Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We got away with one there, but ... 23:06 - Aug 20 with 679 viewsSomethingBlue

... probably deserved it in the end, given Wimbledon's total lack of interest in playing any football once they scored. In many ways this was one hell of a "welcome to League One" for us and it may prove very valuable that we squeaked through.

First thing to say really is that the support in there was something else tonight, I thought. The attendance itself was brilliant for one of the least glamorous L1 games, early in the season on a Tuesday night, but the atmosphere in the second half — when pretty much an all-time low for most of seemed on the cards — was absolutely superb and I feel really proud of that. It can only help the players. Keep it going and maybe we can all be onto something special.

Strange game, diabolical first half and Lambert clearly didn't get that right. Then again I can understand that he needed to change things up; we are still getting several of our best players up to speed and it's very far from ideal. Midfield was far too flat in that shape and with those personnel, wide men weren't in it at all, Norwood was completely isolated. Loads of sterile possession bar one Dozzell pass; no complaints that we were punished.

But with this squad we will *always* have good options to change things up and I suspect we will see plenty more games like this, where things don't really flow or go right but we hang in there and eventually get through it with our extra quality. That's what happened today. Thought it was an excellent cameo from Judge out there, really got us playing and showed what he will bring at this level. Looked really sharp and hopefully he's near 100% now. Georgiou might not necessarily be a starter but is clearly a direct, purposeful, positive out-and-out attacking option on that left side and we've lacked one of those for years. Puts a very good ball in and on this evidence will be very nice to have around.

Thought Kenlock got much better in the second half; a few really nice, positive bursts into the box after pretty much hiding on the job in the first (not that he was the only one). When he ran past two men and got a shot away in around the 70th minute it looked to me as if Wimbledon were tiring and from then on we were able to get a nice head of steam up.

Donacien — actually an OK one-on-one defender, but not someone we need near the team if we want to play at all progressively. Awful on the ball from him today. Can't wait to see hiw KVY fares.

Downes — looking a Rolls Royce of a player, to me. Excellent energy levels. If he hasn't moved for a very big fee in a year's time I'll be stunned but for now he can be huge for us.

Norwood/Jackson — just great to have both off the mark now. Largely a frustrating night for Norwood but when he's actually allowed to do what he's good at, facing goal, he looks so strong.

Overall — think it will be some time til we know what this team actually *is*, if we ever do. Might be a problem for another day. For now I'm heartened that we *do* have a squad good enough to find a way on tough nights like this. And heartened too by how everyone in there helped it happen.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 23:12]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We got away with one there, but ... on 23:37 - Aug 20 with 583 viewsSWGF

"sterile possession" is the perfect description of most of the first half.

I'm stealing that for use elsewhere!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

We got away with one there, but ... on 23:57 - Aug 20 with 519 viewsWickets

And i thought Captain Skuse was trucking brilliant !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024