Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... 19:53 - Aug 17 with 3358 viewsReuser_is_God

With 3 easier games remaining in August so you’d like to think that’ll be a minimum of 7 points if not 9.

I think that would go down as an excellent start to the season.

Not all is perfect though & we seem to be struggling a bit to find any real structure to our play & Lambert doesn’t seem to know how best side/formation.

For me we need Judge match fit & playing as a 10 but that would mean breaking the Norwood/Jackson partnership which is doing well. You could go diamond midfield & keep the top 2 but our full backs are poor so that’s bit of a non starter. Fcuk knows really but considering no one really knows our best team/formation we’re doing okay!

Big game Tuesday.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:55 - Aug 17 with 2357 viewssparks

I think it is time to look beyond Judge, unless he can show some real touch and form in training or in the U23s. He has been persistently poor.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:57 - Aug 17 with 2346 viewspointofblue

Unless Bolton get taken over and bring a few players in then two massive games this week - should be six out of six and anything less will definitely be points dropped.

Wimbledon will be an interesting match as I sense they may be the first team we've played this season to place eleven men behind the ball and ask us to break them down. It's the first league game this season which might feel like a cup tie rather than a league match with them raising their game, as the three we've played already have faced us at a higher level. But we should expect a win.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:57 - Aug 17 with 2345 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:55 - Aug 17 by sparks

I think it is time to look beyond Judge, unless he can show some real touch and form in training or in the U23s. He has been persistently poor.

Think that’s harsh.

He was poor last week & I wasn’t there this week so unsure. However people who were at the Burton & Cambridge games said we improved massively when he came on in both.

The current system just does not suit him.

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:58 - Aug 17 with 2331 viewsSomethingBlue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:55 - Aug 17 by sparks

He's not been "poor" - let's not escalate our language unnecessarily.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:59 - Aug 17 with 2325 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:57 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Unless Bolton get taken over and bring a few players in then two massive games this week - should be six out of six and anything less will definitely be points dropped.

Wimbledon will be an interesting match as I sense they may be the first team we've played this season to place eleven men behind the ball and ask us to break them down. It's the first league game this season which might feel like a cup tie rather than a league match with them raising their game, as the three we've played already have faced us at a higher level. But we should expect a win.

Agreed.

With that in mind I wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfield containing Huws & Judge.

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:59 - Aug 17 with 2316 viewspointofblue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:57 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

Think that’s harsh.

He was poor last week & I wasn’t there this week so unsure. However people who were at the Burton & Cambridge games said we improved massively when he came on in both.

He played in his preferred position at Luton and did nothing, albeit with a weak team around him. He certainly shouldn't be playing on the left and I wish Lambert would stop persisting with it. I sense he might start there against Wimbledon as I doubt Edwards will start a third game on the bounce coming back from injury.

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:03 - Aug 17 with 2287 viewspointofblue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:59 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

Agreed.

With that in mind I wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfield containing Huws & Judge.

A Huws, Dozzell, Judge midfield lacked bite and got overrun at Luton. I think Skuse or Downes might be needed for that purpose.

The issue is Judge's best position is at number ten but do we want to drop Norwood or Jackson to accommodate him?

I'd say the diamond may suit with Skuse at the base, Downes and Huws in the middle with Judge at the tip but that'd leave our full backs horribly exposed and they're our weak points at the moment.

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:04 - Aug 17 with 2291 viewsITFC_Forever

When I was going through August’s fixtures, I had us down for the results we have had so far - Burton win and Sunderland and Peterborough draws.

So as expected so far... and as others have said we “should” take 9 points from 9 from the remaining games this month.
Even if Bolton’s take-over goes through, then they may make a number of signings - but they will be a bunch of strangers, with no real pre-season and probably poor quality generally, as they’ll be the dregs no-one else has signed.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:06 - Aug 17 with 2277 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:03 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

A Huws, Dozzell, Judge midfield lacked bite and got overrun at Luton. I think Skuse or Downes might be needed for that purpose.

The issue is Judge's best position is at number ten but do we want to drop Norwood or Jackson to accommodate him?

I'd say the diamond may suit with Skuse at the base, Downes and Huws in the middle with Judge at the tip but that'd leave our full backs horribly exposed and they're our weak points at the moment.

Said that re the diamond in my OP.

So many questions that no one really knows the answers too!

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:11 - Aug 17 with 2257 viewspointofblue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:06 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

Said that re the diamond in my OP.

So many questions that no one really knows the answers too!

Strengthen the full back positions and the diamond may be the way forward - except we then wouldn't be able to accommodate Garbutt when he returns!

The other possibility is a back three once Nsiala returns, with Vincent-Young and Garbutt as wing backs, a mixture of Skuse, Downes, Huws and Judge in the middle with a front two playing off them. Certainly don't have the players to try that at the moment!

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:14 - Aug 17 with 2240 viewshomer_123

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:58 - Aug 17 by SomethingBlue

He been ineffective.

