Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monday morning thoughts 08:05 - Aug 12 with 3322 viewsSteve_M

Well I'm far more positive after two league games of this season than I was after the first two of last season but two big failings remain and until we work out how to improve on them we will not quite be successful:

1). The ability to concede (or nearly concede) from positions where the opposition has only a 10-20% chance of scoring. We did it Saturday, we did it at Burton too but Holy got lucky. It's a bad habit.

2). Not creating clear cut chances from good amounts of possession. I know there are some stats floating around that show this in a more positive light but we still don't look like a side expecting to score when it attacks. We definitely didn't believe we would go and get a winner after Sunderland equalised.

Both will improve with wins and confidence and are, in many ways, inevitable hangovers from last season so to expect them to have vanished within a couple of matches is unrealistic. I don't think either is about individuals particularly, just a team that isn't used to winning matches and so makes harder work of everything than it should.

One big improvement is that we don't look like we're playing with a man down as we did for virtually all of last season, that partly reflects the opposition not being as good but also a few players improving the over all dynamic of the team - Rowe, Garbutt and Norwood in particular.

So, plenty of positives but still much to improve on. We still need another striker and a full back at the very least and to get some players fit - Huws looked two divisions above everyone else on the pitch in his brief cameo at Burton - and then go from there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Monday morning thoughts on 08:11 - Aug 12 with 3256 viewsMetal_Hacker

I suppose the bigger picture is 4 points from 6

Two weeks ago I'd have taken that

Poll: If it were one or the other

Monday morning thoughts on 08:13 - Aug 12 with 3249 viewshomer_123

Fair points Steve.

We certainly still look like we 'have a mistake' in us and I am sure you are right that this is as much about confidence as anything.

Norwood is going to need balls played through to him to score - if we can get that supply going (think Dozzell and reverse passes etc.) and we'll get far more confident attacking.

One big takeaway for me, particularly Saturday is Judge. Coming on for Garbutt, he did not do a job for the team, sadly. Garbutt is a wide player and gave us shape, we lost that with Judge coming on - he drifts and goes looking for the ball...which is great if we create from it but he didn't - he was poor and ultimately we looked far less threatening when he was on the pitch.

He's a number 10 but is h really that good to change our formation. We either loose width to accommodate him or we go to 1 up front.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Monday morning thoughts on 08:14 - Aug 12 with 3239 viewshomer_123

Monday morning thoughts on 08:11 - Aug 12 by Metal_Hacker

I suppose the bigger picture is 4 points from 6

Two weeks ago I'd have taken that

It'a a decent return but, being a moaning negative supporter for a minute - it should have been 6 from 6. If we have aspirations for top 2 then it's 2 points dropped.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Monday morning thoughts on 08:21 - Aug 12 with 3204 viewschicoazul

Good post Steve-O. Think you are dead right about the hangover from last season. It's all about confidence and if the boyos can keep grinding results out then I hope we will start to flow and your Huws Judge Skuse and (hopefully) Daryl Murphy will show themselves to be a class above.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Monday morning thoughts on 08:22 - Aug 12 with 3207 viewsSteve_M

Monday morning thoughts on 08:13 - Aug 12 by homer_123

Fair points Steve.

We certainly still look like we 'have a mistake' in us and I am sure you are right that this is as much about confidence as anything.

Norwood is going to need balls played through to him to score - if we can get that supply going (think Dozzell and reverse passes etc.) and we'll get far more confident attacking.

One big takeaway for me, particularly Saturday is Judge. Coming on for Garbutt, he did not do a job for the team, sadly. Garbutt is a wide player and gave us shape, we lost that with Judge coming on - he drifts and goes looking for the ball...which is great if we create from it but he didn't - he was poor and ultimately we looked far less threatening when he was on the pitch.

He's a number 10 but is h really that good to change our formation. We either loose width to accommodate him or we go to 1 up front.

I think some of the criticism of Judge since Saturday has been overdone but he isn't fully fit and didn't play well, either positionally or in his use of the ball, although the latter was generally the right ball just not executed properly.

He has to play in a 4-4-2 sometimes even if he doesn't want to. I don't think we can play him behind two strikers though, it leaves us needing a lot from the full backs attacking and defending and ours aren't good enough for that. Maybe that;s just against the better sides though and at times we can be much more attacking.

