Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice 12:48 - Aug 29 with 1362 viewsurbanblue

Next month I'm leaving Australia with my 12 year old daughter for a big family reunion celebrating my Mum's 80th birthday at her home in Spain. At the end of the trip my daughter and I are spending 4 nights in Paris ... She wants to see the Eiffal Tower!!

Paris has never really been on my list since I went many, many years ago so I don't know much about it. Before I start hitting google and commencing my research I thought I'd ask you all for any tips or advice particularly on what area to stay in and indeed any decent reasonably priced hotels any of you may know of. A bit of life with cafes and small bars around would be good. Also any 12 year old friendly things to do or places to visit?

Cheers in advance ....
TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:06 - Aug 29 with 1319 viewsfooters

There's so much to do in Paris that it's sometimes hard to say! I'd recommend the Pompidou centre and to avoid the Louvre, it's been a hectic experience every time I've been and there's no chance to actually stop and look at the works properly.

One of the best things about Paris is, obviously, the food. Almost every cafe or restaurant you can find is great. Provided you're not a veggie! Oh, and stock up on grub at a supermarket too if you fancy some hedonistic hotel snacking.

I have no idea what would entertain a 12 year old so afraid I can't offer much advice on that!

You're going at a great time of year too. Enjoy, mate :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:35 - Aug 29 with 1288 viewsfactual_blue

' A bit of life with cafes and small bars around would be good'

That's most of Paris.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:37 - Aug 29 with 1281 viewschicoazul

Catacombs. Eat in the 11th arrondisement there's loads of great places to go there, and Le Train Bleu.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:37 - Aug 29 with 1276 viewsfactual_blue

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:06 - Aug 29 by footers

There's so much to do in Paris that it's sometimes hard to say! I'd recommend the Pompidou centre and to avoid the Louvre, it's been a hectic experience every time I've been and there's no chance to actually stop and look at the works properly.

One of the best things about Paris is, obviously, the food. Almost every cafe or restaurant you can find is great. Provided you're not a veggie! Oh, and stock up on grub at a supermarket too if you fancy some hedonistic hotel snacking.

I have no idea what would entertain a 12 year old so afraid I can't offer much advice on that!

Personally speaking, I love Paris in the springtime.

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:42 - Aug 29 with 1269 viewsfooters

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:37 - Aug 29 by factual_blue

Personally speaking, I love Paris in the springtime.

It's all right in spring. But I prefer to wait for summer. Round the 14th of June is a good time.

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:46 - Aug 29 with 1259 viewsurbanblue

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:06 - Aug 29 by footers

Thanks mate. I went to Paris before nearly 40 years ago as a teenager and it's all a drunken blur. I do remember though seeing the dawn in a bar opposite the Moulin Rouge when, having drunk myself nearly sober I announced that I was going to see the Mona Lisa. I don't know how, but on my own, I somehow found my way to The Louvre just as it opened, staggered through dozens of rooms, looked at the painting and promptly turned round and headed out!!

I also have a vauge memory of this nervous teenager having a failed encounter with ... ahem ... a woman of the night, in the Pigalle ...

I'm sure this trip will be very different!!!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 13:51]
TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:46 - Aug 29 with 1253 viewsfactual_blue

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:42 - Aug 29 by footers

It's all right in spring. But I prefer to wait for summer. Round the 14th of June is a good time.

Yes - it gets very busy on Bastille Day a month later.

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 13:54 - Aug 29 with 1241 viewsTractorWood

I usually stay in this gaff:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187147-d9604050-Reviews-Hotel_Saint_

I just wander around Paris eating and drinking. I always have breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien on Rue Des Martyrs:

https://www.lepainquotidien.com/fr/en/menu

Enjoy.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:11 - Aug 29 with 1213 viewsElephantintheRoom

Most 12 year olds would give the croissants, bitter coffee and rude service a miss and head for EuroDisney. Be a shame to go to Paris and not take in Versailles though.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:28 - Aug 29 with 1195 viewsurbanblue

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:11 - Aug 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Most 12 year olds would give the croissants, bitter coffee and rude service a miss and head for EuroDisney. Be a shame to go to Paris and not take in Versailles though.

The strange thing is that she didn't seem too bothered about Eurodisney which kinda suits me. I think she considers herself too old now though I could see her changing her mind once we are there.

One thing she is going to have to endure is that I want to see The Maison De Serge Gainsbourg. I am a massive fan and could not go to Paris without going there. Versailles looks great.

My daughter loves Croissants and I'm a coffehead so looks like we will have to endure the rude service.
TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:29 - Aug 29 with 1189 viewsSpruceMoose

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:28 - Aug 29 by urbanblue

The strange thing is that she didn't seem too bothered about Eurodisney which kinda suits me. I think she considers herself too old now though I could see her changing her mind once we are there.

One thing she is going to have to endure is that I want to see The Maison De Serge Gainsbourg. I am a massive fan and could not go to Paris without going there. Versailles looks great.

My daughter loves Croissants and I'm a coffehead so looks like we will have to endure the rude service.

Take her down into the catacombs. Only takes about an hour to get through them and if you're feeling adventurous you can lick a plaguey skull while the staff aren't watching.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:02 - Aug 29 with 1150 viewsEireannach_gorm

Go to the Rodin museum, its within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower.
TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:20 - Aug 29 with 1138 viewsSpruceMoose

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:02 - Aug 29 by Eireannach_gorm

Go to the Rodin museum, its within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower.

Pro tip - I believe the gardens are cheaper to get into than the museum, and a lot of the good stuff is outside anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:26 - Aug 29 with 1133 viewschicoazul

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 14:28 - Aug 29 by urbanblue

French coffee is terrible to be fair.
Rule of thumb; whatever the Italians do well the French do badly and vice versa.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:29 - Aug 29 with 1131 viewsDyland

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:26 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

French coffee is terrible to be fair.
Rule of thumb; whatever the Italians do well the French do badly and vice versa.

Except for wine and bread and cheese and footy. And what else actually is there? You silly sausage.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:34 - Aug 29 with 1120 viewsfooters

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:29 - Aug 29 by Dyland

Except for wine and bread and cheese and footy. And what else actually is there? You silly sausage.

He's been banging on this very strange theory for a while. He's wrong but just won't admit it.

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:40 - Aug 29 with 1117 viewsDyland

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:34 - Aug 29 by footers

He's been banging on this very strange theory for a while. He's wrong but just won't admit it.

Chickers has some very strange ideas. Probably been smoking too much doobage.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:50 - Aug 29 with 1102 viewschicoazul

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:29 - Aug 29 by Dyland

The Eyeties are rubbish at football now! I can't even name an Italian cheese. Edam? Fair point on the wine though but that's your area of expertise.

EDIT; oh wait Mozarella is one isnt it, although that's an ingredient more than a cheese.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 16:53]

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:56 - Aug 29 with 1093 viewsfooters

TWTD travel collective ... Paris advice on 16:50 - Aug 29 by chicoazul

The Eyeties are rubbish at football now! I can't even name an Italian cheese. Edam? Fair point on the wine though but that's your area of expertise.

EDIT; oh wait Mozarella is one isnt it, although that's an ingredient more than a cheese.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 16:53]

Your theory has more holes in it than Swiss cheese, buh!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024