Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 07:31 - Aug 16 with 3929 viewspennblue

I do hope we do better this time round.

I can remember going to get a pie as soon as the 2nd one went in, by the time I sat back down we were 4-1 down!

Has to go down as the worst Towen performance I have ever since in 25 years!

Complete capitulation!

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:40 - Aug 16 with 3373 viewsSuperblue95

It was so bad that by the time the second half came around it just became quite funny how inept we were

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:47 - Aug 16 with 3335 viewsBlueySwede

Maybe the worst result. Still, the worst game ever with Town for me is QPR at home last year. Absolutely dreadful game.
I remember the Peterbororough game well, stunning strike from Andrews if i remember correctly, but even then it was a poor performance. Individuelly we had a decent team, but together it was shambles.
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:56 - Aug 16 with 3305 viewsSteve_M

It was a freak game, play that again and we would lose by a few goals but not that badly.

Chelsea in the cup was worse, I don't know how that was only seven. Norwich at home and, by most accounts, Swansea away on the April bank holiday weekend were awful.

And to think all of those games were in the space of seven months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:56 - Aug 16 with 3304 viewsMach_foreignBlue

What a harrowing day that was.

Tomorrow will be my 4th visit to Peterborough, the place where I've had one of the biggest footballing horrors of my life. Yes, this is that 1-7 game which stands out. Almost exactly 8 years ago. Paul Taylor has probably had a game of his life for them. 4 goals conceded within 12 first half minutes. An awfulness of the Jewell era. One of many humiliating defeats we had to suffer under him. Apart from Hurst the worst ever Ipswich manager. Utterly useless w***er. That 1-7 defeat followed 2-5 loss to Southampton, 12 goals conceded in 2 games !!! Long journey back home after the game, totally embarrassed.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 7:57]
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:01 - Aug 16 with 3282 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:56 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

It was a freak game, play that again and we would lose by a few goals but not that badly.

Chelsea in the cup was worse, I don't know how that was only seven. Norwich at home and, by most accounts, Swansea away on the April bank holiday weekend were awful.

And yet somehow it’s not even the worst season in living memory

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:04 - Aug 16 with 3279 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Worth pointing out that we have played at Peterborough since - the 0-0 under McCarthy where we largely battered them but couldn’t score, but still a valuable point on our way to safety (and Posh going down)

OP is probably well aware of this but just mentioning as could be read in the context that the 7-1 is the last time we played them, whereas the further away we can get from that game the better

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:12 - Aug 16 with 3242 viewsnsblu1

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:56 - Aug 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

What a harrowing day that was.

Tomorrow will be my 4th visit to Peterborough, the place where I've had one of the biggest footballing horrors of my life. Yes, this is that 1-7 game which stands out. Almost exactly 8 years ago. Paul Taylor has probably had a game of his life for them. 4 goals conceded within 12 first half minutes. An awfulness of the Jewell era. One of many humiliating defeats we had to suffer under him. Apart from Hurst the worst ever Ipswich manager. Utterly useless w***er. That 1-7 defeat followed 2-5 loss to Southampton, 12 goals conceded in 2 games !!! Long journey back home after the game, totally embarrassed.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 7:57]

Not sure what was worse that night, the performance and result or Paul Jewells shirt. He definitely looked like he was dressed for a lads night out that was going to consist of copious pints of Cobra and a selection of fine indian food.
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:15 - Aug 16 with 3223 viewspennblue

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 07:56 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

I quite enjoyed the 7-0 tonking from Chelsea. We expected to lose anyway, and we made a great day out of it!

I just remember the kids asking why we were having a party and the Chelsea fans were silent when we were losing 7-0!

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Login to get fewer ads

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:18 - Aug 16 with 3208 viewsKropotkin123

Millwall away last season. Really rubbish relegation rivals, who had so little going forward. But because we had so little clue of how to do anything with purpose, we lost 3 - 0. Other games, I feel the other team played well or got lucky, this was literally just how bad we were.

The other one that stands out was Arsenal away. We were a complete no show. I got really drunk at a work dinner before the game. We then went to the Emirates and I was cheering Ipswich on in the Arsenal section. Next day, my boss was saying how it was the most noise he'd ever heard in the Arsenal section. But he went on to point out that Ipswich weren't playing in this European fixture, much to the amusement of those around us.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:22 - Aug 16 with 3187 viewsGuthrum

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:01 - Aug 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

And yet somehow it’s not even the worst season in living memory

That season was somewhat saved by the run from the end of January onwards, during which we only lost four games, kicked off by the thumping of West Ham.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:28 - Aug 16 with 3160 viewsJackSted

I remember watching that game on TV with my Grandad. We ended up having 10% possession

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:32 - Aug 16 with 3138 viewsSteve_M

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:22 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

That season was somewhat saved by the run from the end of January onwards, during which we only lost four games, kicked off by the thumping of West Ham.

We had two runs, somehow after losing to Southampton and Peterborough inside five days (aggregate score (3-12) we won five out of six matches. Classic Jewellout, enormously streaky and let him get away with being crap most of the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:34 - Aug 16 with 3128 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 08:22 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

That run started when Jewell replaced Keane - having lost his first game we only lost 4 of the next 17 and had taken 13 points from the 5 games prior to Norwich. There’s a strong argument that for as bad as he was here from that point onwards, he actually saved us that season

A couple of notable posters on here have regularly suggested we should have sacked Jewell for that Norwich game. Given the above run that would have been ludicrous at the time although not with the benefit of hindsight. Just think though, had we have done that there would probably still be arguments about it now!

