Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday 10:04 - Aug 26 with 5518 viewsurbanblue

They're all in a rage about it over here in Aus. They think that if the Umpire was unsure he should have given 'Out' so that Stokes would have reviewed and therefore it would have gone to DRS ....

... but he didn't

... Good!
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:09 - Aug 26 with 4669 viewsgainsboroughblue

The umpire wasn't unsure. He thought it was not out!

Australia completely lost the plot yesterday. Kept bowling the same balls and getting the same result. Field placings were questionable and allowed some easy singles. And as far the review they wasted, pure desperation.

That said, Stokes was beyond superhuman and deserves every bit of credit and luck that came his way.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:09 - Aug 26 with 4664 viewsbournemouthblue

Good, let's hope they suffer from Arsene Wenger syndrome and really let it get to them

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:11 - Aug 26 with 4661 viewsMattinLondon

Considering how much moaning and whining Aussies do I’ve always thought that it’s a bit of a cheek for them to call us whinging poms. Especially as many of them can’t take a joke and take themselves very seriously.
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:14 - Aug 26 with 4634 viewsHerbivore

Did anyone else think the ball tracking looked a bit off on that one? To the naked eye it didn't look plum, looked like it might be a bit leg side but the ball tracking looked naked on. The angle following the pitch of the ball didn't look right.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:15 - Aug 26 with 4625 viewsgainsboroughblue

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:14 - Aug 26 by Herbivore

Did anyone else think the ball tracking looked a bit off on that one? To the naked eye it didn't look plum, looked like it might be a bit leg side but the ball tracking looked naked on. The angle following the pitch of the ball didn't look right.

I thought it was going to be umpires call at best.

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:16 - Aug 26 with 4622 viewsGuthrum

They shouldn't have wasted their last review on a desperate punt (which pretty much nobody thought was out) shortly before. Indeed, that probably sowed the thought in the umpires' minds that such a ball was likely to be going down leg.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:19 - Aug 26 with 4612 viewsfactual_blue

First rule of umpiring 'If in doubt, give not out'.

A team with Sandpaper Steve in has no moral authority; the Aussie I met just before the World Cup hoped his team got beaten in both the World Cup and the Ashes, because Smith's behaviour (and I quote) 'isn't what we're about'.

Plus their colours are yellow and green.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:20 - Aug 26 with 4599 viewssparks

They are wrong in that- benefit of dount goes to batsman, and the fact that one side has reviews left or not should not come into that decision.

That said, the standard of umpiring in this series has been atrocious. The percentage of decisions overturned is extraordinary.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:23 - Aug 26 with 4571 viewsGuthrum

A spinning ball can easily straighten that much. They must have had some evidence after it pitched that that was happening.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:24 - Aug 26 with 4555 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Putin has hacked hawkeye....def info.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:25 - Aug 26 with 4549 viewsFtnfwest

Broad had a shocker from this umpire in the first innings. Difference being we hadn't blown our reviews on ridiculous punts in desperation. Actually think it might have been aleem dar in 2nd test?
[Post edited 26 Aug 2019 10:27]
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:45 - Aug 26 with 4424 viewsfactual_blue

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:11 - Aug 26 by MattinLondon

Considering how much moaning and whining Aussies do I’ve always thought that it’s a bit of a cheek for them to call us whinging poms. Especially as many of them can’t take a joke and take themselves very seriously.

You have to wonder about people who are proud to have a convict ancestor.

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:48 - Aug 26 with 4404 viewsartsbossbeard

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:19 - Aug 26 by factual_blue

A team with Sandpaper Steve in has no moral authority; the Aussie I met just before the World Cup hoped his team got beaten in both the World Cup and the Ashes, because Smith's behaviour (and I quote) 'isn't what we're about'.

I can confirm this.

At a bbq on the Gold Coast earlier this year and the cricket fans in attendance didn't want Smith or Warner anywhere near the ashes squad.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:06 - Aug 26 with 4325 viewsbluelagos

Looked plum to me, hit the back leg right in front of the stumps. Was expecting the finger to go up.

Still, the fact the Aussies threw away their last review a few balls earlier made it all the more pleasurable :-)

Have to be honest and admit we were pretty jammy though, what with the dropped catch and missed stumping.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:09 - Aug 26 with 4294 viewsgainsboroughblue

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:06 - Aug 26 by bluelagos

Looked plum to me, hit the back leg right in front of the stumps. Was expecting the finger to go up.

Still, the fact the Aussies threw away their last review a few balls earlier made it all the more pleasurable :-)

Have to be honest and admit we were pretty jammy though, what with the dropped catch and missed stumping.

Bizarre to think that the only test matches we have won this summer, have come from when we only managed double figures in our first innings.

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:13 - Aug 26 with 4277 viewsParisBlue

Having worked for a couple of Australian companies for 10 years from the early-mid 90s during which time we were regularly hammered in all sports (bar a couple of rugby victories in 95 and 03) this makes me happy :)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:19 - Aug 26 with 4229 views78convert

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:09 - Aug 26 by gainsboroughblue

Australia completely lost the plot yesterday. Kept bowling the same balls and getting the same result. Field placings were questionable and allowed some easy singles. And as far the review they wasted, pure desperation.

That said, Stokes was beyond superhuman and deserves every bit of credit and luck that came his way.

This test has proved that Paine is only captain in name and that Steve Smith when playing still calls all the shots re field placing,bowling rotations etc.
With Smith in the team England would have been blitzed out of this game by lunch yesterday.
That’s no reflection on Stokes’s magnificent performance but just goes to prove that the whinging Aussie cheats will manipulate things to their own end.
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:47 - Aug 26 with 4138 viewsSteve_M

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 10:09 - Aug 26 by gainsboroughblue

Not only those moments but there was a wide missed when Archer was batting. Would have been level by that point anyway.

The Aussies on the field, and those in the commentary box knew they had blown it and also that they had lost to something very special. Even Warne but then he bent a Test match his way at Adelaide in 2006 so appreciates Stokes' ability to do the same thing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:51 - Aug 26 with 4117 viewsRyorry

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:06 - Aug 26 by bluelagos

Swings & roundabouts all the time in all sports.

Questionable umpiring decisions in this series to date for both sides.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:56 - Aug 26 with 4105 viewsCaptMickMills

But then umpire's call would have disadvantaged England so had to go with what he thought. Poor umpire though.
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:58 - Aug 26 with 4093 viewsJohnny_Boy

'isn't what we're about'

I find that a bit hard to accept. They have more of a "Win At All Costs" mentality.
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 12:02 - Aug 26 with 4078 viewsSE1blue

Maradona’s hand of God

Lampard’s goal, not goal against Germany

Life sucks sometimes and it’s nice to be on the lucky side for a change.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 12:22 - Aug 26 with 4016 viewsfactual_blue

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 11:58 - Aug 26 by Johnny_Boy

'isn't what we're about'

I find that a bit hard to accept. They have more of a "Win At All Costs" mentality.

I'd say their mentality is 'fight hard, but fight fair'. A winning mentality, but not at any price.

That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 12:36 - Aug 26 with 3962 viewsmrshallisfit

To be fair though Paine has come across a thoroughly decent guy. Big improvement on Smith and Warner.
That lbw 'Not Out' on Stokes yesterday on 12:58 - Aug 26 with 3888 viewsRadlett_blue

If DRS had been around in 2005, Kasprowicz would probably have been given "not out" and England almost certainly would have lost the Ashes. Same as if Australia hadn't gone for a ridiculous review yesterday of a ball that had clearly pitched outside leg stump. But close cricket matches are often resolved by the odd marginal decision.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024