Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... 14:43 - Aug 16 with 8615 viewsmidastouch

It's sometimes felt like a Game of Loans at Ipswich. Feels almost like we've had more loans than Wonga dished out (at a hefty cost!) during Boy George's (real name - or at least born as - Gideon Osborne) years of harsh austerity!

So anybody want to chip in with some random loans we've had down the years? I expect most will be memorable for all the wrong reasons! We've been blessed with a few good ones (Fraser, Bullard and Lawrence spring to mind immediately) but seems we've had more than our fair share of cast offs!

I'll start with Samassi Abou and Paolo Vernazza!

Sorry if we've been here before but if so I'm afraid I missed out on any prior ITFC Games of Loans / Top Trumps.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 08:57 - Aug 17 with 1210 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 08:24 - Aug 17 by midastouch

Andrew Legg had a monster throw I seem to recall, can't remember too much else about him though to be honest!

Scored a header against Sheff Utd during his spell here.
Then later in the season, was sent off at PR against us when playing for Reading.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:11 - Aug 17 with 1196 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 08:57 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

Scored a header against Sheff Utd during his spell here.
Then later in the season, was sent off at PR against us when playing for Reading.

Your memory is better than mine. Think I might of heard him as a guest before on Radio Suffolk during match day commentary but I'm not 100%.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:36 - Aug 17 with 1182 viewsPhilTWTD

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 02:49 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

The first loanee I can remember was Alan Sunderland circa 1984, who actually signed a permanent deal later on that year.

Other names that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet.

Mark Burchill
Ian Juryeff (prolific at Orient, looked a right carthorse here)
Scott Houghton (really wanted us to sign him)
Jonathan Hunt
John Moncur
Andrew Legg
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 2:51]

The first loan Town ever had was a keeper, Roy Tunks, who came in from Rotherham in the 1973/74 season but didn't play a senior game.
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:41 - Aug 17 with 1174 viewsMoriarty

Alex Henshall
Conor Grant

fka omuircheartaigh

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:48 - Aug 17 with 1166 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 00:18 - Aug 17 by Bassett_Blue

Off on a slight tangent having thought about, we have loaned back a few players that were once good for us but weren't great when they came back. The following spring to mind;

Jason Dozzell
Richard Wright
Kieron Dyer
James Scowcroft

Again, great memories on here. I think I need to eat more walnuts or something! Now you say it, some of it is coming back! I thought Dozzell looked good when we loaned him back. Remember watching us beating Bury 2 nil at home in one of those games when the messiah returned! Think he might of even scored that day. David Johnson (who we later signed) was playing for Bury that day. I think Dozzell's loan got cut short though as rumours circulated that Burley wasn't happy to hear he'd been partying hard one weekend in one of the local clubs, not sure how true that rumour is but I do know his loan did end suddenly (so might of been something in it, couldn't say for certain) which was a shame as he seemed to give us a bit of a lift at the time as we were in the doldrums before he arrived back. I remember the crowd at the game I went to against Bury was very low, possibly something like 10k or slightly less even!
The others though, like you say, we'd already seen the best of all of those.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 9:48]

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:59 - Aug 17 with 1144 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:48 - Aug 17 by midastouch

Again, great memories on here. I think I need to eat more walnuts or something! Now you say it, some of it is coming back! I thought Dozzell looked good when we loaned him back. Remember watching us beating Bury 2 nil at home in one of those games when the messiah returned! Think he might of even scored that day. David Johnson (who we later signed) was playing for Bury that day. I think Dozzell's loan got cut short though as rumours circulated that Burley wasn't happy to hear he'd been partying hard one weekend in one of the local clubs, not sure how true that rumour is but I do know his loan did end suddenly (so might of been something in it, couldn't say for certain) which was a shame as he seemed to give us a bit of a lift at the time as we were in the doldrums before he arrived back. I remember the crowd at the game I went to against Bury was very low, possibly something like 10k or slightly less even!

