Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The demise of Bolton & Bury 18:57 - Aug 27 with 4407 viewsLeaky

Is it time for true football fans to boycott Sky., Match of the day any premier league programs until there is a fairer distribution of tv money down through the leagues. I have followed posts on this board & face book with fans all wishing Bury & Bolton all the best wishes that they survive. All from EFL clubs I havn't seen one from a fan of a premier league team. Ok most have never even been to a live football game but I feel now is the time for true foolball fans to make a stand. I also recognise that a lot of problems are self inflicted ie. chancing the premier league dream. In reality the wealth you gain from premier league riches is spent on silly money required to stay in it
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:01 - Aug 27 with 3820 viewshomer_123

I'm very likely in the minority here but enough is enough.

If the Clubs aren't viable they need to go. The EFL needs to kick them out....otherwise it makes the farce of football finances all the more acceptable.

People saying the it's not the fans fault...for sure they dont run the clubs but their expectations play a part....a very strong part. We only need to look at ourselves and our relationship with Evans to understand this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:03 - Aug 27 with 3803 viewsGlasgowBlue

Bolton did very well financially from Sky and the rest. They were badly managed off the pitch.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:04 - Aug 27 with 3787 viewshomer_123

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:03 - Aug 27 by GlasgowBlue

Bolton did very well financially from Sky and the rest. They were badly managed off the pitch.

And, therefore, how much leeway do you give?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:04 - Aug 27 with 3787 viewsCrawfordsboot

You are asking the stars of the game to share their income with the masses. I fear that is an unrealistic expectation. A bit like asking a rock star to fund the wages of a pub musician.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:07 - Aug 27 with 3770 viewsLeaky

Town did very well out of the Premier league we actually just missed on Champions league. however we still went into administration would have seen town go to the wall.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:08 - Aug 27 with 3766 viewshomer_123

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:04 - Aug 27 by Crawfordsboot

You are asking the stars of the game to share their income with the masses. I fear that is an unrealistic expectation. A bit like asking a rock star to fund the wages of a pub musician.

How much did Bton earn with European football...their time in the Prem and parachute payments.

This irks me greatly...the reason we....as a club....are where we are is ultimately down to Sheepshanks allowing Burley to go nuts of transfer and wage fees.

We paid the price....as we rightly should.

Why is it OK to shaft local businesses because you are a football club?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:10 - Aug 27 with 3749 viewsBlueBadger

That's mainly because their whole stratgey under 'model' chairman Phil Gartside was 'for god's sake don't get relegated'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:12 - Aug 27 with 3737 viewsGaryCooper

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:01 - Aug 27 by homer_123

If the Clubs aren't viable they need to go. The EFL needs to kick them out....otherwise it makes the farce of football finances all the more acceptable.

People saying the it's not the fans fault...for sure they dont run the clubs but their expectations play a part....a very strong part. We only need to look at ourselves and our relationship with Evans to understand this.

Without full details I feel a little sympathy for Bury, Bolton as a club not a chance, 10 years of premiership money gambled and gone.
Login to get fewer ads

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:14 - Aug 27 with 3714 viewsstrikalite

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:12 - Aug 27 by GaryCooper

Without full details I feel a little sympathy for Bury, Bolton as a club not a chance, 10 years of premiership money gambled and gone.

Bolton were £290m in debt 5 years ago, how on earth did it get to that figure?
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 3690 viewsbrogansnose

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:01 - Aug 27 by homer_123

In the case of Bury its not aall that cut and dried. Whilst clearly legal, the owner before Dale set a mortgage against the club to try and save his other property development business. Have a little skim though Homey, it ain't great.

In Boltons case, they spunked the money. At least Portsmouth got a FA cup out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/bury-takeover-cn-sporting-risk-
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:21 - Aug 27 with 3671 viewsTommyparker

What about BT & Amazon?
What about the forgien companies that have required rights to every PL game until 2022 are parting ways with a combined UK 4.2 billion up from the 3.1 UK billion during the previous three year cycle.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:34 - Aug 27 with 3610 viewsstainless

Companies from all different backgrounds go in to liquidation everyday. The largest causes are mismanagement and failing to adapt to changes in the market place, whats good business one year isn't necessarily good next year. Bolton failed to adapt to life outside the premier league and it's parachute payments. The blame for the demise of BWFC falls entirely on the shoulders of it's directors. Parachute payments were introduced to help clubs adapt to life outside the premier, sadly too many clubs look on it as a way to strengthen their squad so they can get back to the land of gold and if they don't succeed they end up going in to administration and expect sympathy. Enough is enough, Bury & Bolton have been given ample time to sort themselves out and failed, therefore they should both be expelled. Maybe that will be a lesson to a few other directors in the football league to get their houses in order.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:39 - Aug 27 with 3581 viewsSwansea_Blue

