Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 1995-96 season and the Burley years 11:10 - Aug 21 with 1937 viewsSteve_M

I think it's often forgotten that the team of Spring 1998 to Summer 2001 didn't arise instantaneously out of the mess of 94-95. It took time for Burley to turn a dreadful side that lost every week and couldn't score goals into that fluent, attractive, winning side.

Even the improvement in 95-96 to be the highest scorers in the country, achieved with only the addition of Gus Uhlenbeek and Mowbray (mid-way through the season) got off to a stuttering start. Four wins in the first 13 matches and a league cup exit to Stockport. None of that means Lambert is going to do the same or that he gets a free pass, just that turning a losing mentality round takes time however good the players might be.

Confidence and belief is a big part of football, that lot up the road gained a lot from winning matches late on in 2009-10 and it set them up for the Premier League, the money from which has kept them far above us off the pitch since. Hopefully, late goals become habitual (well, even more hopefully we win comfortably a lot of the time) for us.. I wish I was going to Bolton now but I can't get ticket in time, have to wait until next weekend for more football now I suppose.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1372&teamTabs=results

Working on Saturdays. I saw two home matches before I went to uni that year, Huddersfield and Charlton in my 18 month stint without seeing a win....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 11:31 - Aug 21 with 1859 viewspatrickswell

I remember you saying once that the 1995-96 season was, in some respects, Burley’s finest achievement.

This season presents potential parallels with that year, though hopefully with a happier ending.
The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 11:42 - Aug 21 with 1807 viewsSteve_M

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 11:31 - Aug 21 by patrickswell

I remember you saying once that the 1995-96 season was, in some respects, Burley’s finest achievement.

This season presents potential parallels with that year, though hopefully with a happier ending.

Ha, yes, I'm sure I've come out with that a few times.

I do think that if, and it remains a big if, Lambert can get this team working and winning matches then a first promotion in 19 years might spark some of the life that last flickered in 2014-15 back into the club. If it doesn't then we're largely fked, probably for a long time.

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 11:55 - Aug 21 with 1761 viewschicoazul

Real tea; if we go up this season it will basically be the best season the club and us supporters have had for 15 years but the fllipside of it is that there are still many at the club who are accustomed to failure, hence the nerves on the pitch and in the crowd. All about re-building confidence right now.
What we now need to do is buy a Dutch left back and promotion is assured.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:41 - Aug 21 with 1689 viewshomer_123

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 11:42 - Aug 21 by Steve_M

Ha, yes, I'm sure I've come out with that a few times.

I do think that if, and it remains a big if, Lambert can get this team working and winning matches then a first promotion in 19 years might spark some of the life that last flickered in 2014-15 back into the club. If it doesn't then we're largely fked, probably for a long time.

Still feels like a very big if at the moment though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:45 - Aug 21 with 1673 viewsSomethingBlue

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:41 - Aug 21 by homer_123

Well it's already winning matches while at nothing like full strength. Think the level of negativity is a bit much just now.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:47 - Aug 21 with 1661 viewsReuser_is_God

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:41 - Aug 21 by homer_123

We’ve won 8 points from 12 available.

My god I hate us being so bad at football.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:51 - Aug 21 with 1640 viewsKropotkin123

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 12:47 - Aug 21 by Reuser_is_God

We’ve won 8 points from 12 available.

My god I hate us being so bad at football.

With the two draws against the pre-season favourites for the title and a favourite for the play-offs...

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 13:54 - Aug 21 with 1524 viewsOxford_Blue

We then had a very strong youth set up and produced Kieron dyer, Scowcroft, Richard Wright, Naylor etc and burley was allowed to re invest money from player sales. When dyer was sold that allowed magilton and Stewart to be bought at a critical time for us.

Not sure PL has those options.
Login to get fewer ads

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 08:00 - Aug 22 with 1300 viewsSteve_M

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 13:54 - Aug 21 by Oxford_Blue

We then had a very strong youth set up and produced Kieron dyer, Scowcroft, Richard Wright, Naylor etc and burley was allowed to re invest money from player sales. When dyer was sold that allowed magilton and Stewart to be bought at a critical time for us.

Yeah, definitely no players just come through from the youth team for Lambert to use.

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 08:41 - Aug 22 with 1236 viewschicoazul

The 1995-96 season and the Burley years on 13:54 - Aug 21 by Oxford_Blue

We're going to sell Downes for £12m next Summer but ok.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024