Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News 14:26 - Aug 23 with 3030 viewsDarth_Koont

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49432821

Hopefully, it can signal an actual change of direction for our media who have been frankly shocking and enabled this known liar to become Prime Minister. Maybe enough journalists can now see it's gone too far?

"What we all need to decide: what do we do when a known liar becomes our Prime Minister? I've talked to journalists from several television organisations about this issue. They said they would be loath to use that word 'liar'.

Remember when Andrew Marr told [former defence secretary] Penny Mordaunt her claim that the UK couldn't stop Turkey from joining the EU was 'strange'?

It was strange, but it was also untrue - a lie. Is it time for us to start using the L-word? I believe that we need to start calling politicians out as liars when they lie. If we continue to be so polite, how will our viewers know that politicians are lying?"

Pronouns: He/Him

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:30 - Aug 23 with 2735 viewsCoastalblue

The trouble is 90% of them lie every time they open their mouths, but yes, they should be accountable for it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:33 - Aug 23 with 2717 viewsGlasgowBlue

And as you don’t want to indulge in “slimy and disingenuous party politics“ and believe that criticism of one political party should be balanced in the same post by criticism of another political party, I’ll add this link for you.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2018/01/31/breaking-labour-leader-leaves-national-tele

You must have forgotten to practice what you preach. Cluck cluck.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:35 - Aug 23 with 2706 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:30 - Aug 23 by Coastalblue

The trouble is 90% of them lie every time they open their mouths, but yes, they should be accountable for it.

I think she hits the nail on the head with "too polite". I think journalists need to be much more direct or it's letting politicians off the hook.

But the reason they're too polite in the first place is because the media need the politicians to supply them with content to fill their 24/7 news channels and websites. There's definitely a conflict of interest here that prevents them calling out politicians too severely. That's without even addressing the propaganda pamphleteers of the Mail, Telegraph, Express etc. who won't just repeat the lies but amplify them too.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:44 - Aug 23 with 2676 viewslowhouseblue

trouble is that some (thick) people tend to label those they disagree with a 'liars'. they want a simple black and white world and can't cope with complexity or different ways of reading things. unless the media can prove that someone has lied to the level required in a libel court they shouldn't use the word 'liar'. can't have the media smearing people they don't like - that's for people like you to do.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:44 - Aug 23 with 2671 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:33 - Aug 23 by GlasgowBlue

And as you don’t want to indulge in “slimy and disingenuous party politics“ and believe that criticism of one political party should be balanced in the same post by criticism of another political party, I’ll add this link for you.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2018/01/31/breaking-labour-leader-leaves-national-tele

You must have forgotten to practice what you preach. Cluck cluck.

Funny that you assumed I meant politicians from one party.

I don't think Corbyn is some shining beacon of truth - he's a politician. But I've never seen more lies and smears from his most disingenuous and slimy detractors either.

So please practise what you preach.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:48 - Aug 23 with 2656 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:44 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

trouble is that some (thick) people tend to label those they disagree with a 'liars'. they want a simple black and white world and can't cope with complexity or different ways of reading things. unless the media can prove that someone has lied to the level required in a libel court they shouldn't use the word 'liar'. can't have the media smearing people they don't like - that's for people like you to do.

If you tell an untruth, then you can first have that pointed out as "not true". If you keep repeating it then it's a lie. Boris does the latter.

The argument re: Penny Mordaunt is whether she lied or is incompetent and didn't know what she was talking about - either way you don't let her off the hook that easily.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:50 - Aug 23 with 2645 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:48 - Aug 23 by Darth_Koont

If you tell an untruth, then you can first have that pointed out as "not true". If you keep repeating it then it's a lie. Boris does the latter.

The argument re: Penny Mordaunt is whether she lied or is incompetent and didn't know what she was talking about - either way you don't let her off the hook that easily.

and who gets to define the 'untruth'. disagree isn't the same as 'lie'.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:55 - Aug 23 with 2633 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:50 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

I know you think all is fair in politics and war but if someone says something untrue you can't just reduce that to a difference of opinion.

Do you really think Mordaunt's claim that the UK couldn't stop Turkey from joining the EU is fair enough?

Login to get fewer ads

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:00 - Aug 23 with 2579 viewsHerbivore

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:50 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

There are some pretty obvious examples that come to mind. I've heard several times now on the BBC Brexiteers claiming that if the UK remains in the EU we will be forcee to adopt the Euro. That is patently untrue but I've not heard the BBC challenge that claim once. That's not a matter of disagreement, it's simply false.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:03 - Aug 23 with 2562 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 14:55 - Aug 23 by Darth_Koont

I know you think all is fair in politics and war but if someone says something untrue you can't just reduce that to a difference of opinion.

