Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) 12:43 - Aug 18 with 4780 viewspointofblue

Just read that Reading spent over £7m on George Puscas, who has scored twice for them today. That's Reading, who finished seven points above the drop last season.

Even if we do manage to get promoted we have very little chance with that kind of investment elsewhere.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 12:51 - Aug 18 with 4714 viewsIllinoisblue

They joined the “we sold our stadium for a not at all inflated price” club to raise funds i believe. But yes, even if we do go up, we’ll struggle to be top half given our lack of investment

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 12:55 - Aug 18 with 4686 viewsgainsboroughblue

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 12:51 - Aug 18 by Illinoisblue

They joined the “we sold our stadium for a not at all inflated price” club to raise funds i believe. But yes, even if we do go up, we’ll struggle to be top half given our lack of investment

It's all so very depressing isn't it?

The Championship is becoming Premiership 2 in everything but name.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:16 - Aug 18 with 4601 viewsblueconscience

That’s why Evans either needs to sell the club or be willing to match the spending of others. Harsh maybe, but true

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:35 - Aug 18 with 4547 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:16 - Aug 18 by blueconscience

That’s why Evans either needs to sell the club or be willing to match the spending of others. Harsh maybe, but true

And join the rush to be the next Bolton/Bury/Portsmouth (circa 2012)?

With clubs now selling their one-off major assets (e.g. the ground) in order just to keep up with running costs, there are going to be a lot more in crisis over the next few years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:36 - Aug 18 with 4536 viewspointofblue

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:35 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

With clubs now selling their one-off major assets (e.g. the ground) in order just to keep up with running costs, there are going to be a lot more in crisis over the next few years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Evans already bought Playford Road from the club?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 14:05]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:38 - Aug 18 with 4527 viewsblueconscience

That’s part of the risk of modern football. Up to him though, if he is happy spending millions to just run the club with no gains, good for him.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 13:39]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:41 - Aug 18 with 4509 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:36 - Aug 18 by pointofblue

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Evans already bought Playford Road from the club?

Yes, he has. As a way of feeding a bit more into the club.

Fortunately, the ground (or, more accurately, the land upon which it sits) cannot be sold.

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:44 - Aug 18 with 4479 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:38 - Aug 18 by blueconscience

That’s part of the risk of modern football. Up to him though, if he is happy spending millions to just run the club with no gains, good for him.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 13:39]

At some point, we may become one of the few clubs which hasn't gone bust (at least, not since 2002) and be in a position to win what's left of the League.

Login to get fewer ads

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:56 - Aug 18 with 4431 viewshaynes_toe1

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:44 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

At some point, we may become one of the few clubs which hasn't gone bust (at least, not since 2002) and be in a position to win what's left of the League.

Dreamland. People have said the football bubble is going to burst for 15 years or more. It's just got richer and richer and we've ended up further and further behind.
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:02 - Aug 18 with 4415 viewsCoastalblue

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:16 - Aug 18 by blueconscience

Maybe he's not able to do either at the moment?

Not ideal for us in any way, but most likely current scenario I would have thought?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:15 - Aug 18 with 4375 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:56 - Aug 18 by haynes_toe1

Dreamland. People have said the football bubble is going to burst for 15 years or more. It's just got richer and richer and we've ended up further and further behind.

That's not exactly true. A small number of clubs have got richer, as have players and their agents, but most sides - even into the middle reaches of the Prem - are struggling financially.

The bubble is unlikely to burst in a dramatic fashion (unless Murdoch's sons lose the plot after the old man is gone). Instead, it is more likely to get to a stage where a critical mass of clubs are going bust (given the very limited number of sufficiently cash-rich potential owners, especially in a global recession) and it becomes difficult to run a functioning league.

The current rate of spending is unsustainable, let alone how fast it's inflating. Where is the money going to come from?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:21 - Aug 18 with 4352 viewsPositivelyPortman

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:15 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

That's not exactly true. A small number of clubs have got richer, as have players and their agents, but most sides - even into the middle reaches of the Prem - are struggling financially.

The bubble is unlikely to burst in a dramatic fashion (unless Murdoch's sons lose the plot after the old man is gone). Instead, it is more likely to get to a stage where a critical mass of clubs are going bust (given the very limited number of sufficiently cash-rich potential owners, especially in a global recession) and it becomes difficult to run a functioning league.

The current rate of spending is unsustainable, let alone how fast it's inflating. Where is the money going to come from?