Norwood needs a goal I think, he's trying a bit too hard at the moment. Less so on Saturday than at Burton but his all round movement and presence is an asset so it looks like the goals will come. His social media presence is a positive too, other than Chambers we don't seem to have too many vocal players.

As disappointing as we were second half, Sunderland were better than in the first. They were poor over all but the odd occasions, even in the first half, where they clicked they looked like a side with good players.

Monday morning thoughts on 08:28 - Aug 12 with 3169 viewsGuthrum

Monday morning thoughts on 08:14 - Aug 12 by homer_123

It'a a decent return but, being a moaning negative supporter for a minute - it should have been 6 from 6. If we have aspirations for top 2 then it's 2 points dropped.

Not sure that's mathematically true. If Sunderland are one of our main rivals for promotion, then a draw is an ok result. It's the likes of Southend and Bristol Rovers, right up to MK Dons we have to be beating. As long as we lose no more than half-a-dozen, plus twice that many draws, we'll be in the mix for the top two.

It's also probably good to get a slip-up early (and that not leading to defeat), so issues can be addressed. Dicey wins can sometimes mask problems which need to be dealt with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Monday morning thoughts on 08:29 - Aug 12 with 3165 viewsxrayspecs

Fair points Steve.

While I agree with you to an extent - Garbutt provides width and delivery from the left - he had drifted into the right hand side of the box to score his goal.

Judge is not match fit so I would give him a few more games to get into the team/season.
Monday morning thoughts on 08:31 - Aug 12 with 3156 viewsGuthrum

Fair points Steve.

I have a feeling that another winger is among Lambert's three targets. Judge was sent on because he has some ability to play there, but more as part of a front three than a genuine wide-man in a 4-4-2.

Login to get fewer ads

Monday morning thoughts on 08:32 - Aug 12 with 3156 viewsReuser_is_God

Agree with all you’ve said.

I think Saturday also showed up the imbalance of our squad. We were crying out for more width &/or a different option upfront during the second half & we had neither on the bench & ended up with a central midfielder on both flanks.

With Lankester & now Garbutt out that leaves us with an unknown quantity in Rowe & a recovering Edwards who isn’t going to be up to speed for another 2 months so I’d say a winger/wide striker is very much a priority now.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2019 8:35]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Monday morning thoughts on 08:35 - Aug 12 with 3134 viewsGuthrum

Monday morning thoughts on 08:32 - Aug 12 by Reuser_is_God

I think Saturday also showed up the imbalance of our squad. We were crying out for more width &/or a different option upfront during the second half & we had neither on the bench & ended up with a central midfielder on both flanks.

With Lankester & now Garbutt out that leaves us with an unknown quantity in Rowe & a recovering Edwards who isn’t going to be up to speed for another 2 months so I’d say a winger/wide striker is very much a priority now.

Is Garbutt out? Didn't think we'd heard any more on whether it was just a knock or anything more serious.

Monday morning thoughts on 08:38 - Aug 12 with 3113 viewsReuser_is_God

Monday morning thoughts on 08:35 - Aug 12 by Guthrum

Is Garbutt out? Didn't think we'd heard any more on whether it was just a knock or anything more serious.

Not heard but knowing our luck with injuries it’ll be months.

Assume we’ll find out more today/tomorrow.

Evans out

Monday morning thoughts on 09:36 - Aug 12 with 2902 viewsWestcountryblue

Monday morning thoughts on 08:32 - Aug 12 by Reuser_is_God

Edwards won't take 2 months to get up to speed.
Monday morning thoughts on 09:40 - Aug 12 with 2886 viewsReuser_is_God

Monday morning thoughts on 09:36 - Aug 12 by Westcountryblue

Edwards won't take 2 months to get up to speed.

Really? He's had no pre season & has only just returned to training.

Evans out

Monday morning thoughts on 09:56 - Aug 12 with 2813 viewsJakeITFC

Key thing for me is that we took the game to Sunderland in the first half and they couldn’t cope with us for a number of reasons.

