Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No defending Chambers 18:30 - Aug 10 with 1995 viewsMullet

Apart from the first 65 minutes or so. What a horrible error that was, but it shows what happens when you remove Bart, and drop him back in after a game out. I’m still not convinced by Holy but he definitely injured his hand when he collected bravely after the goal. However, we look like a team lacking those key partnerships in some places and solid in others. Had they talked Holy would have swept that away early or told Chambers to boot it, both looked at each other before during and after Gooch having a tap in.

Chambers was a big difference in the beginning, you could see his arm up pointing and controlling the back line much better than last week. It gave the full backs much more confidence I thought, Kenlock let the ball drop a bit too often for my taste but he and Donacien looked way more confident.

Woolfenden next to Chambers and Downes next to Skuse are getting great educations. I can see Downes being sold sooner than most at this rate. They were outnumbered in the middle a lot and still held the ball or stemmed attacks.

We were really unlucky not to get one of three penalties in the first half. Jackson beat his man and the shove was clear so why the ref booked him I’ll never know. Garbutt’s was a clearer dive if it was one.

Skuse and Norwood were great in the first half from set pieces, both could have scored, but Judge seemed to try to do way too much today. Was it the 90th minute when he got his shot saved? Up until then they all seemed overhit passes and runs that forced others to get hemmed in or isolated. When you’ve got two strikers running the channels like that we somehow end up with no one in the middle. It’s no coincidence Garbutt was out of position when he took his goal, albeit it looked like brilliant improvisation to get the ball under control and stick it in from the near post.

I don’t understand 442, Judge and Andre out wide really messed us up and Sunderland had matched us by then. We were so dominant when they had wingbacks and really I think we should have took Jackson off and gone 4231 - I’m surprised we didn’t start with it.

It’s gutting that we should have six points, £ for £. Sunderland are one of the worst sides I’ve seen. They should walk this league twice over, but they look like a Redknapp side in terms of the spread of wages and ability. Ross is either out of his depth there or would have seen us struggling in the Championship and been marginally better than Hurst/Lambert combined last season I think.

The place feels like the ghost of Hurst is all but exorcised, but if we are to have that romantic “bounce” season, we need to see more from the big characters in the squad and better understanding across the thirds. Peterborough could be the pivot where we see just what direction we are travelling.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

No defending Chambers on 18:39 - Aug 10 with 1927 viewshomer_123

Remnants of last season are still there....playing well in patches but not being able to fully stamp our authority on a game.

We should have been out of sight in the first half and ultimately paid the price...even if through a grave mistake.

We have enough (ish) about us to be there or thereabouts but....if we are talking top two then these are games we have to win.

Downes oozes class and you are right...playing next Skuse will help him immensely.

Norwood is going to need service....although in the first half I thought he and Jackson worked very well together.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

No defending Chambers on 18:45 - Aug 10 with 1880 viewsMullet

No defending Chambers on 18:39 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Remnants of last season are still there....playing well in patches but not being able to fully stamp our authority on a game.

We should have been out of sight in the first half and ultimately paid the price...even if through a grave mistake.

We have enough (ish) about us to be there or thereabouts but....if we are talking top two then these are games we have to win.

Downes oozes class and you are right...playing next Skuse will help him immensely.

Norwood is going to need service....although in the first half I thought he and Jackson worked very well together.

Norwood and Jackson don’t play like a partnership and are so different they might well become one, but it’s very frustrating watching them both peel off time and time again. Jackson might struggle with defenders who sit deep and have experience like Buxton, but he has the pace to open up against any playing a high line, especially at Portman Rd. Balls over the top might have been wind affected, but we did show in the first half we could stretch them and then didn’t produce the cross or the run to finish them from midfield. That’s where we needed Judge IMO

I really like the cut of Norwood’s jib but he needs to start scoring, for him as much as us. Sunderland sensing they could nick a winner and changing things was not a positive to take home either.

Garbutt has tweeted it’s not a serious injury but I am in two minds as to whether we throw the Luton game and blood as many ressies as possible or try to get a settled XI going and take a run up to the weekend’s game.

No defending Chambers on 18:48 - Aug 10 with 1847 viewsGuthrum

No defending Chambers on 18:39 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Watching Norwood's showreel from last season, he mostly seemed to feed off through balls behind the defence which he could run onto. We need to be able to replicate that if we want him to be as prolific. Traditional crosses into probably crowded defensive areas do not allow him the space and ball already on the ground to get his shots off so easily.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No defending Chambers on 18:51 - Aug 10 with 1823 viewshomer_123

No defending Chambers on 18:45 - Aug 10 by Mullet

Norwood and Jackson don’t play like a partnership and are so different they might well become one, but it’s very frustrating watching them both peel off time and time again. Jackson might struggle with defenders who sit deep and have experience like Buxton, but he has the pace to open up against any playing a high line, especially at Portman Rd. Balls over the top might have been wind affected, but we did show in the first half we could stretch them and then didn’t produce the cross or the run to finish them from midfield. That’s where we needed Judge IMO

I really like the cut of Norwood’s jib but he needs to start scoring, for him as much as us. Sunderland sensing they could nick a winner and changing things was not a positive to take home either.

Garbutt has tweeted it’s not a serious injury but I am in two minds as to whether we throw the Luton game and blood as many ressies as possible or try to get a settled XI going and take a run up to the weekend’s game.

Judge has shown a distinct lack of creativity. Plenty of grass covered but didnt do a job for the team today.

Playing Judge means a change of formation. Either sacrifice width or sacrifice the second striker.

Hes not done enough to warrant building the team around him.

There were def times when they worked well together as a front two.

