Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posh pubs 09:25 - Aug 13 with 1560 viewsunbelievablue

Been a while since I've been to Posh for a drink. I know Charters is popular but if it's raining it'll be a bit of a nightmare crammed into a boat trying to get served.

Is there somewhere most Town fans wll be having a good sing song, a few lagers, a bit of 'top bantz' etc.? Be good to know where to avoid.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Posh pubs on 09:52 - Aug 13 with 1518 viewsTractorWood

Any recommendations for places that don't serve Carling would be gratefully received.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Posh pubs on 09:56 - Aug 13 with 1497 viewsportmanking

Stoneworks all the way.
Posh pubs on 09:57 - Aug 13 with 1498 viewsSteve_M

Posh pubs on 09:52 - Aug 13 by TractorWood

Any recommendations for places that don't serve Carling would be gratefully received.

The description of the Palmerston Arms here is ideal then:

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/abax-stadium-lond

Looks like quite a lot of choice of decent pubs, think I'm going to start at the Brewery Tap.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Posh Pubs on 09:57 - Aug 13 with 1499 viewsSitfcB

Close to the ground is an unusual drinking outlet called Charters. This former Dutch barge is moored on the River Nene, just a few minutes walk away from London Road. Upstairs is a Chinese restaurant, but downstairs there is a bar, which had on my last visit 12 real ales on tap. It was friendly enough and fans were able to take their drinks out onto the river bank, which makes it quite pleasant when the weather is good.

Alun Thomas a visiting Wrexham supporter adds; 'We enjoyed the Palmerston Arms on Oundle Reload. It is away fan friendly and has around 10 real ales on offer. It is around a 15 minute walk away from London Road'. This pub is owned by Batemans Brewery and serves a number of their own ales, as well as additional guest ales. It is a strange pub, in so much that apart from one real ale on handpump, the rest of the ales are dispensed straight from the barrels in the cellar, which can be viewed through a glass window behind the bar. Please note that the pub doesn't stock the likes of Guinness, Carling etc... The pub also doesn't serve food, but doesn't object to customers bringing in their own. A few doors away is the Yard of Ale pub, which also serves real ale and has the benefit of showing Sky Sports. Handily located near to these pubs which you pass on the way to the ground is the Woodston fish and chip shop. Both Charters, the Palmerston Arms and the Yard of Ale, are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Whilst Gordon Pearson recommends the Peacock, which can be found 'as you come over the River Nene, proceed down London Road past the ground on the left and the pub is situated on the right at the traffic lights next to a KFC drive through'. Further on from the Peacock, turning right onto Park Street is the Coalheavers Arms, which has a selection of ales and ciders, a sizeable beer garden and is family friendly. It normally has a good mix of home and away supporters on matchdays. You can also street park in this area.

Alternatively, the ground is within walking distance (10 minutes) of the city centre (which is very pleasant and complete with a cathedral) where there are plenty of good pubs to be found. Most have doormen present on matchdays, but seem happy enough to admit away fans. If you are arriving by train then the Brewery Tap near to the station on Westgate, is worth a visit. The home of Oakham Ales, this spacious bar serves good beer, Thai food and allows you a view into the brewery itself. Pete Cluderay informs me; 'I discovered an excellent pub just up the road from the Brewery Tap called the Wortley Almshouses which is housed within quite an old building. It serves reasonably priced beers by Sam Smiths as well as food.'

Richard Feek tells me; 'Pubs wise there are a couple of notable additions that have recently opened in the City Centre, The Bumble Inn which a small micro pub located on Westgate (opposite the Wortley Almshouse) although on the small side it was very welcoming and serves a range of Real Ales, Ciders and continental lagers. The Stoneworks is a recently opened Craft Beer bar which has opened on Church Street in the City Centre, this is a fair sized open plan bar serving a good quality selection of craft beers, ciders and spirits, something slightly different to the usual City Centre pubs. The Drapers Arms on Cowgate is a two-minute walk from the Station and is a large welcoming Wetherspoons pub. And finally the Solstice is hidden away behind the City Market on Northminster Road, this a large modern yet traditional bar showing sports on various screens, it also has a large outdoor and partly covered seating area outside with Plasma screens. Food is served as is Real Ale and the usual selection of drinks. Attached to the Solstice is Harrys Tea Room for those who would prefer a more relaxed non-alcoholic pre-match drink or two'.

Please note that alcohol is not made available to away supporters inside the stadium

...from Ground Guide
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 10:01]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Posh Pubs on 10:07 - Aug 13 with 1453 viewsunbelievablue

Posh Pubs on 09:57 - Aug 13 by SitfcB

Close to the ground is an unusual drinking outlet called Charters. This former Dutch barge is moored on the River Nene, just a few minutes walk away from London Road. Upstairs is a Chinese restaurant, but downstairs there is a bar, which had on my last visit 12 real ales on tap. It was friendly enough and fans were able to take their drinks out onto the river bank, which makes it quite pleasant when the weather is good.