Do you really think Mordaunt's claim that the UK couldn't stop Turkey from joining the EU is fair enough?

you seem to think 'untrue' is straightforward to determine. in most political discussions it isn't - it is primarily a difference in interpretation. very few politicians lie - the fact that people don't agree with them isn't the same. you just need to read stuff critically and understand that there may be a multiplicity of meanings. language, logic, comprehension and complexity are fun.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:06 - Aug 23 with 2548 viewsSteve_M

Are you still ok when they did the same to Labour and the SNP or just the ones you don't like?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:09 - Aug 23 with 2539 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:00 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

There are some pretty obvious examples that come to mind. I've heard several times now on the BBC Brexiteers claiming that if the UK remains in the EU we will be forcee to adopt the Euro. That is patently untrue but I've not heard the BBC challenge that claim once. That's not a matter of disagreement, it's simply false.

i've not heard that. do you have a quote from someone saying that if we revoke article 50 we'll have to join the euro. that would seem wrong.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:10 - Aug 23 with 2532 viewsHerbivore

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:09 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

i've not heard that. do you have a quote from someone saying that if we revoke article 50 we'll have to join the euro. that would seem wrong.

I've heard it said when listening to Radio 5 from a number of people, so I can't provide a written quote, no.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:13 - Aug 23 with 2517 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:06 - Aug 23 by Steve_M

Are you still ok when they did the same to Labour and the SNP or just the ones you don't like?

When they did what?

Politicians need to be more accountable and truthful across the board. But we’re currently seeing some of the least accountable and truthful people get rewarded for that and be in power. That’s as much a failure of journalism as anything else.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:16 - Aug 23 with 2502 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:10 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

I've heard it said when listening to Radio 5 from a number of people, so I can't provide a written quote, no.

if so they are muddling up rejoining with revoking a50. they may of course be unknowingly wrong rather than lying.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:19 - Aug 23 with 2483 viewsHerbivore

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:16 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

if so they are muddling up rejoining with revoking a50. they may of course be unknowingly wrong rather than lying.

No, they were very clear that if we were to remain, not rejoin, remain, that we would have to join the Euro because of the Treaty of Lisbon. It's patently false but has never been challenged. I should add that I'm not sure of these were politicians making the claims, but whoever is making them a responsible broadcaster ought to challenge and correct mistruths.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:21 - Aug 23 with 2469 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:16 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

Jeez lowers. You really are part of the problem.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:22 - Aug 23 with 2455 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:19 - Aug 23 by Herbivore

No, they were very clear that if we were to remain, not rejoin, remain, that we would have to join the Euro because of the Treaty of Lisbon. It's patently false but has never been challenged. I should add that I'm not sure of these were politicians making the claims, but whoever is making them a responsible broadcaster ought to challenge and correct mistruths.

absolutely, if someone is mistaken the broadcaster should correct them.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:24 - Aug 23 with 2442 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:21 - Aug 23 by Darth_Koont

Jeez lowers. You really are part of the problem.

yes people questioning stuff and trying to understand what others are saying, rather than shouting 'liar' at them, is definitely the problem. people other than you, even those who disagree with you, have valid views. scarey isn't it.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:32 - Aug 23 with 2406 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:24 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

yes people questioning stuff and trying to understand what others are saying, rather than shouting 'liar' at them, is definitely the problem. people other than you, even those who disagree with you, have valid views. scarey isn't it.

You’re really asking for more rigour and integrity? Yeah right!

People’s views need to be based on objective facts ... or they’re not valid. We’re talking about national and international media FFS not some Radio Suffolk phone in where anything goes.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:44 - Aug 23 with 2366 viewslowhouseblue

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:32 - Aug 23 by Darth_Koont

You’re really asking for more rigour and integrity? Yeah right!

People’s views need to be based on objective facts ... or they’re not valid. We’re talking about national and international media FFS not some Radio Suffolk phone in where anything goes.

'objective facts' ... oh, you are so sweet. i'd pat you if i could reach.

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:56 - Aug 23 with 2340 viewsDarth_Koont

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 15:44 - Aug 23 by lowhouseblue

'objective facts' ... oh, you are so sweet. i'd pat you if i could reach.

That was even more unsettling than GB’s threat/non-threat.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 15:57]

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 16:28 - Aug 23 with 2269 viewsbrazil1982

The impartial Channel 4 with Jon "F£ck the Tories" Snow.
This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 16:35 - Aug 23 with 2257 viewsHerbivore

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 16:28 - Aug 23 by brazil1982

The impartial Channel 4 with Jon "F£ck the Tories" Snow.

What's your issue with them wanting to call out lies?

This is good to hear from the head of Channel 4 News on 16:53 - Aug 23 with 2230 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine interviewing Trump with that mindset. "So, President Liar, you've told 16,532 lies in your term of office. What lies are you going tell today?"

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024