Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dump the big 6? 08:58 - Aug 22 with 3814 viewsSouperJim

Interested to know what other fans think - if the "big 6" swanned off to a new European super league and this allowed a reshuffle of our league structure and a more even distribution of remaining wealth/tv money etc followed, including stricter rules on player wages and transfer/agent expenditure to make our football sustainable, would you be in favour?

Saw an article yesterday which covered wages as a percentage of turnover, was a real eye opener. Basically everyone other than the top 6 clubs are heading for oblivion.

Celebrating like mad a win over AFC Wimbledon has made me realise that football is football. Yes I'd rather we were duking it out with the big boys, but if the "big boys" became Everton, West Ham and Leicester would it really matter that much in the grand scheme of things?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Dump the big 6? on 09:01 - Aug 22 with 2790 viewscrossyitfc

Not for me
Dump the big 6? on 09:03 - Aug 22 with 2764 viewsJimmyJazz

No

Take Scottish football - if you take away Celtic and Rangers what do you have? An irrelevant league on a par with the Irish league

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Dump the big 6? on 09:05 - Aug 22 with 2746 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:03 - Aug 22 by JimmyJazz

No

Take Scottish football - if you take away Celtic and Rangers what do you have? An irrelevant league on a par with the Irish league

Irrelevant for who? Pretty sure Aberdeen Dundee and Falkirk fans wouldnt think it's irrelevant.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dump the big 6? on 09:08 - Aug 22 with 2722 viewsJimmyJazz

Dump the big 6? on 09:05 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

Irrelevant for who? Pretty sure Aberdeen Dundee and Falkirk fans wouldnt think it's irrelevant.

I'm sure non league fans enjoy their football, but even then there is a route to bigger and better standards

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Dump the big 6? on 09:09 - Aug 22 with 2715 viewsSouperJim

Dump the big 6? on 09:05 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

Also, how many times have Aberdeen and Falkirk managed to beat Celtic in the last few years anyway?

The playing field just isn't level and the financial clout of the top clubs is arguably the driving force behind this culture of destruction. What's the end gain of being able to play these clubs you have no realistic hope of competing with?

Dump the big 6? on 09:10 - Aug 22 with 2702 viewsITFC_Forever

Dump the Prem.

EFL should abolish promotion to the Prem.

Premier League as a product suddenly becomes worthless, as any match not featuring the top six becomes a dead rubber. TV companies would soon lose interest.

Meanwhile, the EFL's leagues become a more even competition, which is genuinely competitive and anyone could win.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Dump the big 6? on 09:12 - Aug 22 with 2697 viewsN2_Blue

Definitely.
Real football fans would get football back and not this money dominated version.
The top 6 are just marketing machines for the far east anyway.

Real football fans will only follow clubs where they can watch all their team's home matches at 'home'.

Let the top 6 swan off and keep their global fans happy that have never actually watch games live in person and we will have a league more successful here in UK.

And can we dump VAR along with the top 6 while we are at it please.

It might take years of transition as the revenue lost from TV would change how things worked but it would soon change for the better.

There are only so many players that could play for euro league clubs, so the quality of football and players outside of this would still be superb.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Dump the big 6? on 09:12 - Aug 22 with 2694 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:08 - Aug 22 by JimmyJazz

I'm sure non league fans enjoy their football, but even then there is a route to bigger and better standards

Irrelevant to who, though?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Dump the big 6? on 09:12 - Aug 22 with 2691 viewsGuthrum

There would be no 'remaining wealth/tv money' under those circumstances. Everything left behind would suffer a major deflationary collapse. All the half-decent players not needed for the European Super League would go to China.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dump the big 6? on 09:14 - Aug 22 with 2679 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:09 - Aug 22 by SouperJim

Also, how many times have Aberdeen and Falkirk managed to beat Celtic in the last few years anyway?

The playing field just isn't level and the financial clout of the top clubs is arguably the driving force behind this culture of destruction. What's the end gain of being able to play these clubs you have no realistic hope of competing with?

I understand people wanting to compete with the best clubs, try to win things etc.
I don't understand why people think that that struggle would become irrelevant if the top 6 fcked off like they want to to play Juventus and Bayern every week.

Dump the big 6? on 09:15 - Aug 22 with 2664 viewsJ2BLUE

No, it's a terrible, poorly thought out idea. This really is a case of BCWYWF!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dump the big 6? on 09:16 - Aug 22 with 2665 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:12 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

There would be no 'remaining wealth/tv money' under those circumstances. Everything left behind would suffer a major deflationary collapse. All the half-decent players not needed for the European Super League would go to China.

But so what? Who cares? Clubs would still survive, fans would still follow their teams.

Dump the big 6? on 09:17 - Aug 22 with 2659 viewscolly

Well there would probably be less television money available as the English domestic game would have a much lower profile both at home and abroad.

Lesser lights in the Premier League, and I now include our neighbour NCFC ,would be denied theses high-profile, high income fixtures and even promotion from the Championship would be a less attractive proposition.

Like it or not the big six are the backbone of the English game.

I agree that the money should be more evenly spread. The Premier League needs the lower leagues in the same way that a 10,000 metres race needs the also rans as a foothold for the new and to make a race for the successful to win.

What value the Premier League if all the other leagues didn't exist? It works both ways.
Dump the big 6? on 09:19 - Aug 22 with 2624 viewsJ2BLUE

Dump the big 6? on 09:10 - Aug 22 by ITFC_Forever

Dump the Prem.

EFL should abolish promotion to the Prem.

Premier League as a product suddenly becomes worthless, as any match not featuring the top six becomes a dead rubber. TV companies would soon lose interest.

