Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing it out from the back 09:12 - Aug 16 with 1915 viewspennblue

I can see we have ditched this now - which is probably a good thing as we were getting ourselves in a lot of trouble.

However, the new tactic seems to be Goalie to Striker.

Have we reverted to Mick Mack tactics?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Playing it out from the back on 09:13 - Aug 16 with 1902 viewschicoazul

Do we have to be one or the other? Can't we do a bit of both as the game develops?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Playing it out from the back on 09:15 - Aug 16 with 1887 viewshomer_123

Playing it out from the back on 09:13 - Aug 16 by chicoazul

Do we have to be one or the other? Can't we do a bit of both as the game develops?

Don't be silly Chico - that's far to progressive thinking.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Playing it out from the back on 09:17 - Aug 16 with 1868 viewsMullet

Bit early to suggest we are going to finish in the playoffs.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Playing it out from the back on 09:44 - Aug 16 with 1757 viewslazyblue

Shame we ever started it as we may have stayed up then.
Playing it out from the back on 10:04 - Aug 16 with 1696 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think we play quite nice football

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Do you mean not getting relegated? (n/t) on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 1695 viewsEEJB

[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 10:06]
Playing it out from the back on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 1691 viewshomer_123

Playing it out from the back on 10:04 - Aug 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think we play quite nice football

At times, we do but therein lies the problem we've had since Hurst and Lambert hasn't been able to solve it.

We play in patches, too short a patches and then we couple that with bad decision making and bad individual mistakes.

Playing it out from the back on 10:06 - Aug 16 with 1683 viewsFixed_It

Really?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Playing it out from the back on 10:17 - Aug 16 with 1656 viewsblueislander

It would be dumb to ignore the option of playing it out from the back if Woolfenden is playing. He has the ability to carry the ball into the opposition midfield, and we can create from there. Playing hoofball with only one striker is crazy, and Norwood is not really a target man.
Playing it out from the back on 10:19 - Aug 16 with 1649 viewsStokieBlue

Playing it out from the back on 10:05 - Aug 16 by homer_123

At times, we do but therein lies the problem we've had since Hurst and Lambert hasn't been able to solve it.

We play in patches, too short a patches and then we couple that with bad decision making and bad individual mistakes.

You are right about individual mistakes and about playing in patches but the superiority in fashioning chances over Sunderland points to the fact there isn't too much wrong.

If that could be extended to a larger percentage of the match then we should be fine. On another day some of those chances would have been converted.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Playing it out from the back on 10:20 - Aug 16 with 1633 viewsTractorCam

What?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Playing it out from the back on 10:28 - Aug 16 with 1599 viewshomer_123

Playing it out from the back on 10:19 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

You are right about individual mistakes and about playing in patches but the superiority in fashioning chances over Sunderland points to the fact there isn't too much wrong.

If that could be extended to a larger percentage of the match then we should be fine. On another day some of those chances would have been converted.

SB

Not sure we created huge amounts of chances against Sunderland - we created a number of opportunities but notably when Judge was on the pitch the final ball meant there were far far less than when we started with Garbutt.

To be honest, last season all we needed to do was extend those patches of decent play and take our chances - that barely improved under Lambert.

You'd think with this squad we should be able to achieve that as this level - early doors but the fact remains we still show signs and remnants of last season.

Playing it out from the back on 15:43 - Aug 16 with 1421 viewshaynes_toe1

We're not playing fantastic fluid passing football but I don't think it really worked when we tried last season anyway.

More importantly, Norwood can actually make something out of long balls played to him and most of our chances created this season have originated from a punt to Norwood.
Playing it out from the back on 16:41 - Aug 16 with 1386 viewsstrikalite

If you keep playing out from the back then the opposition will press high and we all know what can happen from there, unless you're Man City....so you mix it up, it may not look pretty going long but it does get you up the pitch, I know why MM did it, for me too much, but he wanted to always win the second ball going long and build from there..
Playing it out from the back on 16:54 - Aug 16 with 1360 viewsDarth_Koont

Against Burton we were very good at playing it from the back. All really down to Holy mixing it up with huge kicks that kept the Burton back 4 deep or then throwing it short and fast to to our full backs or even midfielders in the space that created.

We didn't see much of that against Sunderland possibly due to the wind not helping the accuracy. But I hope we persevere. The difference from last season's deep-lying tippy-tappy approach to playing it out from the back is that with Holy it looks to be another weapon to get us on the front foot, like his long kicks up to the strikers.

All in all, we look a much better side when we play more direct, simple and mix it up. So yes, a bit like Mick's better and winning teams in that regard.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 16:56]

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024