Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? 17:09 - Aug 17 with 3326 viewsMullet

Is it more of a concern we're not the finished article yet and our play shows it, or is it positive we've cancelled out two potential rivals whilst still finding our feet?

Seems we're going to have a few changes to the line up in the next few games and that will allow Lambert to prove his worth. The youngsters coming through might be a bonus in many ways, if he can show he can coach Flynn, El Mizouni even Dobra as well putting the senior pros into a settled side we'll probably relax a lot more.

Marcus might feel he's more than backed him with KVY, so it's quite possible we don't see anyone come in without offloading Emmanuel/Donacien etc. which seems a difficult ask. Give Sunderland beat Pompey does that give us any better perspective on what looks like a middling start?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:12 - Aug 17 with 2694 viewsitfcjoe

We can't win every game, and this has been a tough start on paper and also when you see how the opponents have fared elsewhere

I worry that I can't see what we are trying to achieve - but we are very much on par for what most fans would have wanted and now need tp kick on in the winnable run of games coming up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:13 - Aug 17 with 2671 viewsBluefish

Before the game I said a win would be a really good start to the season, a defeat would be a disappointing start but a draw is meh

Not much to add really

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:14 - Aug 17 with 2620 viewsNthsuffolkblue

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:12 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

We can't win every game, and this has been a tough start on paper and also when you see how the opponents have fared elsewhere

I worry that I can't see what we are trying to achieve - but we are very much on par for what most fans would have wanted and now need tp kick on in the winnable run of games coming up

Indeed. It is important we win most of the games we should win rather than those against other promotion rivals.

If we regularly fail to win against the lower teams we will struggle. The odd slip-up will happen but we need to win a good amount of those games.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:15 - Aug 17 with 2608 viewscaught-in-limbo

Most competitive league in the world, innit?

#CrazyLeague
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 17:22]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:16 - Aug 17 with 2592 viewsMullet

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:12 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I'd have taken it before the start of the season, with those games coming up this month which makes me think we could stay unbeaten for a while yet.

My big concern is the lack of cohesion. We are probably a striker light still, going to have to ease in injured ones, and Norwood has had a bumpy start. Jackson has deserved two penalties in two games though, which makes me think he might be just as useful out wide in this league.

Given the goal Sunderland scored from a corner makes me think that set pieces will define our season too. If we can work those right like when Smith and Berra kept scoring we could do very well even when we play badly.

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:17 - Aug 17 with 2577 viewspointofblue

I'd say five points is a more than acceptable start if you take into account the win at home, draw away mantra and the standard of the teams we've played - one who should be in the top half come the end of the season, two in the top six, possibly fighting for automatic promotion.

Any changes will be a challenge as we now have a run of games where wins will be expected - Wimbledon, Bolton (unless they get taken over and bring in League One standard players), Shrewsbury, Rochdale, Doncaster... the expectation will now be growing. Arguably there's no reason we shouldn't pick up 15 out of 15 from the next five.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:19 - Aug 17 with 2526 viewsFPL_Tractor

Three games against teams likely to be up there, not bad. But now we have a run of games where we should be looking to get a good run going.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:20 - Aug 17 with 2517 viewsjudespiveyg

5 points gained from these fixtures. Were we to get 5 from 9 in the next 3 I'd see them as 4 points dropped.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:21 - Aug 17 with 2495 viewsbilllm

For me I'd have took a point today, I had us down for 7 points out of these 3 games, 2 points dropped last week and gave them a foothold in the league,
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:21 - Aug 17 with 2489 viewsNthsuffolkblue

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:17 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

I'd say five points is a more than acceptable start if you take into account the win at home, draw away mantra and the standard of the teams we've played - one who should be in the top half come the end of the season, two in the top six, possibly fighting for automatic promotion.

Any changes will be a challenge as we now have a run of games where wins will be expected - Wimbledon, Bolton (unless they get taken over and bring in League One standard players), Shrewsbury, Rochdale, Doncaster... the expectation will now be growing. Arguably there's no reason we shouldn't pick up 15 out of 15 from the next five.

Indeed. 10 from 15 should be acceptable but we certainly need to be winning at least 3 of the next 5 games. Go on a 5 match winning run and even the moaners would be struggling to be negative.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:23 - Aug 17 with 2468 viewspointofblue

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:20 - Aug 17 by judespiveyg

5 points gained from these fixtures. Were we to get 5 from 9 in the next 3 I'd see them as 4 points dropped.

Maybe one point gained from the opening three - you could argue a draw against Burton, defeat of Sunderland and beaten at Peterborough would be an average start. Certainly we shouldn't go into many matches this season expecting nothing from a game (of those left, perhaps Portsmouth and Sunderland away).

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:27 - Aug 17 with 2417 viewsBent_double

My concern is that we're not bossing these games, not able to hold a lead against Sunderland (when we should have been 2,3-nil up anyway) and P'boro.

With the players we have we should be holding onto leads, but we're still not strong enough physically and mentally to do that.

Yes, they were all 'tricky' games, and we're the new boys in this league - every other team wants to shoot us down, but now's the time to go on a winning run, nothing else will do for the next 3-4 games.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:30 - Aug 17 with 2397 viewsCoastalblue

Lambert has to do something to sort out the back line, and I know he's trying but we still look terrible at the back.

Whether it's as individuals or as a unit we just don't look anywhere near good enough and can't see us keeping many if any more clean sheets.

The only one out of that lot I think looks in place is Wolfie, hopefully the new full back will be a major upfrade but we need to do the same the other side.

I can't believe I'm praying for Toto to come back. Not even convinced by Holy at the moment.

