Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hybrid Car Batteries 10:46 - Aug 7 with 2087 viewsSamuelowen88

Does anyone know if you end up having to replace the battery in a hybrid car?

Like you do for the normal battery?

Poll: England v Wales Score

Hybrid Car Batteries on 12:46 - Aug 7 with 2046 viewsipswich78

Yes, batteries do degrade overtime. But it will more than likely be covered by the warranty for how long it is expected to last. For example the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

Batteries in hybrid / electric cars can be replaced either completely or on a cell by cell basis. Most car batteries are made up of a number of smaller 'battery cells'.

Renault offer a different business model (for an electric car), where in you if you buy the Zoe (for example) you only ever actually lease the battery.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 12:51]

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Hybrid Car Batteries on 13:13 - Aug 7 with 2001 viewsSamuelowen88

Hybrid Car Batteries on 12:46 - Aug 7 by ipswich78

Yes, batteries do degrade overtime. But it will more than likely be covered by the warranty for how long it is expected to last. For example the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

Batteries in hybrid / electric cars can be replaced either completely or on a cell by cell basis. Most car batteries are made up of a number of smaller 'battery cells'.

Renault offer a different business model (for an electric car), where in you if you buy the Zoe (for example) you only ever actually lease the battery.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 12:51]

Cheers, so nothing to really worry too much about. Was vaguely thinking after a few years I may have to shell out a few K for a new battery. (I assume they are pretty £££)

Poll: England v Wales Score

Hybrid Car Batteries on 14:46 - Aug 7 with 1951 viewsTHAILAND_BLUE

I read somewhere that the batteries last about 10 years. If you were thinking of buying a hybrid or electric car I'd wait a few years as battery technology is changing fast.
Hybrid Car Batteries on 14:55 - Aug 7 with 1940 viewsipswich78

Hybrid Car Batteries on 13:13 - Aug 7 by Samuelowen88

Cheers, so nothing to really worry too much about. Was vaguely thinking after a few years I may have to shell out a few K for a new battery. (I assume they are pretty £££)

I'll be honest I don't know about the price for a replacement, however very few car parts are cheap!

Hybrid Car Batteries on 14:56 - Aug 7 with 1938 viewsipswich78

Hybrid Car Batteries on 14:46 - Aug 7 by THAILAND_BLUE

I read somewhere that the batteries last about 10 years. If you were thinking of buying a hybrid or electric car I'd wait a few years as battery technology is changing fast.

But if you have that attitude you'll always be waiting as they will keep improving.

Hybrid Car Batteries on 18:17 - Aug 7 with 1876 viewsMeadowlark

Why wait? Everything's improving technologically isn't it?
Nothing's getting worse except the environment.
If you adopted that attitude across the board, you'd never buy anything.
Hybrid Car Batteries on 19:47 - Aug 7 with 1828 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Hybrid Car Batteries on 14:55 - Aug 7 by ipswich78

I'll be honest I don't know about the price for a replacement, however very few car parts are cheap!

What’s going happen to all these batteries when their time is up.
Hybrid Car Batteries on 19:48 - Aug 7 with 1824 viewsSpruceMoose

Hybrid Car Batteries on 19:47 - Aug 7 by BtreeBlueBlood

Flytipped down a ravine.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Hybrid Car Batteries on 19:56 - Aug 7 with 1816 viewsClapham_Junction

They can be used for less intensive purposes. At work we are in the process of purchasing EVs and envisage using the batteries for building storage after they are no longer suitable for the vehicles.

I suspect it will become a normal thing for people to use an old car battery as storage for their house in the future. A 40kW car battery will still be more than enough for domestic storage even at 30-40% degradation.

Hopefully we'll also have a decent recycling process for the batteries that are completely unwanted - battery producers are already required to fund a recycling scheme.
Hybrid Car Batteries on 20:37 - Aug 7 with 1786 viewsMVBlue

Hybrid Car Batteries on 13:13 - Aug 7 by Samuelowen88

I’m going to lease a hybrid, from 2020. Seems too complicated a machine to purchase outright.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Hybrid Car Batteries on 20:52 - Aug 7 with 1770 viewsBugs

There is about a 5% improvement on battery tech year on year, I wouldn't call that particularly fast, but not too slow either.
Hybrid Car Batteries on 21:32 - Aug 7 with 1739 viewsBloomBlue

It varies a lot as does the ease of actually getting to the batteries in some early example you had to virtually remove the car chassis and part of the under body to get to the batteries. But batteries technology has improved a lot especially smaller batteries but on average it's between £5k-£10k to replace a battery

One of the bigger questions is how long a battery will last, those batteries are as unpredictable as an AA in a torch. But Telsa who are seen as having the most advanced batteries are predicting batteries in the new model3 will last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles which would give a long life if the average yearly mileage is 12,000
Hybrid Car Batteries on 09:19 - Aug 8 with 1662 viewsipswich78

Lots of things, many elements can be recycled and some people are predicting as much as 97% by 2020.

They are also being recommissioned as storage batteries in the home / businesses.

Hybrid Car Batteries on 09:22 - Aug 8 with 1659 viewsipswich78

Hybrid Car Batteries on 19:56 - Aug 7 by Clapham_Junction

They can be used for less intensive purposes. At work we are in the process of purchasing EVs and envisage using the batteries for building storage after they are no longer suitable for the vehicles.

I suspect it will become a normal thing for people to use an old car battery as storage for their house in the future. A 40kW car battery will still be more than enough for domestic storage even at 30-40% degradation.

Hopefully we'll also have a decent recycling process for the batteries that are completely unwanted - battery producers are already required to fund a recycling scheme.

The company I work for focus on sustainability and reducing energy / water use within buildings thus reducing costs. We already work on solar from a commercial perspective and we're just in negotiations with a battery business who do exactly what you mention below. They buy in the old EV batteries, recommission them then add them to a solar array - thus allowing many small businesses to go virtually off grid. There's some quite impressive paybacks when combining these two technologies.

Hybrid Car Batteries on 10:36 - Aug 8 with 1629 viewsMJallday

Friend of mine was quoted 15k for his replacements on his Renault zoe
Which need doing every 7 years or so- so he went for a “lease” option

Given the Zoe was 30k on its own I’ve argued that your depreciation is basically 100% unless you want to be spending 15k on a 7 year old car .

The argument of course is not entirely financial

Until the cost drops and the tech is better I’ll stick with driving something financially viable

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Hybrid Car Batteries on 10:47 - Aug 8 with 1618 viewsipswich78

Hybrid Car Batteries on 10:36 - Aug 8 by MJallday

Friend of mine was quoted 15k for his replacements on his Renault zoe
Which need doing every 7 years or so- so he went for a “lease” option

Given the Zoe was 30k on its own I’ve argued that your depreciation is basically 100% unless you want to be spending 15k on a 7 year old car .

The argument of course is not entirely financial

Until the cost drops and the tech is better I’ll stick with driving something financially viable

£30k for a Zoe? I thought they were nearer £20k?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024