Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where do we need to strengthen most now? 00:04 - Aug 25 with 2461 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I think most of us will agree that Lambert has now assembled a squad that is good enough to get us out of this division. Whether he’s worked out his strongest XI remains to be seen yet, but it’s been a positive summer’s business.

But there’s always room to improve. And with half an eye on January, I’m wondering what we think is the area that most needs attention now?

I was tempted to say left back. But aside from Kenlock, you could have either Garbutt or Georgiou there, so is that a priority?

Maybe centre back? Chambers and Wilson aren’t the long term answer, but we do have good options in Woolfenden and Nsiala.

Interested to know what everyone thinks.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 03:32 - Aug 25 with 2353 viewsFPL_Tractor

I suspect we’ll be filling holes in January caused by injuries or sales. No more, no less.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 07:46 - Aug 25 with 2201 viewsNo9

Let us just appreciate that team management is in place & showing the way to rebuild a broken team.
Prevoius season it hasn't even been a patch up job just ploddin gon with no hope of improvement
Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:40 - Aug 25 with 2112 viewsstewartm

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 07:46 - Aug 25 by No9

Let us just appreciate that team management is in place & showing the way to rebuild a broken team.
Prevoius season it hasn't even been a patch up job just ploddin gon with no hope of improvement

Totally agree, nice to see a normal manager at the helm at Ipswich! Normal team building with a good balance (even on a 'tight as two coats of paint' Evans budget) I just hope people can see now that McCarthy had his results on the pitch but everything else was total b,,,,x concerning him and it looks like PL is finally repairing damage done in recent years.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

In my mind the squad is now well equipped for promotion on 08:48 - Aug 25 with 2091 viewsunstableblue

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 07:46 - Aug 25 by No9

Kenlock probably the weakest starter.., but he’s doing OK

Out midfield is ridiculous and the challenge is keeping them all happy. The ability to bring on Huws, Georgiou and Rowe and not even use Dozzell is very heartening.

For me Huws will eventually supersede Skuse in our first choice 11. Huws looked on another level yesterday when he came on. And whilst Skuse is having a good seasons, he has always lacked the longer more visionary pass.

Downes just gets better and better.

I’m looking forward to the Shrewsbury game as the 4-4-2 system is beginning to settle and we’re dangerous, would be good to beat them well.

Shout out to Wilson, he is doing well for us.

Note: Norwood missed a lot of chances yesterday, many one on ones, pleased he finished so well at the end.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:50 - Aug 25 with 2064 viewsclive_baker

I think we’re probably there now Keane has signed. It’s great to think if we can keep up this form and be right up there around Christmas, Sears and Bishop will feel like new signings in January. We still have Lankestar and Nydam to come back at some stage too.

I wouldn’t rock the apple cart if I were Lambert. If anything I would look to move a couple on. Roberts really isn’t good enough, and Donacien should be surplus given we have KVY with Emmanuel as back up. Chambers could fill in there at a push, an no doubt be a better option than Donacien. Moving those 2 out on loan and perhaps one of Dobra or El Mizouni so they can get some more game time, with a view to them coming back and helping out in the 2nd half of the season. We’ve got a really nicely balanced squad, we just need to keep winning league matches.

COYB

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:56 - Aug 25 with 2039 viewsMullet

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:50 - Aug 25 by clive_baker

I think we’re probably there now Keane has signed. It’s great to think if we can keep up this form and be right up there around Christmas, Sears and Bishop will feel like new signings in January. We still have Lankestar and Nydam to come back at some stage too.

I wouldn’t rock the apple cart if I were Lambert. If anything I would look to move a couple on. Roberts really isn’t good enough, and Donacien should be surplus given we have KVY with Emmanuel as back up. Chambers could fill in there at a push, an no doubt be a better option than Donacien. Moving those 2 out on loan and perhaps one of Dobra or El Mizouni so they can get some more game time, with a view to them coming back and helping out in the 2nd half of the season. We’ve got a really nicely balanced squad, we just need to keep winning league matches.

COYB

I'd not add anyone else. I'd get rid of Roberts, and Emmanuel would go for me. Donacien can play anywhere across the back so he has more value. With KVY and Georgiou and Garbutt able to play LB too, he'd probably on cover at CB but still it'd be better than a RB who looks to be just as flawed.

We won't see Lankaster or Nydam this season I reckon. I'd not put it past the injured lads to do a month or two on loan like Hyam did when he went to Rotherham.

I can still see Judge going in January when we are doing well and QPR offer us more than we can refuse.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:11 - Aug 25 with 2004 viewsxrayspecs

I think we have a reasonably complete and balanced squad, so the goal needs to be upgrade those players who we can not develop further. Over the next two transfer windows (and assuming we go up), I would imagine something like:

GK: Bart comes back and replaces Norris/stays at Millwall and we sign a replacement

Full backs: replace Kenlock and Emmanuel
Centre Backs: replace Chambers, Donacien and Wilson

Midfield: (do not) replace Skuse as we have plenty of cover. Replace Garbutt and Georgiou when loans end

Forwards: (do not) replace Roberts
Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:13 - Aug 25 with 1983 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:50 - Aug 25 by clive_baker

COYB

I agree that Roberts isn’t good enough. We appear to have three or four players ahead of him in the pecking order at present. Donacien is an interesting one. I feel like he does a job at this level, but he won’t go any further. He certainly wouldn’t be part of any promotion attempt in the Championship.

I do look at Kenlock as our weakest option in the starting XI, so if we could go out there and snap up a really promising young left back from League One or two, I think that would represent good business.