He did score against Bury. He also scored at Oxford in the League Cup when we went to the dizzy heights of the quarter finals. Aaaah, cup runs. Remember those?

As an aside, Dozzell was STILL ONLY 29 years old when he returned for that loan spell in the autumn of his career. 13 years after his debut.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:07 - Aug 17 with 1136 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:59 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

He did score against Bury. He also scored at Oxford in the League Cup when we went to the dizzy heights of the quarter finals. Aaaah, cup runs. Remember those?

As an aside, Dozzell was STILL ONLY 29 years old when he returned for that loan spell in the autumn of his career. 13 years after his debut.

I do know I was gutted when I learned he'd been sent packing as I was always a big fan of Jason. Don't know what he was like off the pitch but on the pitch he was usually very good for us. And 29 is still a good age for a footballer. When I was 29 I could drink a lot of beer on a Saturday night and still put in a decent shift Sunday morning lol! ;-)
And I do remember Cup runs, but if I don't keep eating the walnuts I might not in a few years from now!

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:11 - Aug 17 with 1128 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:07 - Aug 17 by midastouch

I do know I was gutted when I learned he'd been sent packing as I was always a big fan of Jason. Don't know what he was like off the pitch but on the pitch he was usually very good for us. And 29 is still a good age for a footballer. When I was 29 I could drink a lot of beer on a Saturday night and still put in a decent shift Sunday morning lol! ;-)
And I do remember Cup runs, but if I don't keep eating the walnuts I might not in a few years from now!

His departure to Spurs after that first Premier League season bloody hurt.

Then seeing him celebrate his late goal in front of the North shortly after stung some more.

He copped a fair bit of abuse that day which was sad to see.

From memory, he claimed to be a life long Spurs fan which was interesting considering he said he was a boyhood Chelsea fan in an interview in the matchday programme a few years previous.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 10:12]

Login to get fewer ads

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:13 - Aug 17 with 1119 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:11 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

Then seeing him celebrate his late goal in front of the North shortly after stung some more.

From memory, he claimed to be a life long Spurs fan which was interesting considering he said he was a boyhood Chelsea fan in an interview in the matchday programme a few years previous.

Yeah he got Judas chants that game which was a shame. Think it stung a bit as if I recall his goal levelled the game at 2-2 and we'd been playing some decent stuff. But again I'm not 100% sure, did we draw or did his goal win them the game? If I was a betting man I'd say 2-2 but you seem quite a few brain cells up on me in the memory banks!

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:17 - Aug 17 with 1113 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:11 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

And I'm never quite sure what to make about some of the players that say they've always supported such and such a team as a kid. Robbie Keane said that several times I seem to recall and he's had several more clubs than Cole Skuse has scored goals! He must of been like one of the boys in my lad's football team who was wearing a Spurs shirt last season, but the week after the Champions League final he reported to training in you guessed it, a Liverpool shirt! Glory hunting at its worst!

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:18 - Aug 17 with 1111 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:13 - Aug 17 by midastouch

Yeah he got Judas chants that game which was a shame. Think it stung a bit as if I recall his goal levelled the game at 2-2 and we'd been playing some decent stuff. But again I'm not 100% sure, did we draw or did his goal win them the game? If I was a betting man I'd say 2-2 but you seem quite a few brain cells up on me in the memory banks!

Yep. He equalised in the last minute to make it 2-2. It was a bit of defensive cock up. I think Forrest had come out for the ball, just as Linighan or Whelan maybe toe poked it past Forrest leaving an open goal.

I saw Tony S a week later in the Mulberry Tree who greeted me by asking if I was one of the "c**** giving his brother grief'.

I wasn't by the way. I was at work.

Edit. Found the game here.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 10:21]

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:21 - Aug 17 with 1102 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:18 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

Yep. He equalised in the last minute to make it 2-2. It was a bit of defensive cock up. I think Forrest had come out for the ball, just as Linighan or Whelan maybe toe poked it past Forrest leaving an open goal.

