Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse 14:08 - Aug 12 with 2175 viewsWestcountryblue

At the start of the season i was delighted to see Jackson and Norwood given a go in a 4-4-2. I thought it was a positive move that rewarded both for their excellent form in pre season. However, after watching the game on Saturday i'm not too sure 4-4-2 is the best formation for us with Downes and Skuse in the middle. We huffed and puffed but didn't look incisive enough to provide our front 2 with the kind of service they need.

Downes and Skuse by trade are central defensive midfielders, with Flynn being the more expansive and forward thinking of the 2. While both have been outstanding so far this season, i do think we need someone with the quality of Huws or Dozzell to provide Norwood/Jackson with a better level of service, especially when we are at home.

It would be a real tough call, but if we do persist with the 4-4-2, i'd personally prefer Huws to Skuse in the middle, as he is a cut above and will provide more forward impetus to the team. That, or we go Norwood up top with Judge or Huws in the more advanced role (or play both in a three with Downes).

We have a plethora of midfielders who are arguably too good for this division, i think there will be some tough calls ahead for Lambert.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2019 14:10]
4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 15:13 - Aug 12 with 2014 viewsMaySixth

Good post, Skuse was excellent Saturday but we need a bit more creativity based on the two games I have seen.

We could play a diamond with Judge in behind the strikers and Downes at the base.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 15:30 - Aug 12 with 1974 viewsClapham_Junction

I thought 4-4-2 worked in the first half against Sunderland when Rowe and Garbutt actually kept their positions.

In the second half it was a mess as both Judge and Rowe came inside, meaning we lacked width and had an overly-congested midfield - Rowe's absence on the right was particularly noticeable whenever Donacien had the ball and no-one up the line to pass to.

Agree that fitting in Huws or Dozzell is important though.
4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 16:14 - Aug 12 with 1916 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I think the simple answer is 3-5-2....

------------------------------------HOLY------------------------------------

------------CHAMBERS---WOOLFENDEN---DONACIEN------------

ROWE----------------DOWNES--------SKUSE-------------GARBUTT

-----------------------------------JUDGE-----------------------------------

-------------------------NORWOOD---JACKSON------------------------

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 16:35 - Aug 12 with 1863 viewswellsy700

Holy

Donacien Woolfenden Chambers Kenlock

Downes Skuse

Rowe Judge Garbutt/Dozzell

Norwood

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 16:39 - Aug 12 with 1851 viewsSteve_M

If we played a midfield of two wingers plus Huws and only one sitting player I suspect we would see a lot more moaning about how crap our defence is.

I thought we had the balance right in midfield whilst Garbutt was on the pitch Saturday, less so after half-time but I'm not sure that was necessarily down to the two in the middle.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 17:20 - Aug 12 with 1806 viewsGerkensBeard

In a 4-4-2 the midfielders have a hell of a lot of ground to cover. That’s why Downes and Skuse 2 of our fittest players are able to do it and even up against 3 midfielders.
The only player that could step in to play that role would be Nolan. He’s naturally very fit and provides a goal threat as well as doing the dirty work. Then you could argue Downes maybe lacks the positional covering sense to be the sitter in a 4-4-2. Huws and Dozzell could never cover the ground. Eventually I think we will see a 4-3-3. It’s of a case of when.
4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 17:24 - Aug 12 with 1791 viewschicoazul

Huws and Skuse fit and on song would utterly rule this league.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 20:35 - Aug 12 with 1705 viewsWestcountryblue

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 17:24 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

Huws and Skuse fit and on song would utterly rule this league.

Agreed, it would be good to find a system that incorporates them both. However, when (if) everybody is fully fit, i think Bishop, Downes, Huws is probably the way forward in terms of the variety of different attributes brought to the table. That depends on whether Downes is ready to take up the mantle from Skuse.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2019 20:38]
Login to get fewer ads

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 20:40 - Aug 12 with 1684 viewspointofblue

Skuse and Downes in the middle was fine for the most part on Saturday - we lost our threat on the left when Garbutt went off and Rowe faded thanks for tiredness.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 07:40 - Aug 13 with 1512 viewsthebooks

Skuse was our best player on Saturday and probably the best player we have.

He's also our best passer and can set up attacking moves really quickly: there was a hooked ball he played in the second half on Saturday that was just perfect, and of course *that* pass for the Dozzell goal against Leeds at the end of last season.

I think we'd be nuts to drop him.

I suspect Jackson will lose out in order to slot in three central midfielders, even though he poses more threat than Norwood at the moment. Norwood can hold the ball up, though. I'd be a little worried where the goals will come from while Norwood acclimatises, but I'm sure it'll all work out.
4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 07:45 - Aug 13 with 1501 viewsSteve_M

4-4-2 - Downes and Skuse on 07:40 - Aug 13 by thebooks

Skuse was our best player on Saturday and probably the best player we have.

He's also our best passer and can set up attacking moves really quickly: there was a hooked ball he played in the second half on Saturday that was just perfect, and of course *that* pass for the Dozzell goal against Leeds at the end of last season.

I think we'd be nuts to drop him.

I suspect Jackson will lose out in order to slot in three central midfielders, even though he poses more threat than Norwood at the moment. Norwood can hold the ball up, though. I'd be a little worried where the goals will come from while Norwood acclimatises, but I'm sure it'll all work out.

Fitting Norwood, Jackson and Judge into the same team is going to be an interesting question this season. I agree that Jackson is most likely to lose out but his pace has been a big part of our threat so far this season, particularly in the first half Saturday.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024