Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 21:15 - Aug 19 with 3101 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why was that goal even being reviewed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Give the pedantry a rest.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR on 21:15 - Aug 19 with 3095 viewsSitfcB

Every goal is reviewed.

Surely everyone knows this by now ffs.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

VAR on 21:16 - Aug 19 with 3085 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 21:15 - Aug 19 by SitfcB

Every goal is reviewed.

Surely everyone knows this by now ffs.

First prem game I have watched.

VAR should not review EVERY goal.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAR on 21:19 - Aug 19 with 3062 viewsSitfcB

VAR on 21:16 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

You didn’t watch any of the World Cup last year then? Or any of the other UEFA Competitions?

Most goal reviews go unnoticed as there’s nothing wrong.

There was a worry about an offside there.

COYB

VAR on 21:20 - Aug 19 with 3056 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR on 21:16 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

It isn't. Man U's wasn't.

It was a question of whether the ball played square where an attacker has his arm ahead of the ball is offside. Correct decision reached but took too long in my opinion.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

VAR on 21:24 - Aug 19 with 3039 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 21:20 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

It isn't. Man U's wasn't.

It was a question of whether the ball played square where an attacker has his arm ahead of the ball is offside. Correct decision reached but took too long in my opinion.

Agreed, took too long, and also didnt really seem questionable.

....is his arm relevant? Cant score a goal with your arm.

VAR on 21:25 - Aug 19 with 3024 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 21:19 - Aug 19 by SitfcB

You didn’t watch any of the World Cup last year then? Or any of the other UEFA Competitions?

Not sure youre correct that EVERY goal is reviewed.

VAR on 21:52 - Aug 19 with 2970 viewsFtnfwest

I had the sound down, wasn’t his arm offside? Although if anything the ball was played backwards or sideways anyway I thought
VAR on 21:53 - Aug 19 with 2968 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 21:52 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

I had the sound down, wasn’t his arm offside? Although if anything the ball was played backwards or sideways anyway I thought

I may be wrong, but I dont think the arm can be off side.

Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 21:54 - Aug 19 with 2964 viewsFtnfwest

VAR on 21:24 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed, took too long, and also didnt really seem questionable.

....is his arm relevant? Cant score a goal with your arm.

You can balance yourself th score one though
VAR on 21:55 - Aug 19 with 2951 viewsFtnfwest

VAR on 21:53 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thought it was anything tbh. Certainly Lingards toenail was in the nations league
VAR on 21:57 - Aug 19 with 2944 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 21:55 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

Thought it was anything tbh. Certainly Lingards toenail was in the nations league

I'm pretty sure the arm or hand cant be offside.

'Toenail' shouldnt matter either, its too pedantic. But you can score with a toe.

VAR on 22:08 - Aug 19 with 2912 viewsElderGrizzly

VAR on 21:19 - Aug 19 by SitfcB

Yep, the worry that player’s arm was offside giving him such a huge advantage... 😂
VAR on 22:11 - Aug 19 with 2908 viewsSitfcB

VAR on 22:08 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

Yep, the worry that player’s arm was offside giving him such a huge advantage... 😂

Man City had one chalked off last weekend because Sterling’s armpit was a few millimetres offside!

COYB

VAR on 22:16 - Aug 19 with 2889 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR on 21:52 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

Not certain I am up with all the latest rule changes but an arm never used to be considered as you cannot legally play the ball with it.

Also I think the rule used to be that the ball had to be played forwards for it to be offside.

I think VAR should be used for the clear and obvious error not to try to get every tight offside call correct. I am not convinced the technology used to determine all the 3D angles is completely infallible. If the assistant had called it offside, it was reasonable to say he could have seen the pass as forward and the player ahead of it, as he didn't it would not have been reasonable to dispute his call.

VAR on 22:33 - Aug 19 with 2866 viewsFtnfwest

VAR on 22:16 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not certain I am up with all the latest rule changes but an arm never used to be considered as you cannot legally play the ball with it.

Also I think the rule used to be that the ball had to be played forwards for it to be offside.

I think VAR should be used for the clear and obvious error not to try to get every tight offside call correct. I am not convinced the technology used to determine all the 3D angles is completely infallible. If the assistant had called it offside, it was reasonable to say he could have seen the pass as forward and the player ahead of it, as he didn't it would not have been reasonable to dispute his call.

Plus it isn’t technology 100% making these decisions, it’s a little bloke (or lady) in a room in front of a tv
VAR on 22:36 - Aug 19 with 2859 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR on 22:33 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

Plus it isn’t technology 100% making these decisions, it’s a little bloke (or lady) in a room in front of a tv

The cricket system had a lot of teething problems but works well now.

I think the VAR crew should only refer when it is clearly the wrong decision, not on anything that is at all close. The benefit of doubt should go to the referee unless the referee has requested it because they were unsighted/unsure what they saw.

VAR on 22:47 - Aug 19 with 2835 viewsElderGrizzly

VAR on 22:11 - Aug 19 by SitfcB

Man City had one chalked off last weekend because Sterling’s armpit was a few millimetres offside!

I know. That’s why i assumed it would be disallowed even though it had no impact on the goal
VAR on 23:07 - Aug 19 with 2815 viewsBonchosBicycle

VAR on 21:53 - Aug 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

The law according to IFAB is:

"A player is in an offside position if:

any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and

any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered."
VAR on 23:09 - Aug 19 with 2809 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAR on 22:47 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

I know. That’s why i assumed it would be disallowed even though it had no impact on the goal

I guess the difference is that if your 'armpit' is offside, then you could feasibly score with your shoulder.

FWIW i dont think Sterling should have been ruled offside by VAR.

VAR on 00:23 - Aug 20 with 2755 viewsSarge

VAR is like Brexit.
1) it’s trying to solve a problem that doesn’t need solving and is failing at it
2) Everybody thinks it’s a stupid idea
3) We’re going to press ahead with it anyway because the people in charge are thick and don’t listen.
4) People on tv won’t stop banging on about it

I bet pickles invented VAR.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 0:24]
VAR on 06:35 - Aug 20 with 2658 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Spot on on every count

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

VAR on 08:55 - Aug 20 with 2555 viewsitfcjoe

Until VAR can pick up offsides in real time, like GLT, then it isn't fit for purpose.

The offside rule is no longer fit for purpose anyway, it was brought into prevent goalhanging and now someone being a millimetre offside and gaining no advantage is penalised.

I don't think it will be long before offside is totally abolished, genuinely

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR on 10:31 - Aug 20 with 2491 viewsElephantintheRoom

VAR on 22:33 - Aug 19 by Ftnfwest

Point of order - it is perfectly acceptable to play the ball with your arm IF in the referee's opinion it was accidental. VAR has made accidental handball a offence if a goal is scored - but not when a goal is not scored. Which seems odd - and completely at odds with rules of the game since before Tom Brown picked the ball up and ran with it. Personally I could live without VAR - it was only brought in because of Fatty Lampard's 'goal' against Germany. Conveniently forgetting that Sir Geoff Hurst would never have got a knighthood without the only other goal that VAR would have overturned in 8o years.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024