I saw Tony S a week later in the Mulberry Tree who greeted me by asking if I was one of the "c**** giving his brother grief'.

I wasn't by the way. I was at work.

Edit. Found the game here.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 10:21]

I should of known, last minute, we're expert at conceding those! And doesn't matter which era, there will always be at least a few numbskulls in the terraces somewhere or other.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:33 - Aug 17 with 1093 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:21 - Aug 17 by midastouch

I should of known, last minute, we're expert at conceding those! And doesn't matter which era, there will always be at least a few numbskulls in the terraces somewhere or other.

On looking at the video, it would appear it wasn't quite last minute but it was late and it hurt.

We had started that season pretty well. Played some decent football then decided to earn a reputation as the most turgid, negative side in the division.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:44 - Aug 17 with 1083 viewspatrickswell

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:33 - Aug 17 by gainsboroughblue

On looking at the video, it would appear it wasn't quite last minute but it was late and it hurt.

We had started that season pretty well. Played some decent football then decided to earn a reputation as the most turgid, negative side in the division.

Jason’s goal may have been academic in that match if Paul Mason hadn’t missed a sitter earlier in the second half. The whole SKY programme for that match is up on YouTube as well. Jason also got the assist in the draw at White Hart Lane later that season. I mention this purely to say that but for him, we wouldn’t have been relying on Mark Stein’s late goal to save us that season.

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 11:20 - Aug 17 with 1059 viewsmidastouch

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 10:44 - Aug 17 by patrickswell

Jason’s goal may have been academic in that match if Paul Mason hadn’t missed a sitter earlier in the second half. The whole SKY programme for that match is up on YouTube as well. Jason also got the assist in the draw at White Hart Lane later that season. I mention this purely to say that but for him, we wouldn’t have been relying on Mark Stein’s late goal to save us that season.

Paul Mason, there's a name I've not heard in a while. Think I remember him scoring against Manchester United at Portman Road. Might of been 2 up on them at half time with him having scored one of the goals. Then they came back to level it but then Yallop might of nicked the winner. It might of been that one but again not 100%! I listened to that game with a Manchester Utd supporter on the radio and I was a bit cocky at half time and it nearly bit me on the bum but thankfully it had a happy ending. That was until the 9 nil where I got it back in spades! :-(

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 11:50 - Aug 17 with 1040 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 11:20 - Aug 17 by midastouch

Paul Mason, there's a name I've not heard in a while. Think I remember him scoring against Manchester United at Portman Road. Might of been 2 up on them at half time with him having scored one of the goals. Then they came back to level it but then Yallop might of nicked the winner. It might of been that one but again not 100%! I listened to that game with a Manchester Utd supporter on the radio and I was a bit cocky at half time and it nearly bit me on the bum but thankfully it had a happy ending. That was until the 9 nil where I got it back in spades! :-(

Yallop scored against them the season before. Then on the Tuesday, hit a belter at Spurs for another one. (Edit two seasons before)

Mason did get two in the game you allude to though. Sedgely got the winner.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 11:51]

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 12:21 - Aug 17 with 1013 viewsBassett_Blue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 09:48 - Aug 17 by midastouch

I was quite young at the time and assumed his spell back at the club wasn't much of a success due to it being cut short. I only saw him play in one game, Exeter away in the league cup. The only thing I can remember about that day was meeting a guy who had a column in the Green'Un and the way the announcers tried to pronounced Dozzel's and Taricco's names.
The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 16:17 - Aug 17 with 973 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Game of Loans! Random loans from down the years... on 21:35 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

Paul Cooper was actually on loan to us in 1974. It was only a 1 game loan, but I think he was the first.

Was he really? That is earlier than the ones Phil suggested isn't it?

I always thought loans were a more modern thing. I guess there are more now than there were.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024