Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night 09:54 - Aug 14 with 5220 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not the result or team selection - that sort of thing has been par for the course for sometime now and tbh I don’t really have a problem with the league being the focus

However, what did hit home was the fact Luton also made 11 changes and the general view being that we couldn’t really have expected to do any better based on the respective teams and current standing in the league, and then realising that is 100% accurate

Luton FFS, sad times indeed

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:12 - Aug 14 with 4102 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I can take it for this season, but IF we go back up, what worries me is how we are supposed to compete in the Championship without major investment?

And do we know that with Evans, thats unlikely.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:14 - Aug 14 with 4077 viewsStokieBlue

It's not really like for like though.

They made 11 changes which were their actual reserves. We couldn't do that due to injuries so our changes were half-fit reserves and under 23's.

Still not great I admit but let's be fair in the comparisons.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:15 - Aug 14 with 4073 viewsjeera

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:12 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

I can take it for this season, but IF we go back up, what worries me is how we are supposed to compete in the Championship without major investment?

You'd like to think that if we manage to clambour back up that he would do all it takes to stop it happening again.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Chuckle. (n/t) on 10:16 - Aug 14 with 4050 viewsBloots

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:15 - Aug 14 by jeera

You'd like to think that if we manage to clambour back up that he would do all it takes to stop it happening again.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Chuckle. (n/t) on 10:18 - Aug 14 with 4038 viewsjeera

Chuckle. (n/t) on 10:16 - Aug 14 by Bloots

Like to think.

Wouldn't you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:20 - Aug 14 with 4023 viewsSteve_M

It's almost like eleven years of a disinterested owner doing the bare minimum each year has an affect on the identity and infrastructure of a football club. What will another five or six years of Evans do to us?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:26 - Aug 14 with 3993 viewsGuthrum

Cyclical innit. Time was when Luton were in the old First Division and we'd been relegated to the second tier. Then they plunged down to non-League and we were above. Now it's swung back somewhat.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:27 - Aug 14 with 3985 viewsRadlett_blue

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:20 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

It's almost like eleven years of a disinterested owner doing the bare minimum each year has an affect on the identity and infrastructure of a football club. What will another five or six years of Evans do to us?

Realistically, the best we can hope for, unless relative funding changes, which is unlikely, is to get back to the 2nd tier and establish ourselves as a "bottom half but won't be relegated" club, a bit like Millwall or Preston.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:39 - Aug 14 with 3939 viewsDubtractor

We should definitely give him a big thank you......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:50 - Aug 14 with 3894 viewsFtnfwest

That's just it, i don't think he's disinterested, he's just not very good at running a football club and seems to refuse to appoint someone who would be.
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:50 - Aug 14 with 3894 viewsWestcountryblue

I just think we've forgot how to win regularly.

We need to go on a winning streak in this division to help individual players and the squad rediscovered their mojo.

We have some good players in our squad.
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:11 - Aug 14 with 3812 viewseddiespearitt03

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:50 - Aug 14 by Westcountryblue

I just think we've forgot how to win regularly.

We need to go on a winning streak in this division to help individual players and the squad rediscovered their mojo.

We have some good players in our squad.

We are now nothing more than a bog-standard League One outfit with good supporters just living in hope. Why would a thousand supporters travel to Luton V Ipswich in a midweek cup game if they did not believe ANY team put out could not compete in a football match ?
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:25 - Aug 14 with 3742 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Luton will be what, a mid-table side at best? And more likely lower half/fighting relegation?

That is the sort we should be finishing ahead of as a bare minimum if we were in the Championship...

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:30 - Aug 14 with 3723 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:26 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

Cyclical innit. Time was when Luton were in the old First Division and we'd been relegated to the second tier. Then they plunged down to non-League and we were above. Now it's swung back somewhat.