Was a real breath of fresh air to see an Ipswich side on the front foot, having a go. It’s a cliche that was rolled out by pretty much everyone I spoke to after the game on Saturday, but I really think that if Sunderland are the best this division has to offer then we are going to have to monumentally mess up to not be in the top 2 mix come May.
Monday morning thoughts on 10:06 - Aug 12 with 2761 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Monday morning thoughts on 09:56 - Aug 12 by JakeITFC

Key thing for me is that we took the game to Sunderland in the first half and they couldn’t cope with us for a number of reasons.

Was a real breath of fresh air to see an Ipswich side on the front foot, having a go. It’s a cliche that was rolled out by pretty much everyone I spoke to after the game on Saturday, but I really think that if Sunderland are the best this division has to offer then we are going to have to monumentally mess up to not be in the top 2 mix come May.

Completely agree. They were poor though and won't be the best the league has to offer IMO.

I loved Saturday and to have such a big crowd, with an atmosphere, took me back about 15 years to when I really enjoyed going to games.
Monday morning thoughts on 10:18 - Aug 12 with 2705 viewsSteve_M

Monday morning thoughts on 10:06 - Aug 12 by PrideOfTheEast

Completely agree. They were poor though and won't be the best the league has to offer IMO.

I loved Saturday and to have such a big crowd, with an atmosphere, took me back about 15 years to when I really enjoyed going to games.

The atmosphere was really good and it was great to see the ground nearly full (the top corners of SAR upper and East of England stand) were the only really empty gaps. We had that during 2014-15 but didn't build on it so if we could start winning at home regularly then we could get decent crowds all season.

There was an awful lot of grumbling when we conceded though, not so much the goal as moans about every subsequent mistake. There needs to be a bit of patience with this team too.

A full back and.... on 10:25 - Aug 12 with 2669 viewsBloots

....a target man are a must.

Not sure if there's much in the Kane Vincent-young link, but an attacking full back with some versatility would be ideal.

We need a real target man urgently, whilst Norwood is an able alternative it is plainly limiting his goal chances when he is the one holding it up and bringing others into play.

He's a goal scorer who thrives on chances and he's not going to get many if he's constantly playing with his back to goal.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Monday morning thoughts on 10:32 - Aug 12 with 2629 viewsHerbivore

Monday morning thoughts on 08:14 - Aug 12 by homer_123

I'd be interested to see whether the teams who finish top 2 take more than 4 points from those same fixtures. Burton beat several of the top sides at home last season whilst Sunderland's away record was excellent. We need it stop navel gazing and be mindful of the league we're in. Yes we can improve but we've had two of the tougher fixtures we'll face this season, we've taken four points and ought to have taken six. That in itself is evidence we'll end up in the promotion fight imo, albeit it's early days and we'd benefit from a couple more bodies to bolster us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A full back and.... on 10:35 - Aug 12 with 2604 viewsSomethingBlue

A full back and.... on 10:25 - Aug 12 by Bloots

....a target man are a must.

Not sure if there's much in the Kane Vincent-young link, but an attacking full back with some versatility would be ideal.

We need a real target man urgently, whilst Norwood is an able alternative it is plainly limiting his goal chances when he is the one holding it up and bringing others into play.

He's a goal scorer who thrives on chances and he's not going to get many if he's constantly playing with his back to goal.

Yep, both are clearly vital. If we can strengthen in those areas then, based on this limited early evidence, I think our chances look very good. But if we don't then there's always going to be an element of jeopardy that a club like this should never be accepting, especially given our barely believable luck with injuries.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Monday morning thoughts on 10:40 - Aug 12 with 2567 viewsSomethingBlue

Monday morning thoughts on 10:32 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

I'd be interested to see whether the teams who finish top 2 take more than 4 points from those same fixtures. Burton beat several of the top sides at home last season whilst Sunderland's away record was excellent. We need it stop navel gazing and be mindful of the league we're in. Yes we can improve but we've had two of the tougher fixtures we'll face this season, we've taken four points and ought to have taken six. That in itself is evidence we'll end up in the promotion fight imo, albeit it's early days and we'd benefit from a couple more bodies to bolster us.

Seems to me, early on, that a hell of a lot of teams are going to take points off each other. I suspect we are going to be very hard to beat, even if there will remain frustrations about putting teams away, because when all's said and done we have better players than almost everyone. Look at the team we don't have available at the moment. I'm with you — two more good signings and we'll be set pretty fair.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024