Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is that when we make 10 changes... 08:20 - Aug 14 with 2705 viewsitfcjoe

....we always look like a team of strangers in blue shirts, but when the opposition make similar they seem to be able to put out a coherent team that looks like a regular XI

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:02 - Aug 14 with 2598 viewsSWGF

We commented on that last night. We were playing a formation which all players should have been familiar with yet there were gaping holes everywhere, especially in central mid. There were countless times that the ball fell 20-25yds out from our goal and they had someone strolling onto it to have a shot with nobody in blue anywhere close.
Luton's players knew exactly what shape they were playing and their roles in that formation.

And, yet again, our 451/433 left the sole strike ridiculously isolated.

Hope it was all down to fitness...

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:04 - Aug 14 with 2573 viewsHerbivore

We looked cohesive when we played the kids at Palace a couple of years ago, but they were all used to playing each other. Last night's side was properly thrown together, quite a few of them were playing with each other for the first time. Ordinarily a second XI will have more experience of having played together.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:09 - Aug 14 with 2561 viewsitfcjoe

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:04 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

We looked cohesive when we played the kids at Palace a couple of years ago, but they were all used to playing each other. Last night's side was properly thrown together, quite a few of them were playing with each other for the first time. Ordinarily a second XI will have more experience of having played together.

But the Luton side had 6 new signings in it, some who had come late in the window.

I think we make the excuse for our side because we know what is going on in more depth - I can't imagine all these other sides we come up against don't have similar problems which they seem to get over

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:11 - Aug 14 with 2552 viewsitfcjoe

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:02 - Aug 14 by SWGF

We commented on that last night. We were playing a formation which all players should have been familiar with yet there were gaping holes everywhere, especially in central mid. There were countless times that the ball fell 20-25yds out from our goal and they had someone strolling onto it to have a shot with nobody in blue anywhere close.
Luton's players knew exactly what shape they were playing and their roles in that formation.

And, yet again, our 451/433 left the sole strike ridiculously isolated.

Hope it was all down to fitness...

You need a striker to hold a team like that together and a solid spine through the team - which we don't have. But do they, did other teams we have played?

I think we risk over analysing our own shortcomings and make excuses without knowing the state of the other team. All these players bar Edwards and Judge (who missed the contact side but did everythin else) had a full pre season effectively.

You can see why Wilson and Jordan Roberts spent the season on the bench at Lincoln last year

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:14 - Aug 14 with 2532 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Agreed. The lack of communication was staggering.

The first goal, who is talking and telling people to watch their shoulders, and who was helping Bailey through the game.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:20 - Aug 14 with 2498 viewsHerbivore

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:09 - Aug 14 by itfcjoe

But the Luton side had 6 new signings in it, some who had come late in the window.

I think we make the excuse for our side because we know what is going on in more depth - I can't imagine all these other sides we come up against don't have similar problems which they seem to get over

Indeed, but the quality of their signings was significantly higher than ours with them now being a Championship side. Lua Lua has much greater pedigree than James Wilson. They were giving a debut to James Bree whilst we were giving one to Bailey Clements. I know PL spoke about wanting to win every game but that line up for me was almost throwing the game away but giving some players some game time. It was a belated preseason friendly for us.

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:23 - Aug 14 with 2470 viewsFreddies_Ears

We had no midfield destroyer, or tackler. Huws and Dozzell are not going to be crunching the tackles in. So our defence was continually exposed.

And Roberts, for all his efforts, is a bit rubbish.
Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:28 - Aug 14 with 2453 viewsSWGF

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:23 - Aug 14 by Freddies_Ears

We had no midfield destroyer, or tackler. Huws and Dozzell are not going to be crunching the tackles in. So our defence was continually exposed.

And Roberts, for all his efforts, is a bit rubbish.

Who was Luton's "midfield destroyer"? Can't say I noticed one. They had Izzy Brown strolling around, playing with his old boy out. Our lack of fitness/energy in central midfield was really noticeable.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:32 - Aug 14 with 2427 viewsHerbivore

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:28 - Aug 14 by SWGF

Who was Luton's "midfield destroyer"? Can't say I noticed one. They had Izzy Brown strolling around, playing with his old boy out. Our lack of fitness/energy in central midfield was really noticeable.

Well yeah, we had Huws starting his first game in over 2 years and Dozzer who is not known for being massively energetic and isn't really fully match fit himself. I'm not sure why anyone is remotely surprised or concerned by last night. When I saw the line up it was clear we were going out and it was about getting minutes into players' legs and having a look at the likes of Dobra and Dozzer to see what part they might play.