That’s not really true though. Luton have been in the top division for 16 seasons in their existence with 10 of those coming during that spell. Indeed the only time they have been a division above us was the latter half of that spell and a short time in the 50’s

In both cases it was very much a case of a Luton purple patch with them punching above their weight, rather than us having fallen

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:34 - Aug 14 with 3700 viewsMach_foreignBlue

But some people are easily pleased because he keeps saying nice words in the statements.
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:45 - Aug 14 with 3665 viewsSteve_M

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:34 - Aug 14 by Mach_foreignBlue

But some people are easily pleased because he keeps saying nice words in the statements.

He's a brilliant owner Mach, we were told that last week.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:46 - Aug 14 with 3657 viewsGuthrum

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:30 - Aug 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s not really true though. Luton have been in the top division for 16 seasons in their existence with 10 of those coming during that spell. Indeed the only time they have been a division above us was the latter half of that spell and a short time in the 50’s

In both cases it was very much a case of a Luton purple patch with them punching above their weight, rather than us having fallen

So they are having something of another purple patch, we haven't fallen that far. Luton are only one division above us, tho that is significant in terms of the funds available and how attractive the club is to potential transfers.

As we have seen several times, doesn't take a lot for someone to get hold of a club, maybe inject some cash, put together a strong team plus decent manager and win a couple of promotions. Allows them to - if only temporarily - outstrip more established, but stagnating, teams (like us).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:51 - Aug 14 with 3637 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 11:46 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

So they are having something of another purple patch, we haven't fallen that far. Luton are only one division above us, tho that is significant in terms of the funds available and how attractive the club is to potential transfers.

As we have seen several times, doesn't take a lot for someone to get hold of a club, maybe inject some cash, put together a strong team plus decent manager and win a couple of promotions. Allows them to - if only temporarily - outstrip more established, but stagnating, teams (like us).

It’s not a purple patch for though - looking at Luton’s league history being a lower tier second division club is about par for the course. The brief periods they have been above us historically were because they were punching well above their weight, now it’s because of us

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 15:01 - Aug 14 with 3373 viewsBluespeed225

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:26 - Aug 14 by Guthrum

And I think are still the only 'non-league' team to knock a Prem club out of the Cup??
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 15:16 - Aug 14 with 3340 viewsHerbivore

When we were a Championship side our resreves frequently lost to lower league sides who were also rotating their line ups. I'm not sure this is the best evidence of our fall from grace.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 15:28 - Aug 14 with 3306 viewsernie

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 10:27 - Aug 14 by Radlett_blue

Realistically, the best we can hope for, unless relative funding changes, which is unlikely, is to get back to the 2nd tier and establish ourselves as a "bottom half but won't be relegated" club, a bit like Millwall or Preston.

Exactly right. A plucky, hard to beat team that make it difficult for the opposition and annually punch above their weight. A bit like...oh hold on a minute
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 16:16 - Aug 14 with 3217 viewsmadmouse1959

By the time Evans walks away there will be no money and little interest in this club.

shampoo dave

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 06:58 - Aug 15 with 2806 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 15:16 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

When we were a Championship side our resreves frequently lost to lower league sides who were also rotating their line ups. I'm not sure this is the best evidence of our fall from grace.

Key bit was the second paragraph...

Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 08:00 - Aug 15 with 2730 viewsBloomBlue

But all the youngsters will have a season under their belts and look how some of the youngsters we've let go improved after playing a full season in the lower league.

It reminds me of when Sir Bob started playing all the youngsters, anyone would think they were all perfect world class from day1, they weren't, with some terrible performances intersecting great performance but by playing they got better learning from their mistakes. But fans need to give them some space and dont rip them apart for those off days and the rewards will come.

We're going up and the youngsters will get better and better
Hit home how far we’ve fallen last night on 08:16 - Aug 15 with 2706 viewscaught-in-limbo

Sad as it is, it's a marked improvement on recent years. Then, if the league positions of Town and Luton had been reversed, the outcome would have been the same, only we'd have needed a replay to get there.

Chins up, people.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024