Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? 07:05 - Aug 21 with 1595 viewsWarkystache

Given the demand it seems daft to have people waiting 30 minutes for the next London-bound train. It gave a few rival fans the chance to have a bit of handbags last night as well.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:24 - Aug 21 with 1549 viewsBlueRaider

Yup, but they don’t care about sports fans, look at the farce with Peterborough at the weekend

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:28 - Aug 21 with 1540 viewsWarkystache

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:24 - Aug 21 by BlueRaider

Yup, but they don’t care about sports fans, look at the farce with Peterborough at the weekend

One at 10.00 would have been perfect. I notice they had two at 10.23 and 10.43; surely just promote the 10.23 to 10pm? It was sat on the platform for ages before it went so it's not affecting mainline services.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:32 - Aug 21 with 1532 viewsSteve_M

Their predecessors used to hold the 21:43 for 10 minutes which was time enough if people were quick. That stopped at the end of 2004, coincidentally when we went crap.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:38 - Aug 21 with 1515 viewshatch

It’s not quite as simple as that. Timetables are submitted in 6 month spells before, in the case before the fixtures are even known. To shift one train time would mean a number of other services throughout the day would need shifting too anyway, which would leave gaps in service on the way to the game and affect commuters potentially.

Adding in a special service like they tried to at the weekend is often the only solution but this is dependent on availability of trains, guards, drivers and permission from Network Rail to use the track and platforms as certain times.

For the sake of 4 or 5 Tuesday nights a year and keeping fans waiting less it’s not an easy business case.

I do see your point and frustration, however.
Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:45 - Aug 21 with 1494 views26_Paz

Absolutely agree. I had an early start this morning so left on 87 minutes and literally ran to get the 9.43 ... look how that turned out! Just delay it 15 minutes on match night! Can’t be that difficult!

The Paz Man

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:46 - Aug 21 with 1491 viewsReuser_is_God

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:32 - Aug 21 by Steve_M

Their predecessors used to hold the 21:43 for 10 minutes which was time enough if people were quick. That stopped at the end of 2004, coincidentally when we went crap.

10:23 does give you sufficient time to grab a beer or 2 though.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:55 - Aug 21 with 1470 viewsITFC_Forever

There’s no train to London before 22.23 on a match day?

How do all the morning commuters cope? Surely there must be some?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 10:34 - Aug 21 with 1362 viewstabletopjoe

You seem to have completely misunderstood privatisation.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Login to get fewer ads

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 10:44 - Aug 21 with 1343 viewsGeoffSentence

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:32 - Aug 21 by Steve_M

If they did that now though they would probably end up giving out a shed load of compo for a delayed train.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 12:47 - Aug 21 with 1276 viewslinhdi

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 07:45 - Aug 21 by 26_Paz

Absolutely agree. I had an early start this morning so left on 87 minutes and literally ran to get the 9.43 ... look how that turned out! Just delay it 15 minutes on match night! Can’t be that difficult!

Greater Anglia have been asked several times in recent years to delay the 2143 on match nights, just by 10 minutes. Their less-than-credible response is that it would need up too many other services. (At a quietish time of day). It didn't go down too well when it was suggested that they have had plenty of practice at running late trains, so this one should not be too taxing!
Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 12:51 - Aug 21 with 1264 viewsuefacup81

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 12:47 - Aug 21 by linhdi

Greater Anglia have been asked several times in recent years to delay the 2143 on match nights, just by 10 minutes. Their less-than-credible response is that it would need up too many other services. (At a quietish time of day). It didn't go down too well when it was suggested that they have had plenty of practice at running late trains, so this one should not be too taxing!

The thing is, it's a perfectly credible response.

It's not just passenger services that use the GEML, but plenty of freight services too between Felixtowe and the Midlands.

If you consider that the majority of the line until you reach Greater London consists of one track in each direction, it would be very easy for one delayed train to mess up many other trains on either side of it.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Why don't the train companies run a London train before 10.23 on a match night? on 13:28 - Aug 21 with 1230 viewsBent_double

Having left a few mins early to make sure I got the last train to Noj, I got to the station and found there was a 21.45, great I thought, should be able to get the 22.30 from Noj to Yarmouth.

There was no 22.30 from Noj to Yarmouth, might as well have stayed til the end. I'll stick to driving next time.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024