burton win, feeling the money in his grubby mitts already. Yes, welcome back to the world of weekly football bets, disinterested newsagents, unused season tickets and kids off school and on little excursions hanging round said newsagents in voluble little gangs, sharing the odd Bensons and trying to do tricks on scuffed-looking skateboards.

It's not social breakdown that's the problem round here, it's boredom in kids who should really know better. When I was their age, the summer holidays were an oasis, a paean of 'messing about' on the beach or in rivers, bike rides that took all day, washing neighbours' cars for fifty pee so we had a bit of lolly for lollies or cans of warm pop or Wham bars. We didn't waste it hanging round shops, annoying everyone and pretending to smoke. That was the winter sport. They're doing it all wrong.

And Tel encourages them. Safe in the knowledge that the shop is being sold (subject to contracts and stuff) he's given up. He even goes out and chats with them. He's on his own again. Carol,his 'assistant' gave up two weeks ago, a mix of family holiday in Cornwall and her earnings affecting her ESA payments, because she couldn't lie to them like everyone else does. So he welcomes any distractions from sorting out the Daily Stars and cleaning.

We've restarted the bets at his insistence. We had five hundred quid each out of last season's debacle for the Town, mainly by him betting we'd lose each week. He's been half-hearted about the gee-gee's, mainly because he doesn't actually know what he's doing with them. Not that he'd admit it. He's not been helped by the loss of 'Templegate' and Claude Duval, namely Bob and Dave, his chief tipsters, who now frequent Tesco's for their news and their pints of Cravendale. "Fought ah'd shut already" said Tel, with a trace of aspersion. Tesco should be paying him a finders fee. Most of his regulars have been going there for a few months now.

The shop's official closing date keeps moving. At the moment, it's bank holiday Monday. It was next Sunday for a while, but then his buyer came up with another query about who owns the garage attached to the rear, which the surveyors then wrote to his solicitor about, and this meant another delay. Truth be told, he wants out now. It's like the metaphorical albatross. He shuts at 2pm, once all the papers have (largely) gone and he's cashed up. Then he goes for a "quick 'arf". He's applied to B&Q for a part-time job, just to keep himself from going mad more than for any financial benefit. He doesn't need money. He stands to swell his bank account by £180k once all the fees are paid. He's thinking of buying a boat.....

We went for a Thai on Friday. He was recommended this place in old Harwich. I'd been before but didn't say anything. Old Harwich is positively blessed with boozers so we had a bit of a pub crawl before the meal, finishing in The Alma, where they didn't have any rose wine so he had to settle for Magners. The meal was fantastic. The pad thai, the soups, the satay, the green curries, they were all really good. Thai on the Green it was called. It's a trek from Ipswich, but if you're ever in this neck of the woods.......

We laughed and ate and drank and it was like the old days; taking the mick about my season ticket renewal, hoping we'd do Burton rather than go for one. Tel reminisced about the early days in the shop, the mid eighties, punters coming in dressed in rolled up suit sleeves and jeans, the days when someone was censured if their account ran over a fiver. He wants to come back to PR. I offered for next Saturday, but he and Mrs Tel are out at a friend's barbecue in Stones Green. I got the fixture list on my phone and he debated over home games against Rochdale or Gillingham. Then he saw Southend away in October. So we're going to that. "Saaarfend" he muttered. "Fer a game'o'footie and a night on the lash". I think we might book a Premier Inn.

Saturday was bright, and the birds pecked stoically at the feeders and eyed me with longing, until I realised they were empty and went out to remedy the shortfall. Tel was in a good mood and the bacon baps were back. He'd had second thoughts and had a tenner on Ipswich to win. "Din't feel rite" he said, although whether he meant the Town or himself wasn't clear. I'd fancied a trip to Burton. Then I didn't. So I was having a walk instead, all round Shotley, stopping in the Treasure Chest for a pint and admiring the sea views.

My car radio can't get Suffolk for some reason. So I went home and watched on Sky, nervous, hoping we'd win our opener just more for the fact that folk on here would be less depressed. We did. I cheered as the result was confirmed, waiting for Stelling to say "Late Drama at the Pirelli, could ten-man Burton have rescued a point?" But, much like the papers this morning, no-one really gives a stuff about League One. We rate two lines in the Mail, even with the absence of the Premier glory boys. That'll take some getting used to. So will the teams we face.

Still, it's a fair start.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Wham bars! (n/t) on 10:48 - Aug 4 with 1890 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wham bars! (n/t) on 11:00 - Aug 4 with 1836 viewsWarkystache

Wham bars! (n/t) on 10:48 - Aug 4 by Dyland

Or Highland Toffee, although we didn't really like them.

You got more for your money when I were a nipper. Wham bar, a few mojos, a bag of Bitsa Pizza crisps and a can of warm 7-up and you still had change out of 50p for a single B&H. Some nice old gentleman might even light it for you.....

Wham bars! (n/t) on 11:06 - Aug 4 with 1815 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wham bars! (n/t) on 11:00 - Aug 4 by Warkystache

Or Highland Toffee, although we didn't really like them.

You got more for your money when I were a nipper. Wham bar, a few mojos, a bag of Bitsa Pizza crisps and a can of warm 7-up and you still had change out of 50p for a single B&H. Some nice old gentleman might even light it for you.....

4 Black Jacks for a penny wasn't it?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 11:07 - Aug 4 with 1817 viewsJimmyJazz

Little fanfare in the papers and from Sky, all matches (apart from Bury) played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. Playing in a league where money isn't the be-all and end-all (again Bury / Bolton etc). Sounds like proper football to me.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 11:23 - Aug 4 with 1779 viewsEdwardStone

The end of para 2 is pure genius....masterful

Many thanks for another wonderful Match Report
The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 12:40 - Aug 4 with 1676 viewsKropotkin123

That first line

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 13:11 - Aug 4 with 1633 viewsFtnfwest

I lost the thread months ago with Tel and moving to Spain. Presume all that fell through?
Wham bars! (n/t) on 16:32 - Aug 4 with 1534 viewsCoastalblue

Wham bars! (n/t) on 11:06 - Aug 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

4 Black Jacks for a penny wasn't it?

Yeah, four of them or four fuit salad when I was a kid. Always felt amazing value and you couln't beat a black tongue to stick out.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 18:27 - Aug 4 with 1456 viewsWarkystache

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 13:11 - Aug 4 by Ftnfwest

I lost the thread months ago with Tel and moving to Spain. Presume all that fell through?

Yes - he couldn't find a shop over there where he wanted. And Mrs T talked him out of it.

Wham bars! (n/t) on 21:08 - Aug 4 with 1288 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wham bars! (n/t) on 16:32 - Aug 4 by Coastalblue

Yeah, four of them or four fuit salad when I was a kid. Always felt amazing value and you couln't beat a black tongue to stick out.

If you took a couple of Corona bottles back you could get a bag full.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Warky League 1 Report: Burton (a) on 06:52 - Aug 5 with 1152 viewsDubai_Blue

Welcome back. Always a pleasure to read these on a Sunday morning wherever I happen to be working at the time (currently Kazakhstan)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024