I honestly do also think we need to start making a contingency plan for the post-Chambers era, especially with Wilson unlikely to be a long term option. In many ways, I wonder if there is an up and coming centre back in League Two that we could take and then loan straight out again?

Login to get fewer ads

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:20 - Aug 25 with 1954 viewsclive_baker

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:56 - Aug 25 by Mullet

I'd not add anyone else. I'd get rid of Roberts, and Emmanuel would go for me. Donacien can play anywhere across the back so he has more value. With KVY and Georgiou and Garbutt able to play LB too, he'd probably on cover at CB but still it'd be better than a RB who looks to be just as flawed.

We won't see Lankaster or Nydam this season I reckon. I'd not put it past the injured lads to do a month or two on loan like Hyam did when he went to Rotherham.

I can still see Judge going in January when we are doing well and QPR offer us more than we can refuse.

I would hope if we’re going well in January we would be sensible enough to rebuff any advances for our players, particularly senior ones that might compromise our position. It would be very short termist to take £800k for Judge in Jan when promotion will inflate revenue by £8m a year. Obviously money talks, but Evans needs to hold strong in Jan. I also hope Lambert doesn’t add too many bodies, I felt he did that last season but in his defence that was a case of trying something new. I don’t think there was any value in signing the likes of Elder and Dawkins. We’re in a different spot now though, and hopefully there will be an element of ‘if it ain’t broke’ in Jan.

I agree with your point re. Donacien, I think he and Emmanuel are probably not going to feature a great deal but given his versatility, it’s probably favourable to retain JD.

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:34 - Aug 25 with 1905 viewsElephantintheRoom

Some morals and scruples would be nice. Also fewer loan players. I'd prefer not to see the ground used as an advertising hoarding for ticket touts - and having a betting smear on the shirt is worse than disgraceful. Other than that things are going more or less as expected surely? Not many expected Town to be anything other than 'in touch with the play offs' which they will be when the bolton result is expunged.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:38 - Aug 25 with 1884 viewsclive_baker

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:34 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

Some morals and scruples would be nice. Also fewer loan players. I'd prefer not to see the ground used as an advertising hoarding for ticket touts - and having a betting smear on the shirt is worse than disgraceful. Other than that things are going more or less as expected surely? Not many expected Town to be anything other than 'in touch with the play offs' which they will be when the bolton result is expunged.

Morals? How is the club immoral?

You’ve regularly shown yourself to be either as thick as pig sh1t, a scum supporter or utterly clueless about football. It’s nice to see you’re consistent at least.

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 09:46 - Aug 25 with 1855 viewsmrshallisfit

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:40 - Aug 25 by stewartm

Totally agree, nice to see a normal manager at the helm at Ipswich! Normal team building with a good balance (even on a 'tight as two coats of paint' Evans budget) I just hope people can see now that McCarthy had his results on the pitch but everything else was total b,,,,x concerning him and it looks like PL is finally repairing damage done in recent years.

I don't think you can class MM's transfer dealings as total bo##ocks. Waghorn, Webster, Garner, Mings, Berra, Bart. That is the spine of a team going up to the premiership for roughly 2 million quid.
Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:34 - Aug 25 with 1737 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 08:56 - Aug 25 by Mullet

I could see Emmanuel ending up back at Rotherham. Roberts will be surplus to requirements. I’d keep Donacien. He can play anywhere across the back 4 and is actually a decent one on one defender.

I’d like to see us get one more striker in an ideal world, perhaps a Premier League youngster until January to let Freddie get back up to speed.

Poll: Our final position

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:50 - Aug 25 with 1687 viewseddiespearitt03

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:34 - Aug 25 by southnorfolkblue

I could see Emmanuel ending up back at Rotherham. Roberts will be surplus to requirements. I’d keep Donacien. He can play anywhere across the back 4 and is actually a decent one on one defender.

I’d like to see us get one more striker in an ideal world, perhaps a Premier League youngster until January to let Freddie get back up to speed.

Get Freddie up to speed ? L O L.

We have a League One squad that will hopefully get us promotion but we are a long way off being a comfortable Championship squad.

What we,ll need is a big clear out and that includes Chambers,Skuse,Sears amongst others if we are to survive in the Championship should we get there. .
Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 12:25 - Aug 25 with 1633 viewsreusersfreekicks

We now have a huge squad, more than enough players for 2 teams. Without some going out we shouldn't recruit any more.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 12:28]
Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 10:52 - Aug 26 with 1377 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:50 - Aug 25 by eddiespearitt03

Get Freddie up to speed ? L O L.

We have a League One squad that will hopefully get us promotion but we are a long way off being a comfortable Championship squad.

What we,ll need is a big clear out and that includes Chambers,Skuse,Sears amongst others if we are to survive in the Championship should we get there. .

Getting rid of those players would leave us with a dangerously inexperienced squad. Chambers is our captain. Skuse has statistically been our best player this season and Sears contributed to 10 goals last season - miles more than anyone else.

I agree that none of them are the long term solution, but they are essential parts of this club. If we get back to the Championship, their know how will be invaluable.

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:04 - Aug 26 with 1368 viewsSomethingBlue

I think we're done. As long as Keane gets properly match fit we have a embarrassment of options pretty much everywhere and it should be enough to get us up.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Where do we need to strengthen most now? on 11:16 - Aug 26 with 1352 viewspointofblue

I’d argue we need a loan striker until January to cover off the absences of Sears and Lankester plus Keane isn’t match fit.

I’d like to see a left back come in as Kenlock needs more of a challenge for his position - IMO he’s gone backwards since Knudsen left - and it’s hardly Garbutt’s preferred position going by reports from Oxford. Can’t see it happening though.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024