Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could be a McGrath moment? 12:22 - Aug 18 with 3097 viewsCoastalblue

Smith out of the rest of this game, and could well miss the next Test, I think with the introduction of Archer the pendulum could have swung for England for the next test if Smith doesn't play?

He's been the difference so far, I think we're marginally better than them without him.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:24 - Aug 18 with 2567 viewsgainsboroughblue

Just hearing that Aus could be allowed a replacement that could bat in Smith's place in THIS test?

Never knew that was a thing.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:24 - Aug 18 with 2563 viewsAce_High1

Still will be close.

Their attack is very good and we haven't even seen Starc yet who will worry our batsmen.

If he is out of next game, we must not lose this one. If its goes 2-0 then we will not come back.
Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:25 - Aug 18 with 2556 viewsAce_High1

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:24 - Aug 18 by gainsboroughblue

Just hearing that Aus could be allowed a replacement that could bat in Smith's place in THIS test?

Concussion replacement, recent rule change.

Regardless they won't be in Smith's class but I don't think it will make much difference to this test which is surely going to be draw?
Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:25 - Aug 18 with 2551 viewsReuser_is_God

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:24 - Aug 18 by gainsboroughblue

Yeah, a concussion substitute.

It’s a new thing.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:27 - Aug 18 with 2534 viewsgainsboroughblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:25 - Aug 18 by Ace_High1

Concussion replacement, recent rule change.

Regardless they won't be in Smith's class but I don't think it will make much difference to this test which is surely going to be draw?

Don't want to jinx anything but the next hour will probably decide the next five.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:37 - Aug 18 with 2480 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I think the "McGrath moment" was the loss of Anderson during the early stages at Edgbaston. Unfortunately the tables are turned and it is England's loss.

With regards to Smith... I hope he is fit and well for Thursday.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:39 - Aug 18 with 2476 viewsgainsboroughblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:37 - Aug 18 by Tangledupin_Blue

I think the "McGrath moment" was the loss of Anderson during the early stages at Edgbaston. Unfortunately the tables are turned and it is England's loss.

With regards to Smith... I hope he is fit and well for Thursday.

Sounds weird in terms of our best chance of getting anything from this series but so do I.

The Smith-Archer battle has been the best thing about this series so far by a million miles.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 12:39]

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:40 - Aug 18 with 2469 viewsjudespiveyg

So Australia are allowed to use a sub for their best batsman but we weren't allowed to sub our injured best bowler. I'm all for concussion subs in the name of safety but it does seem a bit inconsistent with every other injury where you have to play with ten.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:42 - Aug 18 with 2456 viewsAce_High1

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:40 - Aug 18 by judespiveyg

So Australia are allowed to use a sub for their best batsman but we weren't allowed to sub our injured best bowler. I'm all for concussion subs in the name of safety but it does seem a bit inconsistent with every other injury where you have to play with ten.

Anderson came into the game with the injury though so they are trying to discourage that. If every team got a sub you would get half fit players turning up for a few overs to see if they could make it through.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 12:42]
Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:42 - Aug 18 with 2456 viewsBluefish

Some answers needed. He clearly has concussion yet was allowed to return to the crease yesterday

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:43 - Aug 18 with 2448 viewsgainsboroughblue

The DRS system could save a bit of time in future checking if a right arm over to a leftie has pitched outside leg stump before anything else.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:44 - Aug 18 with 2435 viewsitfcjoe

The difference is Smith could come out and bat with his concussion f he wanted to and would likely not feel many ill effects but potentially be doing serious damage

ANderson couldn't continue

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:45 - Aug 18 with 2422 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It is to prevent players from 'bravely soldiering on' following a concussion injury and was brought in after extensive consultations following the death of Philip Hughes. I Andersen had sustained a concussion injury then, subject to the concussion protocol, he would have been allowed a sub.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:46 - Aug 18 with 2418 viewsgainsboroughblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:44 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