Last Saturday his inability to play in position cost us our shape. That would ok if he created chances or scored....list all of his games last season he didnt.

He should be awesome at this level...he should be very good in the league above. Sadly hes not been.

Hes been ineffective.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:22 - Aug 17 with 2196 viewshaynes_toe1

Points return is good, dont see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Admittedly the lack of a coherent and obvious playing style is disappointing as Lambert has had long enough for this to be clearer but if we keep getting results no one will care.
5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:26 - Aug 17 with 2179 viewssparks

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:57 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

Think that’s harsh.

He wants and accepts the ball- making us look more joined up. But from there, he has achieved absolutely nothing. Completely wasteful.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:29 - Aug 17 with 2167 viewssparks

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 19:58 - Aug 17 by SomethingBlue

I maintain he has been poor.

He looked comfortable ont he ball last season, but failed to make it count.

This season is much the same. It is early and he is understandably short of sharpness, but it is incredibly frustrating to see him so repeatedly wasteful with good posssession. Passes nowhere near target, shots from 40 yards over the bar. I am unconvinced, currently, that he is going to be the player we think he used to be.

And his roaming compromises other players and positions. You can deal with that if he brings enough to the party.

So far, he has not even brought a 4 pack of Fosters.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 20:30]

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:18 - Aug 17 with 2077 viewsBlueBadger

23 games, no assists, no goals. From someone who was billed as being the answer to our problems with midfield creativity.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:24 - Aug 17 with 2050 viewsOldTimer2

He is clearly not at his best, his touch has been fairly poor and a lot of his set pieces have not been good. Hopefully that will come with game time, it is clearly frustrating him. Think our problem is that we cannot play him and Norwood/Jackson.

Bobby Robson - thank you

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:32 - Aug 17 with 2031 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 20:14 - Aug 17 by homer_123

He been ineffective.

Last Saturday his inability to play in position cost us our shape. That would ok if he created chances or scored....list all of his games last season he didnt.

He should be awesome at this level...he should be very good in the league above. Sadly hes not been.

Hes been ineffective.

He’s played very few minutes & the majority of which have been out of position.

Let’s give him a bit more time before we slate him.

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:34 - Aug 17 with 2020 viewsjas0999

Excellent? Throwing away two leads. Not for me. Certainly above average, but not excellent. Nine would have been excellent. 7 good.

But if we get another nine out of nine we could be looking at very good.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:35]
5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:39 - Aug 17 with 1996 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:34 - Aug 17 by jas0999

Excellent? Throwing away two leads. Not for me. Certainly above average, but not excellent. Nine would have been excellent. 7 good.

But if we get another nine out of nine we could be looking at very good.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:35]

I said it would be an excellent start if we win our 3 remaining August fixtures.

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:44 - Aug 17 with 1968 viewsMrTown

right now he doesn't fit into the system.

He would be very good at the point of a diamond, but our full backs are our weakest area and to leave them exposed would be strange.

Other alternative could be to have KVY and Garbutt as full backs in a diamond.

Or 4-2-3-1 and break the partnership at the top, but we would have to certainly have a different approach to games, can't be as long ball as we were today with just Norwood up top.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:48 - Aug 17 with 1957 viewspointofblue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:32 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

He’s played very few minutes & the majority of which have been out of position.

Let’s give him a bit more time before we slate him.

Across last season and this Judge has played more minutes for us than Roberts. I only say this because I think you've already passed judgement on the latter.

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:48 - Aug 17 with 1948 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:48 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Across last season and this Judge has played more minutes for us than Roberts. I only say this because I think you've already passed judgement on the latter.

I’m only judging Judge on this season.

Evans out

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:52 - Aug 17 with 1926 viewspointofblue

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:48 - Aug 17 by Reuser_is_God

I’m only judging Judge on this season.

Minutes this season:
Judge - 155 (77 in the EFL Cup)
Roberts - 91 (90 of them in the EFL Cup)

Just on Roberts how much have we seen him in his preferred position of left wing? From memory, Lambert has used him as an emergency striker. As I said elsewhere, I'd prefer him out on the left rather than Judge.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:58]

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 22:08 - Aug 17 with 1879 viewsOldTimer2

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:52 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Minutes this season:

Just on Roberts how much have we seen him in his preferred position of left wing? From memory, Lambert has used him as an emergency striker. As I said elsewhere, I'd prefer him out on the left rather than Judge.

On the basis that Lambert has rarely played him there, I think it fair to assume that he does not rate him in that position. Sign another striker and suspect he will be gone

Bobby Robson - thank you

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 22:10 - Aug 17 with 1873 viewsReuser_is_God

5 points from 3 of the tougher games on paper this season.... on 21:52 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Minutes this season:

Yeah, I think that’s a fair shout in all honesty.

I’d like to see Roberts given a go as one of the wide men in a 433.

Reality is though he’s not good enough.

Evans out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024