Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Currency advice - Switzerland... 12:28 - Aug 12 with 1470 viewsKieran_Knows

.. good people of TWTD, I'm after some currency advice for Switzerland. I have some Euro's left from an earlier trip away this summer, but have read that some places don't accept the euro in Switzerland, so was just wondering if it is best to change to Swiss Francs before I go?

I'll probably end up paying for a lot of things on card anyway, but would just be decent to have a few £ in franc's or euros, but just not sure what to go for?

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 12:32 - Aug 12 with 1453 viewsTractorCam

Yes go with the Francs not Euros!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:09 - Aug 12 with 1392 viewsfactual_blue

Keep the Euros.

They'll be the stable currency we use in the UK post-brexit.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:12 - Aug 12 with 1380 viewstabletopjoe

When they say they accept ‘Euros’, they mean at the same rate as the CHF. You’ll find this rather expensive

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:18 - Aug 12 with 1353 viewsFixed_It

Have always exchanged to Swiss Francs when I have been over there.
Everything is VERY expensive - this is what a post-Brexit Britain has to look forward to.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:23 - Aug 12 with 1341 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Beautiful country...enjoy. And yes it's not cheap but not as terrifyingly expensive as people made out before I went (Zurich)
Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:28 - Aug 12 with 1327 viewsKieran_Knows

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 13:23 - Aug 12 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Beautiful country...enjoy. And yes it's not cheap but not as terrifyingly expensive as people made out before I went (Zurich)

Cheers. I'm off to Lucerne, although flying in to Zurich then will get the train down after.

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 15:11 - Aug 12 with 1236 viewstcfc

When I go I almost exclusively use my Revolut card. Saves messing around exchanging money and so easy. Great for all over the world.
Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:28 - Aug 12 with 1203 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you mean changing EUR for CHF?

If you do that, do it in Switzerland. If you do it here it will likely be a two stage transaction where your EUR will be converted to GBP and then to CHF. You will be royally screwed over.

Best bet if you travel frequently and will use the EUR at a later date is just to get some CHF with sterling.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:32 - Aug 12 with 1199 viewsKieran_Knows

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:28 - Aug 12 by J2BLUE

Do you mean changing EUR for CHF?

If you do that, do it in Switzerland. If you do it here it will likely be a two stage transaction where your EUR will be converted to GBP and then to CHF. You will be royally screwed over.

Best bet if you travel frequently and will use the EUR at a later date is just to get some CHF with sterling.

I meant a bit of both really, do I change GBP here for CHF, AND, I have some left over Euro's which I was considering changing to CHF.

Cheers though, I probably will just get CHF before I go and be on the safe side then.

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:36 - Aug 12 with 1183 viewsJ2BLUE

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:32 - Aug 12 by Kieran_Knows

I meant a bit of both really, do I change GBP here for CHF, AND, I have some left over Euro's which I was considering changing to CHF.

Cheers though, I probably will just get CHF before I go and be on the safe side then.

Do click and collect to get a better rate and ensure they have them in stock.

I'd either keep the EUR or change them in Switzerland. Or you could always carry them and pay with them if they aren't screwing you over. I have never been but can't imagine they will charge too much more in EUR as its not in their interests to do so with most of Europe using EUR.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:38 - Aug 12 with 1176 viewsKieran_Knows

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:36 - Aug 12 by J2BLUE

Do click and collect to get a better rate and ensure they have them in stock.

I'd either keep the EUR or change them in Switzerland. Or you could always carry them and pay with them if they aren't screwing you over. I have never been but can't imagine they will charge too much more in EUR as its not in their interests to do so with most of Europe using EUR.

Yes, I never realised that until earlier in the year when I was getting some euros.

Cheers, I'll probably just leave the euros until another trip abroad then!

Currency advice - Switzerland... on 16:39 - Aug 12 with 1176 viewsnrb1985

I live in Geneva. The currency is very much CHF. People here ocassionally accept Euros (very rarely) due to proximity to the border and some people living in France. Having Euros though in Zuri/Lucerne will be useless.

Unfortunately, due to good ol Nige et al GBPCHF is currently at its lowest level ever.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024