Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? 09:01 - Aug 28 with 30026 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:04 - Aug 28 with 5293 viewsSwansea_Blue

Right, revolution it is. Just got a few emails to deal with and then I'll join in.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:11 - Aug 28 with 5261 viewsGuthrum

If Johnson pulls a stunt like that, his government will last about 5 minutes after Parliament is subsequently reconvened.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:13 - Aug 28 with 5238 viewsDanTheMan

Surely not.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:15 - Aug 28 with 5224 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:04 - Aug 28 by Swansea_Blue

Right, revolution it is. Just got a few emails to deal with and then I'll join in.

Well this is all turning out swimmingly....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:17 - Aug 28 with 5210 viewsMullet

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:11 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

If Johnson pulls a stunt like that, his government will last about 5 minutes after Parliament is subsequently reconvened.

I really hope he is that stupid and arrogant. It would be nice to get our country back.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:17 - Aug 28 with 5201 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sorry to appear stoooopid.

What does that mean?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:20 - Aug 28 with 5183 viewsPJH

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:17 - Aug 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

What does that mean?

I think it basically means that for a brief period Prime Minister Johnson will become President Johnson and just do as he likes, bit like he is already doing.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:20 - Aug 28 with 5176 viewsfactual_blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:17 - Aug 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

What does that mean?

To suspend Parliament.

Welcome to a dictatorship.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:21 - Aug 28 with 5169 viewsfactual_blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:11 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

And the tories will become unelectable.

Sorry, I forgot how many stupid people there are.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:22 - Aug 28 with 5173 viewsGuthrum

What does that mean?

Boris Johnson's Cabinet (as effectively a quorum of the Privy Council) is asking the Queen to suspend the sitting of Parliament for a time, presumably until after October 31st.

Would prevent MPs attempting to block or delay a No Deal Brexit through votes in the Commons.

As far as I can remember, nobody has tried to do that since the 17th century.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:23 - Aug 28 with 5152 viewsMullet

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:22 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

Boris Johnson's Cabinet (as effectively a quorum of the Privy Council) is asking the Queen to suspend the sitting of Parliament for a time, presumably until after October 31st.

Would prevent MPs attempting to block or delay a No Deal Brexit through votes in the Commons.

I'm impressed you can remember the 17th century mate. Facters will be livid when his meds wear off.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:23 - Aug 28 with 5147 viewsPJH

and it did not work out too well in the 17th century.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:23 - Aug 28 with 5141 viewsHerbivore

And so the death of democracy continues apace. People need to take to the streets if this happens.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:24 - Aug 28 with 5144 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:21 - Aug 28 by factual_blue

And the tories will become unelectable.

Sorry, I forgot how many stupid people there are.

The party will probably split. There are plenty of Conservatives with enough respect for the House not to want to be part of that.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:24 - Aug 28 with 5140 viewsSwansea_Blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:15 - Aug 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well this is all turning out swimmingly....

It just needs someone with a good grasp of photoshop:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:25 - Aug 28 with 5133 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Thanks.

This should be interesting.

Can't see it working without being challenged.

Also, can the Queen just refuse to do it? "feck awf Boris!"

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:26 - Aug 28 with 5121 viewsPJH

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:25 - Aug 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thanks.

Good point, she should say "go away, I am on holiday".
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:27 - Aug 28 with 5109 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:23 - Aug 28 by PJH

and it did not work out too well in the 17th century.

It was actually Charles II who last did it, I believe. It worked for him because, in the aftermath of the Civil War and the Commonwealth, there was strong public feeling in his favour. Johnson is dealing with a divided country and trying to push through a minority policy (No Deal, as opposed to Brexit as a whole).

But you're right, it didn't go so well for Charles' father.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:32 - Aug 28 with 5055 viewsPJH

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:27 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

It was actually Charles II who last did it, I believe. It worked for him because, in the aftermath of the Civil War and the Commonwealth, there was strong public feeling in his favour. Johnson is dealing with a divided country and trying to push through a minority policy (No Deal, as opposed to Brexit as a whole).

But you're right, it didn't go so well for Charles' father.

Yes, I was only thinking in terms of the first Charles.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:32 - Aug 28 with 5055 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:25 - Aug 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Thanks.

It puts the Queen in a very awkward position, as the Privy Council are effectively her legal and constitutional advisors. Very difficult to refuse what they are suggesting.

She could, possibly, convene a meeting of the entire Privy Council, a much larger body of some 650 members (including senior Opposition MPs).

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:33 - Aug 28 with 5038 viewschicoazul

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:13 - Aug 28 by DanTheMan

Surely not.

Definitely happening.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:42 - Aug 28 with 4975 viewsSomethingBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:23 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

And so the death of democracy continues apace. People need to take to the streets if this happens.

Absolutely. In fact there needs to be civil disobedience on a massive scale. I fear this country in general is far too passive for that though.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:43 - Aug 28 with 4964 viewsDanTheMan

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:33 - Aug 28 by chicoazul

Definitely happening.

Just seen that it looks like it is.

Unbelievable.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:44 - Aug 28 with 4951 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:42 - Aug 28 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely. In fact there needs to be civil disobedience on a massive scale. I fear this country in general is far too passive for that though.

I'm going to get some like minded people together and head down to London whenever anything is happening. It needs to be on a big, visible scale. We can't just let this happen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:46 - Aug 28 with 4941 viewstractordownsouth

Boris Johnson is a fascist. I don’t throw that word around lightly, but bypassing our sovereign parliament to get through what he wants is quite literally the definition of fascism. It’s dictator-Esque stuff.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024