The difference is Smith could come out and bat with his concussion f he wanted to and would likely not feel many ill effects but potentially be doing serious damage

ANderson couldn't continue

I think in terms of player safety and all that has happened before (Hughes), a forced substitution would negate those incidents where a player would feel he had to continue, even if the player who replaces him would have to bat 11.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:50 - Aug 18 with 2406 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:42 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

Some answers needed. He clearly has concussion yet was allowed to return to the crease yesterday

He reported this morning that he had slept well but awoke with headache. The Aussies carried out the protocol and found symptoms consistent with concussion.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:50 - Aug 18 with 2400 viewsgainsboroughblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:50 - Aug 18 by Tangledupin_Blue

He reported this morning that he had slept well but awoke with headache. The Aussies carried out the protocol and found symptoms consistent with concussion.

I think I would sleep well after being whacked on the head by a cricket ball travelling at 95mph.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:51 - Aug 18 with 2390 viewsReuser_is_God

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:42 - Aug 18 by Bluefish

A “delayed concussion” is the official line.

Felt fine until he woke up this morning.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 2337 viewsitfcjoe

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:46 - Aug 18 by gainsboroughblue

I think in terms of player safety and all that has happened before (Hughes), a forced substitution would negate those incidents where a player would feel he had to continue, even if the player who replaces him would have to bat 11.

It should happen in football - a 'free' substitution to use if a player is concussed

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:02 - Aug 18 with 2313 viewsdavblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:50 - Aug 18 by gainsboroughblue

I think I would sleep well after being whacked on the head by a cricket ball travelling at 95mph.

92mph
Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:06 - Aug 18 with 2301 viewsNthQldITFC

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:59 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

It should happen in football - a 'free' substitution to use if a player is concussed

Happens in rugby league, and you do tend to get one or two slightly meaty collisions in that game!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:09 - Aug 18 with 2287 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 12:59 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

Concussion can be immediate following a blow but other times may take hours, or even days, to develop.

I would remove the word 'concussed' from your suggestion and allow the sub for any bang on the head. Also that it is not for the player to decide - rather he is told that he must not continue.

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:12 - Aug 18 with 2276 viewsfactual_blue

What I found astonishing is that Langer - the Aussie coach - 'didn't know' that Smith's helmet was 'illegal' and that Smith wasn't therefore insured. TMS immediately commented on this.

Smith sounds a bit OCD though, and doesn't like shoelaces that are visible in his boots.

Probably explains his ferocious powers of concentration.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:12 - Aug 18 with 2270 viewsitfcjoe

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:09 - Aug 18 by Tangledupin_Blue

Concussion can be immediate following a blow but other times may take hours, or even days, to develop.

I would remove the word 'concussed' from your suggestion and allow the sub for any bang on the head. Also that it is not for the player to decide - rather he is told that he must not continue.

Agree, if a player is knocked cold then they should be out of the game without doubt with no punishment to the team like one of your 3 used subs gone.

And other head injuries as decided by a neutral Dr

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:35 - Aug 18 with 2233 viewspointofblue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:12 - Aug 18 by factual_blue

What I found astonishing is that Langer - the Aussie coach - 'didn't know' that Smith's helmet was 'illegal' and that Smith wasn't therefore insured. TMS immediately commented on this.

Smith sounds a bit OCD though, and doesn't like shoelaces that are visible in his boots.

Probably explains his ferocious powers of concentration.

I didn't think Smith's helmet was illegal? It's up to the individual batter whether they want a neck guard?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:44 - Aug 18 with 2200 viewsfactual_blue

Could be a McGrath moment? on 13:35 - Aug 18 by pointofblue

I didn't think Smith's helmet was illegal? It's up to the individual batter whether they want a neck guard?

Not 'illegal' - which is why I put the word in inverted commas. TMS were quite clear that the helmet was unacceptable to sports insurers. This came in as a consequence of the recent death.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024