Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? 23:53 - Aug 4 with 2292 viewsCoastalblue

My thoughts seeing his comments are that he says an area of the team that's currently sub par and we need to upgrade.

I think it could be argued, and I'm sure Evans would, that though we don't have huge numbers everywhere once the injuries start clearing up as a squad we are probably not far off in numbers.

If we bring in a forward for example I think it's more likely to be a squad filler than starter.

What does Lambert think we need that would be a starter? Full back would be my guess and where I think he'd like to spend? Could be a forward I guess but I think he'll be content to muddle through until Sears, Lankester et al return.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 00:21 - Aug 5 with 2239 viewsJ2BLUE

Sears won't have played for a long time by the time he comes back. With our track record of getting returning players fit and ready to play I don't expect to see him before Christmas. What other professional team would go into a huge season like this with two fit strikers? It's just so stupid. One injury to Norwood or Jackson and we're screwed. We NEED a striker.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 06:20 - Aug 5 with 2117 viewsLesta_Tractor

Definitely need to improve at full back and another striker may be useful.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:05 - Aug 5 with 2038 viewsHipsterectomy

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 00:21 - Aug 5 by J2BLUE

Sears won't have played for a long time by the time he comes back. With our track record of getting returning players fit and ready to play I don't expect to see him before Christmas. What other professional team would go into a huge season like this with two fit strikers? It's just so stupid. One injury to Norwood or Jackson and we're screwed. We NEED a striker.

Folami, Morris and Drinan were getting sniffs around the first team years ago with MM in charge. To be fair, if they haven't pushed on since, in a league of a lower standard, there is no point having an academy.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:22 - Aug 5 with 1974 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:05 - Aug 5 by Hipsterectomy

Folami, Morris and Drinan were getting sniffs around the first team years ago with MM in charge. To be fair, if they haven't pushed on since, in a league of a lower standard, there is no point having an academy.

Drinan isn't an academy product, and the other two are long term injuries.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 7:25]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:23 - Aug 5 with 1968 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 00:21 - Aug 5 by J2BLUE

Lankester will be back fairly soon.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:37 - Aug 5 with 1931 viewsCoastalblue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:23 - Aug 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lankester will be back fairly soon.

Such a shame he got injured, he was a huge shining light in a season of dross last year. I think if he can find form and fitness he could have a huge impact and massive year.

He could turn out to be the big money sale we've watched others making over the last few weeks, I can see him commanding a very large fee in a year or two if he continues the way he started.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:40 - Aug 5 with 1913 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:37 - Aug 5 by Coastalblue

Such a shame he got injured, he was a huge shining light in a season of dross last year. I think if he can find form and fitness he could have a huge impact and massive year.

He could turn out to be the big money sale we've watched others making over the last few weeks, I can see him commanding a very large fee in a year or two if he continues the way he started.

Wouldn't disagree, hopefully we'll at least get to see a good season from him.

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:44 - Aug 5 with 1915 viewsSteve_M

Right back, neither Donacien or Emmanuel is good enough on the ball and better sides than Burton will exploit that.

Striker because we only have two fit, plus Roberts who could fill in, and that isn't enough. Whoever comes in there will get plenty of game time I think.

In an ideal world cover for Kenlock at left back too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:45 - Aug 5 with 1907 viewsStokieBlue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:05 - Aug 5 by Hipsterectomy

This is a flawed conclusion.

You've picked out some players who haven't made it yet whilst ignoring all the academy products who are in the matchday squad when fit.

It's cherry picking.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:49 - Aug 5 with 1887 viewswkj

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:44 - Aug 5 by Steve_M

Right back, neither Donacien or Emmanuel is good enough on the ball and better sides than Burton will exploit that.

Striker because we only have two fit, plus Roberts who could fill in, and that isn't enough. Whoever comes in there will get plenty of game time I think.

In an ideal world cover for Kenlock at left back too.

I would go as far to correct this and say In an ideal world Kenlock would be the cover, he is still giving too much away, and I don't see that getting much better any time soon to be honest.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 07:54 - Aug 5 with 1864 viewschicoazul

People really need to forget about Sears. Our track record of rehab is absolutely horrendous so we definitely need at least another forward. I think he needs a versatile defender too, a good Donacien basically.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 08:55 - Aug 5 with 1783 viewsBlueBadger

Judging by his comments Friday, owner.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 08:59 - Aug 5 with 1756 viewsKieran_Knows

Right back, most definitely.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:01 - Aug 5 with 1750 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Saw him at the Suffolk Show just before his debut season and Alan Lee was raving about him. To speak like that right in front of him, I am sure he not only thinks he has the potential but is level-headed enough to make the most of it as well.

I think we could do with a striker as back-up until January. That could still be a window-to-window loan coming in after the Premier League window closes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:03 - Aug 5 with 1743 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Where is he wanting to upgrade?"

Probably on Downes, Norwood and Holy/Norris.

Unfortunately, the tight old Evans won't stretch the budget to Yaya Toure, Ballotelli and co.