If we can find some solidity at the back then we have enough about us elsewhere to be up their imo.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:55 - Aug 17 with 2296 viewsBloomBlue

You aren't going to be the finished article after only 3 games, it's not a computer game this is real life it takes time.
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:06 - Aug 17 with 2247 viewsBent_double

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 17:55 - Aug 17 by BloomBlue

You aren't going to be the finished article after only 3 games, it's not a computer game this is real life it takes time.

Yet Blackpool, who were a bit of a mess last season, seem to have hit the ground running with 3 wins from 3.

Not saying that they're going to storm the league, or that we're not going to go on a winning run in the next few games, but it would make a nice change to see us running away with it at the top of the league for a change.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:12 - Aug 17 with 2208 viewspointofblue

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:06 - Aug 17 by Bent_double

Yet Blackpool, who were a bit of a mess last season, seem to have hit the ground running with 3 wins from 3.

Not saying that they're going to storm the league, or that we're not going to go on a winning run in the next few games, but it would make a nice change to see us running away with it at the top of the league for a change.

Blackpool have added impetus from the Oyston's being forced out of the club - Bloomfield Road must feel completely different and it's fed through to the pitch.

Looking at the teams above us and the starts they've faced:
Lincoln - Accrington (H), Rotherham (A), Southend (H) - 9 points
Blackpool - Bristol Rovers (H), Southend (A), Oxford (H) - 9 points
Wycombe - Bolton (H), Bristol Rovers (A), MK Dons (H) - 7 points
Coventry - Southend (H), Bolton (A), Bristol Rovers (H) - 7 points
Fleetwood - Peterborough (A), Wimbledon (H), Doncaster (A) - 6 points
Rotherham - Wimbledon (A), Lincoln (H), Burton (A) - 6 points
Doncaster - Gillingham (H), Rochdale (A), Fleetwood (H) - 5 points; ahead on goals scored

We have had a tougher start than any of them.

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:20 - Aug 17 with 2165 viewsTractorWood

I think we look pretty naïve. Seem to be electric in the first 15 minutes then fade to dross. Teams seem to give us respect but might not continue.

Ultimately need to smash someone soon to tell the league we mean business.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:30 - Aug 17 with 2111 viewsBudapestByBlimp

5 points from 2 away games and 1 home - Mick would have been happy with that - and so am I. Defence is still a problem, we're unable to prevent crosses coming in and have difficulty dealing with them when they arrive. Maybe KVY will help address this (I've not seen him play).

Agree we're probably short of a striker - thought Jackson played well today, lots of effort and caused them a few problems, but look forward to seeing Sears partner Norwood (I know it's still months away); I think he reads the game better and has quicker speed of thought. Think we're solid enough down the centre but both our flanks look weak since Garbutt's injury.
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:34 - Aug 17 with 2089 viewsBloomBlue

But no team is going to be running away with it after only 3 games.
It's a marathon not a sprint.

We've had 2 away games and 1 home game against 3 teams which most football experts are predicting will be fighting for a top 6 place and we haven't lost I think that's an excellent start.
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:40 - Aug 17 with 2061 viewsreusersfreekicks

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:34 - Aug 17 by BloomBlue

But no team is going to be running away with it after only 3 games.
It's a marathon not a sprint.

We've had 2 away games and 1 home game against 3 teams which most football experts are predicting will be fighting for a top 6 place and we haven't lost I think that's an excellent start.

Where did Peterborough finish last season?
5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:42 - Aug 17 with 2043 viewsMullet

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:12 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Blackpool have added impetus from the Oyston's being forced out of the club - Bloomfield Road must feel completely different and it's fed through to the pitch.

Looking at the teams above us and the starts they've faced:
Lincoln - Accrington (H), Rotherham (A), Southend (H) - 9 points
Blackpool - Bristol Rovers (H), Southend (A), Oxford (H) - 9 points
Wycombe - Bolton (H), Bristol Rovers (A), MK Dons (H) - 7 points
Coventry - Southend (H), Bolton (A), Bristol Rovers (H) - 7 points
Fleetwood - Peterborough (A), Wimbledon (H), Doncaster (A) - 6 points
Rotherham - Wimbledon (A), Lincoln (H), Burton (A) - 6 points
Doncaster - Gillingham (H), Rochdale (A), Fleetwood (H) - 5 points; ahead on goals scored

We have had a tougher start than any of them.

But people are heralding (rightly so) our attendances this season, and the "we've got our club back" mantra.

It's not really any different given the way in which people got it so wrong about Mick, and the resulting relegation that's put us here. The last 12 months have wreaked havoc on what was a far more fragile and underfunded club than people maybe realised or wanted to face up to.

This season we've packed out PR and taken the highest away numbers both weeks in this league and it's up there with anyone else in the 92 in terms of capacity. I don't think the answer lies in the stands at all.

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 19:04 - Aug 17 with 1989 viewsStokieBlue

It's 3 matches.

It's not enough of a sample size to draw any conclusions, especially given the injuries so why are we trying to?

For what's it's worth, I'm buoyed by the start. We are unbeaten, we've played 3 teams who will be up in and around the top 6 at the end of the season and we have a lot of players who aren't even available to us at the moment yet we've held our own against the best the division has to offer.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me but there is no fun in that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 19:22 - Aug 17 with 1936 viewsGuthrum

We've shown the team has the ability to score both early and late. It's keeping up the impetus in the middle part of the game which is proving more difficult.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 19:40 - Aug 17 with 1882 viewsGuthrum

Blackpool so far have played Bristol Rovers, Southend and Oxford, two of those being the bottom non-Bolton/Bury teams in the division.

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 19:41 - Aug 17 with 1870 viewsGuthrum

5 from 9 or simply 4 points dropped? on 18:40 - Aug 17 by reusersfreekicks

Where did Peterborough finish last season?

7th and have spent a lot (for this division) over the summer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024