Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 21:51 - Aug 17 with 4634 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Dear dear ! Football is a funny old game. We felt robbed against Sunderland last week whereas today it's our opponents in Peterborough who are robbed as we never deserved a point.

This game has been a reality check for all those who claim our squad is good enough for the top 6. Only first 15 minutes were quite impressive from us. The second half in particular was very irritating however the lack of quality was very telling.
No wonder Lambert claims that he needs more players as we aren't strong enough in some areas.

All over them in the first 15 minutes. Quite a good spell rewarded by the Norwood's goal and that was followed by deflected Edwards' shot which was impressively tipped over the bar by Pym.

We allowed Peterborough to come back into the game instead of continuing our good spell. Very poor marking from Maddison's free-kick delivery led to their equaliser. An easy header.

Second half. Dear me ! To put it nicely it was unacceptable. Lack of quality and lack of ideas. Every time Peterborough was in our box would see a danger. The defence was bad and disorganised. Holy's incredible save from close-range in 50 min delayed inevitable and Eisa's goal followed soon.

Quick chance to come back into the game but Norwood's lame penalty was easily saved by Pym.

After that Peterborough were content to sit back and withstand our poor deliveries and pointless long balls. Given how some rave about the quality of our team I'd have expected our midfield and strikers to get into Peterborough's box as easily as they did into ours after the break. Ipswich Town looking poor and clueless in the 3rd tier, that's the new, sad reality nowadays.

Alan Judge came on to replace Edwards. What on earth is going on with him? Is he sulking over not having had a chance to speak to Queens Park? We were in trouble, we needed some spark and injection and you would have expected that from player of his ilk. However what we got from him was mostly pointless deliveries into the box easily dealt with by Peterborough's defence. He could have done much better had he looked for his teammates. Very, very disappointing.

We got an injury-time equaliser which we never deserved given our abject second half performance. Chambers has redeemed himself and his last week's sin and turned out to be a hero. What is really worth underlining is the fact that it came from El Mizouni's dead ball delivery.

A bit of overreaction from some of our fans as they celebrated a late equalizer in the 3rd Division as if we won a cup or something.
There was a strong argument and almost a fight where I stood during the second half between some angry fan and one from 'get behind the team' brigade.

The positives from today is that the unbeaten league run continues and Chambers saving the day. A couple of decisive interceptions from Skuse, a few nice passes from Downes. The problem for the latter was lack of support particularly from full-backs. Both Kenlock and Donacien barely offered any threat when going forward.

So far my pre-season concerns and worries are turning out to be right, sadly. The defence may become our undoing and this squad badly need a better quality. Lambert knows that hence his latest comments.
We should expect beating Wimbledon and Bolton kids but in my opinion it will paper over the cracks as we need a quality. Judge complete disappointment so far, Huws not able to get fit for almost 2 years, ridiclously overrated Dozzell can't get a league game, Jackson's solitary attribute is pace therefore we badly need a striker.

Now the hope is that Vincent-Young turns out to be an instant improvement on Donacien and we don't drop points in the next 'winnable' 2 games. Fantastic support today but in terms of football the day to forget.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:53]
Match thoughts on 09:13 - Aug 18 with 643 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 08:57 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

Downes did ok but was miles off Skuse. I wonder what it would take for you to accept/admit how good Skuse was/is.

You asked me a question and you got an answer so why are you behaving like a spoiled child? If you had asked me about stand out performers the answer would have been different. But you asked me about my MOTM.
Match thoughts on 09:20 - Aug 18 with 623 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 09:13 - Aug 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

You asked me a question and you got an answer so why are you behaving like a spoiled child? If you had asked me about stand out performers the answer would have been different. But you asked me about my MOTM.

I wanted to test if you could actually be objective or not, I got my answer

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 09:22 - Aug 18 with 617 viewsReuser_is_God

Match thoughts on 08:25 - Aug 18 by SomethingBlue

Was it a reality check though? We've not played well but we've drawn away at one of the division's better sides. If anything it suggests to me that, once we get fitter and better, we're pretty likely to be OK.

Well quite.

I always thought getting a point away from home against a good side whilst not playing well is sign of a good team?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Match thoughts on 09:23 - Aug 18 with 616 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 09:20 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

I wanted to test if you could actually be objective or not, I got my answer

I was objective and you got an answer. Whichever way you take this it doesn't bother me.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 9:24]
Match thoughts on 09:36 - Aug 18 with 601 viewsWestcountryblue

Match thoughts on 08:33 - Aug 18 by boysof1981

Agree with Huws and Judge, but I think Dozzell will never make it. Been given enough chances and never takes them. Hope I’m wrong though with regards to Andre, tbh if a bid came in for him in January I’d like to see him sold.

I can see Andre maybe being involved in our next 2 games. He's only 20 and has a pretty rough time of things over the last couple of years. Definitely worth sticking with as there is a player in there for sure.

For me, Jackson drops to the bench and Skuse has a rest. With Judge and Huws coming into the side in 4-5-1. Wimbledon are likely to park the bus and we'll need a bit of guile.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 9:47]
Match thoughts on 11:52 - Aug 18 with 560 viewsHerbivore

Match thoughts on 08:25 - Aug 18 by SomethingBlue

Was it a reality check though? We've not played well but we've drawn away at one of the division's better sides. If anything it suggests to me that, once we get fitter and better, we're pretty likely to be OK.

Indeed. I'm not sure a draw at Peterborough when we haven't been at our best is good evidence that we won't reach the top 6.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Match thoughts on 12:10 - Aug 18 with 541 viewsbilllm

Match thoughts on 22:52 - Aug 17 by mrshallisfit

Dozzell. His time will come. Ermmmmmm...

Mega overrated
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024