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:34 - Aug 5 with 1676 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"I think it could be argued, and I'm sure Evans would, that though we don't have huge numbers everywhere once the injuries start clearing up as a squad we are probably not far off in numbers. "

If Evans actually is arguing that, which I doubt, then thats the first sign of Evans meddling in team selection and Lambert might as well pack his bags, so that Evans can have another 'everything is great' puppet on the touchline.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:39 - Aug 5 with 1659 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:34 - Aug 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

"I think it could be argued, and I'm sure Evans would, that though we don't have huge numbers everywhere once the injuries start clearing up as a squad we are probably not far off in numbers. "

If Evans actually is arguing that, which I doubt, then thats the first sign of Evans meddling in team selection and Lambert might as well pack his bags, so that Evans can have another 'everything is great' puppet on the touchline.

I would imagine Evans is more likely to set an overall wage and transfer fee structure. Possibly also limit fees spent on specific players too.

Is a squad of nearly 40 players with 27 or more having first team experience with us already not enough? How big are most League 1 squads?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:44 - Aug 5 with 1640 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:39 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would imagine Evans is more likely to set an overall wage and transfer fee structure. Possibly also limit fees spent on specific players too.

Is a squad of nearly 40 players with 27 or more having first team experience with us already not enough? How big are most League 1 squads?

Setting the wage budget is not the same as suggesting Evans is arguing that our players are already good enough is it? Which was what my post referred to, in reply to the OP.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this is happening, but, with the second paragraph of your post, you seem perfectly happy for a non football man (Evans) to override our manager as to whether or not we need to sign players?

Odd.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:48 - Aug 5 with 1629 viewsitfcjoe

Definitely:
Right back definitely - wouldn't be surprised to see Emmanuel leave permanently

Striker - somebody else that can play up top on their own as not sure Jackson can

In an ideal world:
Left back as cover/competition for Kenlock

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:51 - Aug 5 with 1611 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:44 - Aug 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Setting the wage budget is not the same as suggesting Evans is arguing that our players are already good enough is it? Which was what my post referred to, in reply to the OP.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this is happening, but, with the second paragraph of your post, you seem perfectly happy for a non football man (Evans) to override our manager as to whether or not we need to sign players?

Odd.

No, I am suggesting the owner sets a budget and it is up to the manager to get players off the books if he wants new ones in.

That is the hangover of one manager signing players that another does not rate (or even one manager signing them and then not rating them himself).

I am of the opinion our squad is good enough provided we stop the ridiculous number of injuries we pick up. We could do with a short term striking option while we get Sears and the younger strikers fit.

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 10:05 - Aug 5 with 1569 viewsGeoffSentence

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:39 - Aug 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Listening to the radio on Saturday, Cloughie was saying that he had a core squad of 15 senior professionals and the rest were youngsters.

He seemed to think that was enough and was looking to improve on quality not quantity.

Although he did acknowledge that Burton wouldn't be able to handle an injury situation like ours.

So, the fact that we have, and seem to have had for years, so many crocks means that we need a bigger squad.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 10:35 - Aug 5 with 1500 viewsBeckets

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:48 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

Definitely:
Right back definitely - wouldn't be surprised to see Emmanuel leave permanently

Striker - somebody else that can play up top on their own as not sure Jackson can

In an ideal world:
Left back as cover/competition for Kenlock

That would be my take too. I think Evans may be saying one in one out now. You can have a right back but either Emmanuel or Donacien need to go. Likewise a striker and probably Roberts.
Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 10:50 - Aug 5 with 1454 viewsCoastalblue

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 09:44 - Aug 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

Odd.

I think you're well aware I don't think that Evans is going to dictate player policy aside from budgets, I don't doubt he keeps a closer eye and probably asks outside advice following last summer though.

Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 10:52 - Aug 5 with 1445 viewsHarlestonblue

Evans' stated policy is to achieve success through developing our academy stars. If we are going to keep selling them, or losing them to the Premier League vultures, like we did Knight, Brown etc. then we aren't going anywhere. We must keep the likes of Lankester.
Where's Lambert wanting to upgrade? on 15:25 - Aug 5 with 1283 viewsFacefacts

I think he wants two full backs and a striker.

All may be revealed in Saturday's match programme, when "Marcus Evans writes..". I'll try to speculate.

The manager being "on the same page" with the owner means speaking regularly with him. Paul Lambert is answering questions that only the owner can answer. For example, on offers received for Andre Dozzell, 'man leaning at the bar' response that would take a "helluva lotta money". PL has no idea what offer would be accepted for Andre Dozzell.

The penny has to drop with some supporters and Paul Lambert that we are now a League One club, which means our players re-sale values have dropped through the floor, regardless of how brilliant they may be.

PL should just deadpan all the questions about possible new players and not get himself upset. Saturday's win will have helped him to calm down.

I'm realizing more and more that we need to get out of this League One at the first attempt. We still have the 'big club' mentality, which will gradually fall away if we are not challenging to go up.

I hope Marcus will explain why the budget for players' salaries has been set for a reason (FFP, and the % of turnover allowed to be spent on players' salaries), and he will explain why he can't or won't invest more. What financial tightrope is he walking? If Dozzell is sold, what will our budget for next season be? When are the sell-on monies for Clarke, Moore, Webster going to be paid and appear in the balance sheet?

We need to go up this season, with or without new players coming in during this window. It will only get more and more difficult, as we fall away (a bit like we did after the early Championship seasons).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024