Meanwhile, the EFL's leagues become a more even competition, which is genuinely competitive and anyone could win.

Do you really believe this?

The Prem would establish EPL 2 and EPL 3 within a week and the defections would start en masse. It's complete nonsense that the EFL have that sort of power and could command the loyalty of clubs in that situation. The likes of Derby would join EPL 2 on day one as they've been throwing huge amounts of money at trying to win a prize you want to take away.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dump the big 6? on 09:20 - Aug 22 with 2610 viewstrncbluearmy

Go and be damned
Dump the big 6? on 09:24 - Aug 22 with 2597 viewsSouperJim

Dump the big 6? on 09:17 - Aug 22 by colly

Well there would probably be less television money available as the English domestic game would have a much lower profile both at home and abroad.

Lesser lights in the Premier League, and I now include our neighbour NCFC ,would be denied theses high-profile, high income fixtures and even promotion from the Championship would be a less attractive proposition.

Like it or not the big six are the backbone of the English game.

I agree that the money should be more evenly spread. The Premier League needs the lower leagues in the same way that a 10,000 metres race needs the also rans as a foothold for the new and to make a race for the successful to win.

What value the Premier League if all the other leagues didn't exist? It works both ways.

It's all relative though isn't it? If your high-profile, high income fixtures are now Everton, West Ham and Leicester, you cut your cloth accordingly. It doesn't matter to me whether the average player wage is £20k per week or £5k per week, football is still football and the standard will still be high at the top end. We'll still compete for the same prizes and a more level playing field would actually give far more clubs hope of actually being able to compete for something meaningful.

Dump the big 6? on 09:29 - Aug 22 with 2568 viewsNaylorsboots

If the big boys became Everton, West Ham and Leicester, then the whole thing starts up again. You will just go round in circles.
Dump the big 6? on 09:30 - Aug 22 with 2543 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:29 - Aug 22 by Naylorsboots

If the big boys became Everton, West Ham and Leicester, then the whole thing starts up again. You will just go round in circles.

It would take years and years and years for West Ham to gain the same worldwide profile Man U or Liverpool have.

Dump the big 6? on 09:30 - Aug 22 with 2542 viewsSouperJim

Dump the big 6? on 09:29 - Aug 22 by Naylorsboots

You missed my vague "including stricter rules on player wages and transfer/agent expenditure to make our football sustainable". Obviously there would have to be changes to stop history repeating itself. Effective, enforced FFP.

Dump the big 6? on 09:34 - Aug 22 with 2512 viewsDurovigutum

My heart says yes, my head was told by the county FA that this would more or less destroy English football as even though the Premier League holds onto most of the money it still gives enough for local FAs to limp through. Losing this would kill many off and losing the big 6 would massively impact the TV take. What is most important is we don't do a TV deal like Spain, where the big two get most of the TV money - at least ours is mostly position in table related (it could be argued this is the same thing, but Leicester).
Dump the big 6? on 09:35 - Aug 22 with 2490 viewschicoazul

Dump the big 6? on 09:15 - Aug 22 by J2BLUE

No, it's a terrible, poorly thought out idea. This really is a case of BCWYWF!

Would you stop watching football/Ipswich if this happened?

Dump the big 6? on 09:36 - Aug 22 with 2490 viewsGuthrum

Dump the big 6? on 09:16 - Aug 22 by chicoazul

But so what? Who cares? Clubs would still survive, fans would still follow their teams.

If fans are prepared to accept a significant drop in standards, disappearance of the big-money transfer, increased ticket prices (running costs will have to come from somewhere), no excuses beyond the available talent of manager and players and so on, then all well and good.

But from what I see on here and other football outlets or phone-ins, I very much doubt the modern football fan would be at all happy about that. Not to mention their rarely more than token empathy for the misfortunes of their rivals (if Norwich were going bust, would we offer comfort, or laugh?).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dump the big 6? on 09:36 - Aug 22 with 2484 viewsNaylorsboots

Dump the big 6? on 09:30 - Aug 22 by SouperJim

You missed my vague "including stricter rules on player wages and transfer/agent expenditure to make our football sustainable". Obviously there would have to be changes to stop history repeating itself. Effective, enforced FFP.

Basically lm against the idea
Dump the big 6? on 09:37 - Aug 22 with 2479 viewsGarv

If the best teams aren’t in it, then it’s not really the premier league is it?

Can’t see it ever happening. I’m sure there will be a European super league with all the big names and it might change the premier league schedule or format even but they’ll never leave permanently.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Dump the big 6? on 09:39 - Aug 22 with 2460 viewsITFC_Forever

Dump the big 6? on 09:36 - Aug 22 by Guthrum

If fans are prepared to accept a significant drop in standards, disappearance of the big-money transfer, increased ticket prices (running costs will have to come from somewhere), no excuses beyond the available talent of manager and players and so on, then all well and good.

But from what I see on here and other football outlets or phone-ins, I very much doubt the modern football fan would be at all happy about that. Not to mention their rarely more than token empathy for the misfortunes of their rivals (if Norwich were going bust, would we offer comfort, or laugh?).

Wages would also go through the floor, so the increase in costs also wouldn't happen - clubs would have to realise that they can't offer silly money and the players would have to accept that.

If / when Bolton and Bury go bust, while it's a massive shame for their fans, they won't be the last. And the penny will surely drop with clubs and fans that they simply can't continue to live beyond their means. Those that don't heed the warning will be next.... a few clubs going bust will be in the greater good of the rest of the game unfortunately.

Villa were very close to it 15 months ago, and the EFL has got very few sustainable clubs in any of the Leagues. The sooner they and the clubs wise up to it, the better.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024