No defending Chambers on 18:52 - Aug 10 with 1802 viewshomer_123

No defending Chambers on 18:48 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

Watching Norwood's showreel from last season, he mostly seemed to feed off through balls behind the defence which he could run onto. We need to be able to replicate that if we want him to be as prolific. Traditional crosses into probably crowded defensive areas do not allow him the space and ball already on the ground to get his shots off so easily.

Indeed...he needs service to thrive.

No defending Chambers on 18:56 - Aug 10 with 1762 viewsDubtractor

I thought Norwood and Jackson made a really good pairing in the first half, less so the second.

Judge massively frustrating. Has lots of ability but no positional discipline at all, and his set piece delivery was sh1te today.

That rick from Chambers was inexcusable though. They never looked like scoring and it was a gift.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

No defending Chambers on 18:56 - Aug 10 with 1758 viewsGuthrum

No defending Chambers on 18:52 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Indeed...he needs service to thrive.

Not just service, but a specific type of service.

I don't doubt he will start getting goals from crosses as well, but through balls definitely seem to be his favourites.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No defending Chambers on 18:57 - Aug 10 with 1751 viewsMullet

No defending Chambers on 18:51 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Judge has shown a distinct lack of creativity. Plenty of grass covered but didnt do a job for the team today.

Playing Judge means a change of formation. Either sacrifice width or sacrifice the second striker.

Hes not done enough to warrant building the team around him.

There were def times when they worked well together as a front two.

His first touch span off his shin and went 10 yards too far ahead of him and that seemed to set the tone. However, I think once he gets a clearer view on where Norwood and Jackson like the ball he’ll be more productive.

It’s concerning that Garbutt looks a much better prospect at LM and Huws is possibly the best no.10 we could ask for. At some point Lambert will struggle to play them all especially if Rowe plays well consistently too.

Login to get fewer ads

No defending Chambers on 19:01 - Aug 10 with 1717 viewsMoriarty

Norris might become a regular, and obviously Huws.

I expect we’ll shop in the loan market soon. One up front and two at the back.

No reason we can’t be there or thereabouts.

fka omuircheartaigh

No defending Chambers on 19:02 - Aug 10 with 1699 viewschicoazul

Very good point about the education Downes and Woolf are getting from Skuse and Chambo.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

No defending Chambers on 19:03 - Aug 10 with 1701 viewsMullet

No defending Chambers on 18:56 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

I thought Norwood and Jackson made a really good pairing in the first half, less so the second.

Judge massively frustrating. Has lots of ability but no positional discipline at all, and his set piece delivery was sh1te today.

That rick from Chambers was inexcusable though. They never looked like scoring and it was a gift.

Maybe we still have that losers mentality hanging over us? We absolutely capitulated because Chambers did. Until we start winning regularly perhaps we will be vulnerable to that sort of thing?

No defending Chambers on 19:06 - Aug 10 with 1677 viewshomer_123

No defending Chambers on 18:56 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

Not just service, but a specific type of service.

I don't doubt he will start getting goals from crosses as well, but through balls definitely seem to be his favourites.

Dozzell and those reverse passes spring to mind.

No defending Chambers on 19:20 - Aug 10 with 1618 viewsMullet

No defending Chambers on 19:01 - Aug 10 by Moriarty

Norris might become a regular, and obviously Huws.

I expect we’ll shop in the loan market soon. One up front and two at the back.

No reason we can’t be there or thereabouts.

Beyond a decent striker I’m not sure who we need. Assume it’d be an RB as Emmanuel and Cotter are banished from Lambert’s thoughts.

But we have a massive squad with loads to come back. Unless there is a pressing need to send out youngsters currently around the squad there is a case that Lambert has to fit in a wealth of midfielders who have talent and a track record to do well in this league.

No defending Chambers on 19:43 - Aug 10 with 1514 viewsbilllm

Put it in the stand end of, basic defending, I don't want to swear IL stop now,
No defending Chambers on 20:16 - Aug 10 with 1370 viewsMoriarty

No defending Chambers on 19:20 - Aug 10 by Mullet

Beyond a decent striker I’m not sure who we need. Assume it’d be an RB as Emmanuel and Cotter are banished from Lambert’s thoughts.

But we have a massive squad with loads to come back. Unless there is a pressing need to send out youngsters currently around the squad there is a case that Lambert has to fit in a wealth of midfielders who have talent and a track record to do well in this league.

We’re certainly well stacked in the middle. And you’re right about injuries- once the treatment room empties, we’re fine. So 2 or 3 short term loans until January?

Chambers has lost a few yards, possibly a yard too many. I felt for him today. But time nor tide waits. Not sure if Bailey Clements is ready yet if needed?

I understand Cotter preferred himself as a striker once upon a time (that could actually have read “stripper” if predictive text prevailed). His application will make him or break him. I did think that he and Emmanuel should be able to have a go at it at this level.

fka omuircheartaigh

No defending Chambers on 21:52 - Aug 10 with 1211 viewsMullet

No defending Chambers on 20:16 - Aug 10 by Moriarty

We’re certainly well stacked in the middle. And you’re right about injuries- once the treatment room empties, we’re fine. So 2 or 3 short term loans until January?

Chambers has lost a few yards, possibly a yard too many. I felt for him today. But time nor tide waits. Not sure if Bailey Clements is ready yet if needed?

I understand Cotter preferred himself as a striker once upon a time (that could actually have read “stripper” if predictive text prevailed). His application will make him or break him. I did think that he and Emmanuel should be able to have a go at it at this level.

I still think had we done more to pin them back and stopped giving it away, Chambers is never put in that position nor is Holy. But he will still save us more points than he gives away I reckon.

We lack a lot of experience and cohesion at the back that will be something we need to work on this month.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024