EDIT: whoops, wrong season. As Steve_M points out in 2012/12 there were two runs - Jewell somehow seemed to have a habit of getting a winning run just when his job was really starting to look in danger, which probably kept him here much longer than he should have been
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 8:45]

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:21 - Aug 16 with 2964 viewsRozeeboy74

The best part of that game was when my mate opened his Kit-Kat Chunky having not realised it was snapped in the middle and the top half bounced down the terracing.
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:24 - Aug 16 with 2952 viewsDyland

In recent memory, the Norwich home game on that Friday night. Abject and depressing.

FFS, COYFB.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:26 - Aug 16 with 2944 viewschicoazul

Remember when Marcus wrote a nice letter a couple of weeks ago and that post about it on here got a million up votes? Yeah.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:28 - Aug 16 with 2939 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:24 - Aug 16 by Dyland

In recent memory, the Norwich home game on that Friday night. Abject and depressing.

FFS, COYFB.

That Norwich game, that Peterborough game plus a few others.....the long list of demoralising, humiliating defeats we had to suffer under Jewell. Yet people claim he ... tried his best
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:30 - Aug 16 with 2928 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:24 - Aug 16 by Dyland

FFS, COYFB.

Yep this

Peterborough was f*cking embarrassing but I’d take 10 of those over getting stuffed 5-1 at home by that lot, let alone under those circumstances too

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:33 - Aug 16 with 2910 viewshatch

I was in the home end for the 7—1 - couldn’t work out if that was better or worse.
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:35 - Aug 16 with 2902 viewsBlueBadger

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:28 - Aug 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

That Norwich game, that Peterborough game plus a few others.....the long list of demoralising, humiliating defeats we had to suffer under Jewell. Yet people claim he ... tried his best

Oh he tried, it's just that he was sh1t, a bit like Vemund Brekke Skard, Toto Nsiala, Jonathan Douglas or Lee Martin. Not as sh1t as Roy or Mini Roy, but sh1t nonetheless.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:41]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:42 - Aug 16 with 2880 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:35 - Aug 16 by BlueBadger

Oh he tried, it's just that he was sh1t, a bit like Vemund Brekke Skard, Toto Nsiala, Jonathan Douglas or Lee Martin. Not as sh1t as Roy or Mini Roy, but sh1t nonetheless.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:41]

You're completely wrong but this debate has been done to death. Jewell had been by far the worst Ipswich manager before Hurst and just because he was 'nice' makes no difference. Keane was poor and failed but we had never been humiliated under him on the pitch.
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:46 - Aug 16 with 2865 viewsBlueBadger

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:42 - Aug 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

You're completely wrong but this debate has been done to death. Jewell had been by far the worst Ipswich manager before Hurst and just because he was 'nice' makes no difference. Keane was poor and failed but we had never been humiliated under him on the pitch.

We were humiliated within weeks of Keane taking charge. Newcastle at home anyone? No wins till October? 'Roy Keane's Ipswich'?
Add to thank, Keane's(and to a lesser extent, Jewell) utter squandering of his transfer budget essentially led to Evans rethinking his whole strategy regarding first team funding. Basically, Keane is the reason we are where we are now.
Jewell was *just* incompetent, Lambert to Keane's Hurst, if you will.

He's very famous and good at pressers though.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:53 - Aug 16 with 2814 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:46 - Aug 16 by BlueBadger

We were humiliated within weeks of Keane taking charge. Newcastle at home anyone? No wins till October? 'Roy Keane's Ipswich'?
Add to thank, Keane's(and to a lesser extent, Jewell) utter squandering of his transfer budget essentially led to Evans rethinking his whole strategy regarding first team funding. Basically, Keane is the reason we are where we are now.
Jewell was *just* incompetent, Lambert to Keane's Hurst, if you will.

He's very famous and good at pressers though.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:53]

Newcastle at home.....ha ha you are just amusing. What about Peterborough, Norwich, Blackpool, Burnley away where the players didn't give a fook? Add to this utter lack of discipline and the pissed parasites on the training pitch in Bullard or Chopra?

Jewell and his transfer policy then? Squandering transfer budget on 30+ players or the likes of Emmanuel-Thomas, Taylor etc etc

No wins till October? Just like Jewell......ooooops sorry Watford away was the solitary one, massive difference eh?

Jewell is the main reason of where are now.

By the way congratulations for not mentioning IMPROVED PERFORMANCES as it would have been 1538th time from you.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:58]
Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 10:03 - Aug 16 with 2763 viewsBlueBadger

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 09:53 - Aug 16 by Mach_foreignBlue

Newcastle at home.....ha ha you are just amusing. What about Peterborough, Norwich, Blackpool, Burnley away where the players didn't give a fook? Add to this utter lack of discipline and the pissed parasites on the training pitch in Bullard or Chopra?

Jewell and his transfer policy then? Squandering transfer budget on 30+ players or the likes of Emmanuel-Thomas, Taylor etc etc

No wins till October? Just like Jewell......ooooops sorry Watford away was the solitary one, massive difference eh?

Jewell is the main reason of where are now.

By the way congratulations for not mentioning IMPROVED PERFORMANCES as it would have been 1538th time from you.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 9:58]

God bless you Mach, you still carry a torch for Roy after all these years.

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 2747 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Posh 7 Ipswich 1 on 10:03 - Aug 16 by BlueBadger

God bless you Mach, you still carry a torch for Roy after all these years.

If by stating the facts that Jewell ruined us means that I carry the torch for Keane then so be it. It's only your weird logic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024