Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill 13:31 - Aug 28 with 1485 viewsBlueNomad

A number of people on here have somehow tried to compare the way Churchill became PM to legitimise Johnson's position. They are wrong.

Firstly Churchill never claimed something was undemocratic, such as Johnson's complaints in 2007, and then when he became PM do a 180 degree turn.

Churchill became PM and leader of a coalition government set up to try to secure national survival at a time of the country's greatest crisis. Johnson has become leader of a bunch of right wingers trying to keep votes from even more extreme right wingers even if it means taking this country into its greatest crisis since the one Churchill rescued us from!
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:36 - Aug 28 with 1456 viewsGuthrum

Johnson is legitimate because that is the way the system works. PM is an appointed position, not an elected one.

What is not legitimate is him abusing process in an attempt to circumvent a House of Commons in which he has little or no majority and stop them from debating and possibly overturning his policies.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:36 - Aug 28 with 1458 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Also, freely admitting I may be wrong, but didn't Churchill also support the idea of a union of European nations?
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:39 - Aug 28 with 1446 viewsBlueNomad

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:36 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

Johnson is legitimate because that is the way the system works. PM is an appointed position, not an elected one.

What is not legitimate is him abusing process in an attempt to circumvent a House of Commons in which he has little or no majority and stop them from debating and possibly overturning his policies.

I accept the legitimacy of Johnson's appointment as PM. He has, however, been very outspoken about how someone else became PM by the same route to the point of calling it undemocratic.
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:40 - Aug 28 with 1440 viewsBlueNomad

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:36 - Aug 28 by Decoy_Octopus

Also, freely admitting I may be wrong, but didn't Churchill also support the idea of a union of European nations?

Yep!
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:44 - Aug 28 with 1426 viewsSteve_M

As Tom Peck put it yesterday:

"He is, as ever, his own tragic Churchill tribute act. There was, to his great regret, no darkest hour waiting for him, so he switched off the lights himself."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-g7-summit-brexit-no-deal-biar

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:49 - Aug 28 with 1403 viewsGuthrum

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 13:36 - Aug 28 by Decoy_Octopus

He was very much in favour of that in the years after the War.

The diaries of Duff Cooper, ally of Churchill's and Ambassador to France from 1944, are quite explicit on the subject.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 14:01 - Aug 28 with 1373 viewsblueislander

“A million to one chance of us leaving the EU without a deal”
“Proroguing parliament is not being considered as an option”
Did Churchill mislead the people like this?
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 14:08]
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 14:04 - Aug 28 with 1363 viewsMullet

I guess if you take Churchill's worst facets such as his political opportunism, self-promotion, ability to switch positions and endanger himself/others to get a headline etc. you can make a case for it.

Maybe there's an equivalence with Winnie's alcoholism and Boris' affairs and the like too? I'd say the stuff which would be considered racist from Churchill was as much due to him being a man of his time, Boris however....

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 14:12 - Aug 28 with 1342 viewsjaykay

i think the only people comparing him to churchill are johnson himself and his ego

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 15:55 - Aug 28 with 1251 viewsMVBlue

The main figure pushing a comparison with Churchill would be Johnson himself. He has studied and written a book on the man. But he’s a pound shop Churchill. He thinks his fight is with the EU, but they are not our enemies. They are comprised of friends such as Sweden, Holland, Norway, Ireland, Poland amongst others.

Have you seen Boris little speech here where he talks of ‘new legislation’ needed. That’s got me worried. If there’s not a big protest before, well, there will be a huge one after 31 October sometime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 15:59 - Aug 28 with 1237 viewsNaylorsboots

Why are some people know it alls?
For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:03 - Aug 28 with 1237 viewsfactual_blue

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 15:59 - Aug 28 by Naylorsboots

Why are some people know it alls?

To compensate for all you know-nothings. (A nod to American political history there).
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 16:07]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:05 - Aug 28 with 1231 viewsfactual_blue

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 14:04 - Aug 28 by Mullet

I guess if you take Churchill's worst facets such as his political opportunism, self-promotion, ability to switch positions and endanger himself/others to get a headline etc. you can make a case for it.

Maybe there's an equivalence with Winnie's alcoholism and Boris' affairs and the like too? I'd say the stuff which would be considered racist from Churchill was as much due to him being a man of his time, Boris however....

How do you feel about the way he used to appear naked to female secretaries, who frequently had to take dictation from him whilst he was in the bath?

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:10 - Aug 28 with 1220 viewsNaylorsboots

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:03 - Aug 28 by factual_blue

To compensate for all you know-nothings. (A nod to American political history there).
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 16:07]

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:10 - Aug 28 with 1218 viewsfactual_blue

In May 1940 plans were drawn up for a Franco-British Union.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Jw_HQbUcobsC&pg=PA17&dq=churchill+union+brit

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:11 - Aug 28 with 1216 viewsfactual_blue

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:10 - Aug 28 by Naylorsboots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

balls

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:19 - Aug 28 with 1191 viewswkj

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:11 - Aug 28 by factual_blue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

balls

Ohhh yes

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:22 - Aug 28 with 1184 viewsMullet

For those trying to compare Johnson with Churchill on 16:05 - Aug 28 by factual_blue

How do you feel about the way he used to appear naked to female secretaries, who frequently had to take dictation from him whilst he was in the bath?

I thought that was an urban myth actually.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024