Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst & Scunthorpe 00:46 - Aug 25 with 4103 viewsThe_Last_Baron

See Hurst and Doig are tearing it up at Scunthorpe, making their spell at Ipswich look decent. How long will they last?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 00:51 - Aug 25 with 4078 viewsOwainG1992

I quite like Scunny but I am enjoying seeing him struggle.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 02:42 - Aug 25 with 3954 viewsFifeITFC

We moan about people not letting go about talking about McCarthy, maybe we need to do the same with Hurst. I don't dislike him. It was just a bad mistake by the club employing him and it wasn't his fault he was out of his depth.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 02:54 - Aug 25 with 3950 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 02:42 - Aug 25 by FifeITFC

We moan about people not letting go about talking about McCarthy, maybe we need to do the same with Hurst. I don't dislike him. It was just a bad mistake by the club employing him and it wasn't his fault he was out of his depth.

I don’t like him tbh.

He came across very early on as an angry arrogant little man. The warning signs for me were there after Exeter away in the cup. Whether our players deserved a boll0cking that night or not, the manager stepping up a league shouldn’t be slagging his new players off to the press 2 games into the season.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:05 - Aug 25 with 3608 viewsStowmarketshrew

Yup, most Shrews enjoying his struggles too
Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:09 - Aug 25 with 3587 views3_5_2

Hopefully long enough to get them in the FA at home so we tell him exactly what we think and him and his time here

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:57 - Aug 25 with 3364 viewsRegencyBlue

No idea but if it carries on like this it can’t be long.

Their chances of getting another go at management if sacked early again would appear nonexistent as well.
Hurst & Scunthorpe on 09:04 - Aug 25 with 3340 viewstrncbluearmy

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:05 - Aug 25 by Stowmarketshrew

Yup, most Shrews enjoying his struggles too

Surprised you think like that he gave your club some great times and was never going to turn down a bigger club,shades of col u and their deluded fans
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 9:05]
Hurst & Scunthorpe on 09:56 - Aug 25 with 3165 viewsBerlinBlue

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:57 - Aug 25 by RegencyBlue

No idea but if it carries on like this it can’t be long.

Their chances of getting another go at management if sacked early again would appear nonexistent as well.

And yet they were a hair's breadth from getting Shrewsbury promoted from League One. There must be some talent and ability there somewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:11 - Aug 25 with 3008 viewsGarv

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 02:42 - Aug 25 by FifeITFC

Trouble is if he'd come across as a decent bloke and wasn't so bullish, he wouldn't get so much stick now.

I was excited to have a new manager but even in his first press conference you could see the arrogance. That in itself isn't a problem, but if it doesn't work out you can expect him to be criticized for it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:21 - Aug 25 with 2982 viewspointofblue

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:11 - Aug 25 by Garv

Trouble is if he'd come across as a decent bloke and wasn't so bullish, he wouldn't get so much stick now.

I was excited to have a new manager but even in his first press conference you could see the arrogance. That in itself isn't a problem, but if it doesn't work out you can expect him to be criticized for it.

Dare I say it but I think some fans wanted to see that arrogance and confidence is calling the squad out - especially towards the senior players who were “Mick’s men” and therefore seen as one of ‘them’ rather than part of ‘us’.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:39 - Aug 25 with 2938 viewsGarv

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:21 - Aug 25 by pointofblue

Dare I say it but I think some fans wanted to see that arrogance and confidence is calling the squad out - especially towards the senior players who were “Mick’s men” and therefore seen as one of ‘them’ rather than part of ‘us’.

That's definitely true. And to be fair I liked what he said about Knudsen and Chambers. Chambers admitted he knew his place was safe under Mick and maybe a change was needed in that respect.

I wonder how much of his press utterances were what he thought or what he thought people wanted to hear.

He talks about the club wanting to move away from journeymen and bring in lower league/youthful players, and he obviously did that. It just sounds so basic to think that's what Evans told him to do and he just went ahead and did it.

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 12:11 - Aug 25 with 2858 viewsDarth_Koont

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 11:39 - Aug 25 by Garv

That's definitely true. And to be fair I liked what he said about Knudsen and Chambers. Chambers admitted he knew his place was safe under Mick and maybe a change was needed in that respect.