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:34 - Aug 14 with 2416 viewsJakeITFC

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:32 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

Well yeah, we had Huws starting his first game in over 2 years and Dozzer who is not known for being massively energetic and isn't really fully match fit himself. I'm not sure why anyone is remotely surprised or concerned by last night. When I saw the line up it was clear we were going out and it was about getting minutes into players' legs and having a look at the likes of Dobra and Dozzer to see what part they might play.

Still, never ideal to be given the absolute runaround by Luton reserves.
Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:43 - Aug 14 with 2370 viewsHerbivore

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:34 - Aug 14 by JakeITFC

Still, never ideal to be given the absolute runaround by Luton reserves.

Agreed. Shows how far we've fallen since the days of Mick when our reserve side put them in their place at Kenilworth Road. TWTD.

There's probably a really complicated.... on 10:04 - Aug 14 with 2339 viewsBloots

....modern football speak explanation for this.

One that I'm sure Lambert will use at some stage.

But the reality is that we are a badly run club off the pitch, with no real style of play or identity on it.

We also have a group of players that aren't very good.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

There's probably a really complicated.... on 10:05 - Aug 14 with 2314 viewsHerbivore

There's probably a really complicated.... on 10:04 - Aug 14 by Bloots

But the reality is that we are a badly run club off the pitch, with no real style of play or identity on it.

You must be gutted you had to wait until our third game of the season to make that post.

Is it the first time I've said it then? (n/t) on 10:08 - Aug 14 with 2306 viewsBloots

There's probably a really complicated.... on 10:05 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

You must be gutted you had to wait until our third game of the season to make that post.

Is it the first time I've said it then? (n/t) on 10:09 - Aug 14 with 2291 viewsHerbivore

Is it the first time I've said it then? (n/t) on 10:08 - Aug 14 by Bloots

In at least a couple of weeks I reckon.

Well this is the first time.... on 10:14 - Aug 14 with 2283 viewsBloots

Is it the first time I've said it then? (n/t) on 10:09 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

In at least a couple of weeks I reckon.

....in two weeks that we have seen the real depth of quality at the club, so it would have been churlish to comment on it previously.

I made similar comments in pre season when we were using "the squad".

And obviously it was plain to see all of last season.

Balance.

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 10:15 - Aug 14 with 2280 viewsBent_double

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 09:43 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

Agreed. Shows how far we've fallen since the days of Mick when our reserve side put them in their place at Kenilworth Road. TWTD.

Wouldn't say it was our reserve side with Didz and Celina upfront that day, but anyway we should have given Luton more of a game last night, regardless of what team we put out.

Way too easy for them, they probably eased off at 3-0 knowing that we didn't have anything that was going to threaten them, that's what really annoys me.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Why is that when we make 10 changes... on 11:24 - Aug 14 with 2194 viewsDarth_Koont

I think we've been suffering from a lack of confidence and momentum for a few years now. Of course, we don't have a divine right to play well but our inability to often do the basics seems to suggest we're not always that comfortable out on the pitch.

It's chicken and egg because we really need a proper run of wins to get us out of the rut. So we probably need to start off with a bit of luck and perhaps a simpler approach to winning games like during Mick's first few years.

Personally, I don't see any problem with trying not to get beat. It keeps us in games like last night's and it also means we can hold onto leads like on Saturday. Under Lambert, I get the feeling we often try to take a shortcut to winning games by thinking we have an attack that can score more goals than the opposition and that's rarely been true.

Pronouns: He/Him

There's probably a really complicated.... on 12:37 - Aug 14 with 2114 viewschicoazul

There's probably a really complicated.... on 10:04 - Aug 14 by Bloots

Think our first choice 11 is ok and there are 2 or 3 other players who are also ok. Everyone else is either a) sht or b) young.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

There's probably a really complicated.... on 12:43 - Aug 14 with 2083 viewsBeckets

There's probably a really complicated.... on 12:37 - Aug 14 by chicoazul

Think our first choice 11 is ok and there are 2 or 3 other players who are also ok. Everyone else is either a) sht or b) young.

Pretty accurate assessment in two sentences but I think two or three trade ups at full back, centre back and striker would make an enormous difference. Emmanuel, Wilson and Roberts are League 2 squad players. We need better.
There's probably a really complicated.... on 12:48 - Aug 14 with 2069 viewschicoazul

There's probably a really complicated.... on 12:43 - Aug 14 by Beckets

Pretty accurate assessment in two sentences but I think two or three trade ups at full back, centre back and striker would make an enormous difference. Emmanuel, Wilson and Roberts are League 2 squad players. We need better.

Bear in mind though, I thought Emmanuel was good and our best young player and would be a star this year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024