Their PL financial performance is a bit of a red herring, since those debts were written off when the club were sold in 2015. Also it can’t be judged against the current level of riches in the PL as they were in it at a time when wages were causing a lot of problems for most clubs. Only relatively recently have revenues outstripped wages allowing significant profits to be made:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:40 - Aug 27 with 3576 viewsPJH

Actually I have unilaterally decided to boycott the Premier League simply because I am almost totally disinterested in it.
The only live Premier League football I have watched this season was the Liverpool v Naarwich game which I said I would not start to watch until Liverpool were three goals ahead so I watched about the last hour of that.
I watched as much Championship football as I would last season (i.e. when I was not at any of the 46 ITFC league games that I went to)but I am strangely not interested too much in that either this season.
I am very much looking forward to Rangers v Celtic on Sunday though and I just might watch Arsenal v Spurs although if I do it will be with a lot less interest than I used to watch it with.
I do like to watch Man City if possible though but did not watch them on Sunday because I was watching the cricket.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:50 - Aug 27 with 3508 viewsITFC_Forever

What about Amazon, BT, all the overseas television companies?

Sky aren’t the only ones funding the situation.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:00 - Aug 27 with 3460 viewshomer_123

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:18 - Aug 27 by brogansnose

In the case of Bury its not aall that cut and dried. Whilst clearly legal, the owner before Dale set a mortgage against the club to try and save his other property development business. Have a little skim though Homey, it ain't great.

In Boltons case, they spunked the money. At least Portsmouth got a FA cup out of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/bury-takeover-cn-sporting-risk-

No...its not great at all but...what do you do. The EFL allowed them to own the clubs...nothing illegal undertaken and now it's a mess. Why should Bury FC get a free pass? Why is it OK to give 25p in the pound?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:14 - Aug 27 with 3393 viewsbrogansnose

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:00 - Aug 27 by homer_123

No...its not great at all but...what do you do. The EFL allowed them to own the clubs...nothing illegal undertaken and now it's a mess. Why should Bury FC get a free pass? Why is it OK to give 25p in the pound?

If anything comes out of all this, its that the EFL and the EPL need to sit down and truly write the rules of 'proper governance' and make football sustainable as possible. Certainly they didn't act in Bury's case. The governing bodies have been far too lax over matters like FFP and either they now act or we let the market forces take over, in an industry where most clubs lose money, and see other clubs go to the wall.

I'm not going to hold my breath on any of that and any of the clubs doing anything collectively.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:22 - Aug 27 with 3351 viewsFtnfwest

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:08 - Aug 27 by homer_123

How much did Bton earn with European football...their time in the Prem and parachute payments.

This irks me greatly...the reason we....as a club....are where we are is ultimately down to Sheepshanks allowing Burley to go nuts of transfer and wage fees.

We paid the price....as we rightly should.

Why is it OK to shaft local businesses because you are a football club?

Not forgetting Bolton then sullied the UEFA Cup having reached the last 16 by playing the reserves and getting knocked out.....to concentrate on the league
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:25 - Aug 27 with 3328 viewsSwansea_Blue

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:14 - Aug 27 by brogansnose

If anything comes out of all this, its that the EFL and the EPL need to sit down and truly write the rules of 'proper governance' and make football sustainable as possible. Certainly they didn't act in Bury's case. The governing bodies have been far too lax over matters like FFP and either they now act or we let the market forces take over, in an industry where most clubs lose money, and see other clubs go to the wall.

I'm not going to hold my breath on any of that and any of the clubs doing anything collectively.

A tightening up of the fit and proper test for potential owners would be a good start.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:52 - Aug 27 with 3242 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 22:08 - Aug 27 with 3126 viewsGuthrum

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:18 - Aug 27 by brogansnose

Good exposition of the tangled problems at Bury: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/27/bury-historic-club-football-lea

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 22:16 - Aug 27 with 3105 viewsGuthrum

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:25 - Aug 27 by Swansea_Blue

A tightening up of the fit and proper test for potential owners would be a good start.

If you tightened that up, there'd be far fewer people wanting to buy clubs. Quite a number seem to have come by their money through somewhat murky means - if they have any real funds at all (rather than just fiendishly convoluted debt networks).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 22:20 - Aug 27 with 3084 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 20:22 - Aug 27 by Ftnfwest

Not forgetting Bolton then sullied the UEFA Cup having reached the last 16 by playing the reserves and getting knocked out.....to concentrate on the league

To be fair, perhaps if Burley had done that we would not be where we are now.

PS: I am glad he didn't.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 22:31 - Aug 27 with 3057 viewsRIPbobby

Football did try and sort itself out with Financial Fair Play, but it just did not work.
The demise of Bolton & Bury on 00:17 - Aug 28 with 2969 viewsPhilTWTD

The demise of Bolton & Bury on 19:14 - Aug 27 by strikalite

Bolton were £290m in debt 5 years ago, how on earth did it get to that figure?

Because the previous owner, Eddie Davies, was willing to lend it to them in the manner ME lends to Town. That debt was written off a few years ago prior to Ken Anderson's takeover.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024