Alun Thomas a visiting Wrexham supporter adds; 'We enjoyed the Palmerston Arms on Oundle Reload. It is away fan friendly and has around 10 real ales on offer. It is around a 15 minute walk away from London Road'. This pub is owned by Batemans Brewery and serves a number of their own ales, as well as additional guest ales. It is a strange pub, in so much that apart from one real ale on handpump, the rest of the ales are dispensed straight from the barrels in the cellar, which can be viewed through a glass window behind the bar. Please note that the pub doesn't stock the likes of Guinness, Carling etc... The pub also doesn't serve food, but doesn't object to customers bringing in their own. A few doors away is the Yard of Ale pub, which also serves real ale and has the benefit of showing Sky Sports. Handily located near to these pubs which you pass on the way to the ground is the Woodston fish and chip shop. Both Charters, the Palmerston Arms and the Yard of Ale, are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Whilst Gordon Pearson recommends the Peacock, which can be found 'as you come over the River Nene, proceed down London Road past the ground on the left and the pub is situated on the right at the traffic lights next to a KFC drive through'. Further on from the Peacock, turning right onto Park Street is the Coalheavers Arms, which has a selection of ales and ciders, a sizeable beer garden and is family friendly. It normally has a good mix of home and away supporters on matchdays. You can also street park in this area.

Alternatively, the ground is within walking distance (10 minutes) of the city centre (which is very pleasant and complete with a cathedral) where there are plenty of good pubs to be found. Most have doormen present on matchdays, but seem happy enough to admit away fans. If you are arriving by train then the Brewery Tap near to the station on Westgate, is worth a visit. The home of Oakham Ales, this spacious bar serves good beer, Thai food and allows you a view into the brewery itself. Pete Cluderay informs me; 'I discovered an excellent pub just up the road from the Brewery Tap called the Wortley Almshouses which is housed within quite an old building. It serves reasonably priced beers by Sam Smiths as well as food.'

Richard Feek tells me; 'Pubs wise there are a couple of notable additions that have recently opened in the City Centre, The Bumble Inn which a small micro pub located on Westgate (opposite the Wortley Almshouse) although on the small side it was very welcoming and serves a range of Real Ales, Ciders and continental lagers. The Stoneworks is a recently opened Craft Beer bar which has opened on Church Street in the City Centre, this is a fair sized open plan bar serving a good quality selection of craft beers, ciders and spirits, something slightly different to the usual City Centre pubs. The Drapers Arms on Cowgate is a two-minute walk from the Station and is a large welcoming Wetherspoons pub. And finally the Solstice is hidden away behind the City Market on Northminster Road, this a large modern yet traditional bar showing sports on various screens, it also has a large outdoor and partly covered seating area outside with Plasma screens. Food is served as is Real Ale and the usual selection of drinks. Attached to the Solstice is Harrys Tea Room for those who would prefer a more relaxed non-alcoholic pre-match drink or two'.

Please note that alcohol is not made available to away supporters inside the stadium

...from Ground Guide
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 10:01]

No booze in the ground? Arse.

Posh pubs on 10:11 - Aug 13 with 1446 viewsDyland

Posh pubs on 09:57 - Aug 13 by Steve_M

The description of the Palmerston Arms here is ideal then:

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/abax-stadium-lond

Looks like quite a lot of choice of decent pubs, think I'm going to start at the Brewery Tap.

Just don't be tempted by...

'I discovered an excellent pub just up the road from the Brewery Tap called the Wortley Almshouses which is housed within quite an old building. It serves reasonably priced beers by Sam Smiths as well as food.'

Key words being Sam Smiths ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Posh pubs on 12:13 - Aug 13 with 1336 viewsFacefacts

I live locally (to Peterborough) and would recommend the Coalheavers. Best real ale pub near to the ground.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/coalheavers-arms-peterborough
Away fan friendly? (n/t) on 12:14 - Aug 13 with 1328 viewsDyland

Posh pubs on 12:13 - Aug 13 by Facefacts

I live locally (to Peterborough) and would recommend the Coalheavers. Best real ale pub near to the ground.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/coalheavers-arms-peterborough

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Posh pubs on 12:39 - Aug 13 with 1285 viewsrosseden

i have a bar and we dont serve that particular lager or any like it really, was sat outside last friday lunch time, group of builders walk up, 4 or 5 sit outside, 3 or 4 go in, one who was outside (who had clearly been before) says to his mate, get me a pint of Estrella please.

wind forward 30 seconds, they come out saying, 'this place must be sh1t, they dont have carling or fosters', then looks at his mate and says, 'i thought you had been here before why ask for Stella, they aint got that either'

I was very proud at that point as the Estrella guy looked at me and rolled his eyes and then said i guess we should go to Lloyds

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Posh pubs on 12:48 - Aug 13 with 1262 viewstextbackup

If memory serves me, stay away from the Drapers Arms

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Posh pubs on 13:36 - Aug 13 with 1180 viewsunbelievablue

Posh pubs on 12:48 - Aug 13 by textbackup

Ah, that one eh?

EDIT - ignore edit, didn't realise it had been done out.

[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 13:41]

Posh pubs on 13:57 - Aug 13 with 1135 viewsITFC_Forever

Posh pubs on 12:48 - Aug 13 by textbackup

And more to the point, if their fans’ memories serve.... (going back 14 years).

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024