Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peterloo 200 years on 08:39 - Aug 16 with 1846 viewsSteve_M

An event that should be ingrained in the cultural history of this country, it's as important in understanding nineteenth century Britain as much if not more so than Waterloo (where the contribution of Blucher's Prussians is often forgotten).

A thoughtful piece here:

https://www.historytoday.com/archive/feature/memories-massacre

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Peterloo 200 years on on 08:45 - Aug 16 with 1819 viewsGuthrum

Altho I was slightly disappointed by the recent film. Didn't deal adequately with the aftermath and long-term repercussions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Peterloo 200 years on on 08:47 - Aug 16 with 1814 viewsMullet

Some really good stuff has been coming to light in Manchester on this, we made a point of putting it on the curriculum because the locals don’t even know about it in many cases.

If anyone is in and around Manchester the People’s History Museum is worth a visit every time.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Peterloo 200 years on on 08:50 - Aug 16 with 1796 viewssolemio

We are many; they are few.
Peterloo 200 years on on 09:09 - Aug 16 with 1762 viewsSteve_M

Peterloo 200 years on on 08:45 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

Altho I was slightly disappointed by the recent film. Didn't deal adequately with the aftermath and long-term repercussions.

The film was trying far too hard to be worthy but, yes, it ended up focused on the detail.

Here's another piece, by Richard Evans, which does expand very well on the historical context and contemporary significance:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/16/peterloo-massacre-democrat

Peterloo 200 years on on 09:32 - Aug 16 with 1727 viewsmidastouch

Was discussed last night on BBC Newsnight, check out the episode from last night on iPlayer if you fancy.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Peterloo 200 years on on 10:02 - Aug 16 with 1695 viewsfactual_blue

Peterloo 200 years on on 09:09 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

The film was trying far too hard to be worthy but, yes, it ended up focused on the detail.

Here's another piece, by Richard Evans, which does expand very well on the historical context and contemporary significance:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/16/peterloo-massacre-democrat

We've already established Sir Richard Evans is an academic who would have been useless in the trenches, so there's no validity to what he says.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Peterloo 200 years on on 11:22 - Aug 16 with 1638 viewsBluedandy

Ah yes Old Blucher .... the Prussian Field Marshal who made Roy Keane look like a proper pussy cat .... battlefield team talks don't get much better or scarier ...

Peterloo 200 years on on 11:56 - Aug 16 with 1597 viewsLKW15

not only is the prussian contribution forgotten but the fact that only just over a third of wellingtons army at waterloo were actually "British", the majority being a mixture of German, Dutch and Belgian
Login to get fewer ads

Peterloo 200 years on on 11:57 - Aug 16 with 1595 viewsRyorry

Peterloo 200 years on on 08:47 - Aug 16 by Mullet

Some really good stuff has been coming to light in Manchester on this, we made a point of putting it on the curriculum because the locals don’t even know about it in many cases.

If anyone is in and around Manchester the People’s History Museum is worth a visit every time.

That's quite shocking - I wasn't exactly into history at school over half a century ago! but one of the few things that stuck in my memory has been the Peterloo Massacre.

There have also been dozens of programmes on it on BBC radio & TV during the past fortnight, but I suppose not many youngsters (in particular) listen to or watch those platforms these days.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Peterloo 200 years on on 14:08 - Aug 16 with 1528 viewsSteve_M

An odd downvote there.

Anyone on twitter might want to take a look at this: https://twitter.com/Live1819

Peterloo 200 years on on 15:42 - Aug 16 with 1486 viewsOldsmoker

I was completely unaware of this about 10 years ago.
Someone mentioned it in a conversation and I sort of blanked him.
If that had happened I would have heard about it - right?
So I surfed the net and read up about it.
It was more shocking than had been described to me.
Why is it that major change in our society comes about when one side goes over the top and commits an atrocity.
Perhaps Brexit is a modern day atrocity that will force a major societal change.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Peterloo 200 years on on 15:44 - Aug 16 with 1483 viewsBlue_Moses

Am i the only person to click on this link and be disappointed that it wasn't Newman and Baddiel?
Peterloo 200 years on on 22:02 - Aug 16 with 1392 viewsRyorry

Peterloo 200 years on on 14:08 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

An odd downvote there.

Anyone on twitter might want to take a look at this: https://twitter.com/Live1819

Usually sensible poster from what I've seen, error I imagine.

Ta for link.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024