I wonder how much of his press utterances were what he thought or what he thought people wanted to hear.

He talks about the club wanting to move away from journeymen and bring in lower league/youthful players, and he obviously did that. It just sounds so basic to think that's what Evans told him to do and he just went ahead and did it.

"move away from journeymen and bring in lower league/youthful players"

But we weren't going for journeymen before Hurst and we were developing the kids. I get the feeling that Hurst took the value out of the squad and spent it on almost a full team of lower league players, because he wanted to assert control. But it backfired terribly.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 12:14 - Aug 25 with 2843 viewsGarv

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 12:11 - Aug 25 by Darth_Koont

"move away from journeymen and bring in lower league/youthful players"

But we weren't going for journeymen before Hurst and we were developing the kids. I get the feeling that Hurst took the value out of the squad and spent it on almost a full team of lower league players, because he wanted to assert control. But it backfired terribly.

Fair point. I'm pretty sure those were his words.

Either way, it was an incredibly simplistic way of going about things. I'm sure Evans can take some blame here too.

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 12:24 - Aug 25 with 2801 viewsDarth_Koont

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 12:14 - Aug 25 by Garv

Fair point. I'm pretty sure those were his words.

Either way, it was an incredibly simplistic way of going about things. I'm sure Evans can take some blame here too.

It's Evans's strength and his weakness. He gives his managers responsibility and normally time too, which has only really worked for McCarthy if we're being honest.

Hurst's approach was so obviously misguided even in the first few weeks — he was effectively trying to parachute players (all of whom were making the step up) and hope they'd quickly become a team that could compete in the Championship. We might as well have used our own U23 players for that.

It was a rudderless mess. We still struggle with shape under Lambert but at least he got the tempo up. And it seems that a balanced team is even emerging now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 21:09 - Aug 25 with 2521 viewsStowmarketshrew

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 09:04 - Aug 25 by trncbluearmy

Surprised you think like that he gave your club some great times and was never going to turn down a bigger club,shades of col u and their deluded fans
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 9:05]

Hehe, no, not delusion, we all knew he was going to leave for some time before he did, few if any of us begrudged him that and all of us were captivated with the season he gave us, like no other in my 32 years of supporting a generally mediocre team. But, what rankled with most of us was the way he left, denying everything but, in fact, if rumours are to be believed, clearing his desk before our play off final loss. With a wife and son having Ipswich season tickets I actually wished him the best but many of us Shrews are taking great delight in his ineptitude since he left us.

Not sure what to expect Saturday, we've been very strong at the back in the two games I've been to this season, but utterly woeful when it comes to scoring, so my head says a a narrow defeat, my heart says we'll nick it!
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 21:11]
Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:53 - Aug 26 with 2095 viewsRegencyBlue

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 09:56 - Aug 25 by BerlinBlue

And yet they were a hair's breadth from getting Shrewsbury promoted from League One. There must be some talent and ability there somewhere.

Or he just got lucky once.

From everything you hear his management style is a bullying one. That can work for a while but, once it becomes obvious that’s all you’ve got, eventually gets found out.
Hurst & Scunthorpe on 09:24 - Aug 26 with 2012 viewsStowmarketshrew

Hurst & Scunthorpe on 08:53 - Aug 26 by RegencyBlue

Or he just got lucky once.

From everything you hear his management style is a bullying one. That can work for a while but, once it becomes obvious that’s all you’ve got, eventually gets found out.

There's no doubt he came to us with a very good pedigree, having done a very good job at Grimsby, and he clearly did something right but also had a huge slice of good fortune. We secured Dean Henderson and Ben Godfrey on loan that season, and it was quite obvious with both right away that they were Championship standard even then. He got lucky with a few signings (Nolan and Nsiala funnily enough, both journey men from Chesterfield and Hartlepool respectively. Somehow, and this is where the guy clearly had a pretty rare talent, he managed to make the team way more than the sum of the individual players, with at least two or three other pretty mundane league one journey men having the season of their lives.

His mistake was being naive enough to think that he could keep getting lucky with lower league players at championship level, but all my Ipswich supporting family plus the many Ipswich fans I work with where, without exception, delighted with his appointment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024