Find Theresa May’s mystery money tree perhaps?
Johnson has found where it was hidden and has been throwing plenty around.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:30 - Aug 18 with 4319 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:21 - Aug 18 by PositivelyPortman

Find Theresa May’s mystery money tree perhaps?
Johnson has found where it was hidden and has been throwing plenty around.

Low (tax) income, high spending, lots of borrowing. Sounds very much like English football at the moment.

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:33 - Aug 18 with 4318 viewsElderGrizzly

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:41 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

Fortunately, the ground (or, more accurately, the land upon which it sits) cannot be sold.

And he only bought a part of it, which wasn’t really utilised for much by the club

And it has a covenant on it that it can’t be used for anything but sport, so can’t be sold for housing
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 15:14 - Aug 18 with 4249 viewsRegencyBlue

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:41 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

He did try it though didn’t he?

The Council declared it a community asset or something from memory so it couldn’t be sold to him. Just as well because god knows what our illustrious owner would have done if he got his hands on that.

As for the training ground I doubt it was done for the good of the club. I know there is a covenant on it which supposedly stops the land being used for housing but covenants have been overturned before by clever lawyers.
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 16:04 - Aug 18 with 4169 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Football is broken, modern football is crap etc etc. What about Ipswich and their incompetence in the last few years then?

It's quite depressing and very telling that the likes of Reading and Brentford spend sums of money we're never going to do under Evans. If this is the way to build the success and good team then so be it. It's been an Evans policy that was the main of reason of our decline.

Reading have spent 7m on Puscas and it paid off today. Well done to them !
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 16:15 - Aug 18 with 4146 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's why we need to develop talent instead of looking to buy players.

If our academy can produce players again and we can pick up the odd bargain, selling on wisely we could compete. How do Blackburn or Millwall compete? Why don't Leeds, Bristol City and Derby walk the league?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 16:24 - Aug 18 with 4114 viewsbraveblue

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 13:36 - Aug 18 by pointofblue

Yes. And for a nominal amount I think. Not mentioned much.
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 16:26 - Aug 18 with 4106 viewsJ2BLUE

There's a happy medium between cutting everything to the bone and being the next Bury.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 18:22 - Aug 18 with 3985 viewsWickets

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:02 - Aug 18 by Coastalblue

Maybe he's not able to do either at the moment?

Not ideal for us in any way, but most likely current scenario I would have thought?

So many seem to forget that to sell you need someone who wants to buy .
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 18:43 - Aug 18 with 3914 viewslongtimefan

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 16:24 - Aug 18 by braveblue

Yes. And for a nominal amount I think. Not mentioned much.

Depends if you call £1.32M for the Bent lane portion nominal. The club plays £40k rent per year.
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 19:26 - Aug 18 with 3841 viewsmonytowbray

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 14:15 - Aug 18 by Guthrum

Spurs supporting mate of mine tried to argue last night money does still filter down from the PL from promotion and parachute payments and player sales. I was baffled by that logic and it shows how out of touch even the fans at the other end of the league are becoming. I made the point that Man City poached some of our youth a couple of years ago for peanuts in their pocket but a considerable sum for us who will likely never touch the bench for them in a competitive game. If you wan a society like football is ran it would be gross and miserable for the majority.

He then tried to argue a European Super League (after I mentioned the big six p1ssing off and making one to fix the wider English game) would kill football. As if no other clubs in the country have fans or something.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 21:21 - Aug 18 with 3698 viewsGuthrum

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 15:14 - Aug 18 by RegencyBlue

He did try it though didn’t he?

The Council declared it a community asset or something from memory so it couldn’t be sold to him. Just as well because god knows what our illustrious owner would have done if he got his hands on that.

As for the training ground I doubt it was done for the good of the club. I know there is a covenant on it which supposedly stops the land being used for housing but covenants have been overturned before by clever lawyers.

Evans suggested buying the land from the Council (who own it), but the latter were not interested.

The sale of part of the training ground put over £1m into the club, who still have use of the land, for which they pay rent. Change of useage is not just a matter for law, but also planning authorites and council decisions.

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 21:36 - Aug 18 with 3660 viewsOjc

Mark my words for next summer, Reading will get promoted this year.

Every season there is always a team that goes un-noticed, struggled the season before and then out of nowhere ends up getting promoted. This year it will be Reading.
Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 21:56 - Aug 18 with 3606 viewsElderGrizzly

Football is Broken (lost count of the number) on 21:36 - Aug 18 by Ojc

Mark my words for next summer, Reading will get promoted this year.

Every season there is always a team that goes un-noticed, struggled the season before and then out of nowhere ends up getting promoted. This year it will be Reading.

Out of nowhere? If nowhere is a huge splurge on players, then yes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024