Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change 11:33 - Aug 31 with 4515 viewspointofblue

https://news.sky.com/story/conservative-mp-david-davies-accuses-the-1975-of-hypo

As much as the Twitterati are predictably up in arms about it doesn’t he have a point?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:38 - Aug 31 with 803 viewspointofblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:28 - Aug 31 by manchego

No it doesn't.
Please link to where anyone said 'I can fly by plane and no one else can because eco / trees / blah / climate / more blah ...'

Quite rightly they wanted to push the climate change message by sailing to New York but it’s hardly helpful to that very message when they increase the carbon footprint to fly home. Why not sail back too?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:43 - Aug 31 with 803 viewsFtnfwest

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:50 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

I heard that Greta used paper to write her essay and that paper came FROM A TREE.

All credibility lost

It's the rest of us that's hypocritical for not individually chartering yacht when we want to go to the states
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:51 - Aug 31 with 794 viewsm14_blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:29 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

Disagree. I think suggesting people can't consider the source of the message is really odd.

There seems to be plenty of people quite happy to preach one thing and then do another. It seems to be more important to be seen to be caring rather than actually doing something. Not directing that at Greta, but it applies to plenty of others. Just yesterday a poster on here said we need to be doing everything we can and then a bit more. I asked what he did and it turns out he doesn't do much by the sounds of it.

It's not people looking for a way to ignore the problem IMO. It's just naturally quite irritating to be preached to by people who aren't taking the actions they suggest you do.

What would be better than people deciding they need to be the voice of tackling climate change is to hear some actual examples of how cutting out meat three days a week (etc) would help. How it would help to cut out 500 miles driving a year etc. Rather than being preached at by a band i've never heard of who are about to fly all around the world.

I know I will get replies about the message, not the messenger but surely you can see that preaching from the wrong people doesn't help. The woman who flew in from LA for the protests and then spent the week mouthing off about climate change springs to mind.

Lead with actions, not words.

Completely disagree. I think it’s absolutely a way of ignoring the problem.

All of the criticism in the media seems to come from a certain group of people who have no interest in tackling the ‘climate emergency’ at all, quite the opposite. Quite happy to be proved wrong though so please point me to the articles from other climate change activists attacking Greta Thunberg if they exist.

I’m not talking about people on here, but prominent people in the media who want to subvert the climate change message by attacking the messengers.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:06 - Aug 31 with 783 viewsjeera

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:57 - Aug 31 by m14_blue

If you think that damages the message then you haven’t understood the message.

She is trying to generate political momentum across the globe to tackle climate change, which is the only way it can possibly be effective.

How her crew flew home is utterly, utterly irrelevant. Unless you’re looking really hard for a way to discredit her with the sole intention of undermining her message.

A resounding 'this' ^

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:10 - Aug 31 with 777 viewsjeera

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:13 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

It damages the message because it creates a “Do what I say, not what I do” aura surrounding the journey through no fault of her own. As you say there enough opponents of climate change who will look to use anything to create a smokescreen and the use of flights etc. is not helping in that regard.

"It damages the message because it creates a “Do what I say, not what I do”."

If she was off on holiday with her mates, then yes.

Otherwise no. It's a small price in a bigger message.

It really is a non-point all round.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 14:14]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:18 - Aug 31 with 770 viewsfooters

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:10 - Aug 31 by jeera

"It damages the message because it creates a “Do what I say, not what I do”."

If she was off on holiday with her mates, then yes.

Otherwise no. It's a small price in a bigger message.

It really is a non-point all round.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 14:14]

Personal flights contribute such a small amount to global warming that people may as well say, "Don't criticise major polluters because you're breathing!"

These people simply want to delegitimise the arguments.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:22 - Aug 31 with 769 viewsStokieBlue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 12:19 - Aug 31 by GlasgowBlue

He’s right. But he’s the wrong person to say it as he’s a complete cunit

Agree but in the end the message, if correct and supported, should be what is important, not the source.

They are a bit ridiculous to shout about environmental issues and then fly everywhere to earn a few bob - especially as they will be flying first class which is more carbon intensive.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:25 - Aug 31 with 764 viewseireblue

Depends if you think taking a pop at a popular beat combo, is more important for an MP, than actually tackling climate change.

What will be the overall impact of their attempt at creating awareness and support?

No reason for him not to step up and set a better example, and make a bigger impact for good.
Login to get fewer ads

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:30 - Aug 31 with 752 viewseireblue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:29 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

Disagree. I think suggesting people can't consider the source of the message is really odd.

There seems to be plenty of people quite happy to preach one thing and then do another. It seems to be more important to be seen to be caring rather than actually doing something. Not directing that at Greta, but it applies to plenty of others. Just yesterday a poster on here said we need to be doing everything we can and then a bit more. I asked what he did and it turns out he doesn't do much by the sounds of it.

It's not people looking for a way to ignore the problem IMO. It's just naturally quite irritating to be preached to by people who aren't taking the actions they suggest you do.

What would be better than people deciding they need to be the voice of tackling climate change is to hear some actual examples of how cutting out meat three days a week (etc) would help. How it would help to cut out 500 miles driving a year etc. Rather than being preached at by a band i've never heard of who are about to fly all around the world.

I know I will get replies about the message, not the messenger but surely you can see that preaching from the wrong people doesn't help. The woman who flew in from LA for the protests and then spent the week mouthing off about climate change springs to mind.

Lead with actions, not words.

Do you have to be perfect, before you can be an advocate for something?

How do you define “preachy” vs being an advocate, or help in publicising, or simply being in favour of something and doing a little bit to help.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:37 - Aug 31 with 744 viewsmanchego

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 13:38 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

Quite rightly they wanted to push the climate change message by sailing to New York but it’s hardly helpful to that very message when they increase the carbon footprint to fly home. Why not sail back too?

Why not climate moaners sail everywhere ?
School run ? - Sail
Commute to work ? - become a crofter in the Highlands
Drive to the shops ? - use a skateboard, hypocrite.
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:52 - Aug 31 with 734 viewsStokieBlue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:37 - Aug 31 by manchego

Why not climate moaners sail everywhere ?
School run ? - Sail
Commute to work ? - become a crofter in the Highlands
Drive to the shops ? - use a skateboard, hypocrite.

"climate moaners".

Possibly one of the stupidest things I've read on here in a while and there is a lot of competition.

You are part of the problem.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 15:24 - Aug 31 with 721 viewsmanchego

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 14:52 - Aug 31 by StokieBlue

"climate moaners".

Possibly one of the stupidest things I've read on here in a while and there is a lot of competition.

You are part of the problem.

SB

you took all that on face value didn't you. including the stuff about skateboards.
awesome.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2019 15:25]
MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 15:34 - Aug 31 with 713 viewsSwansea_Blue

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 11:49 - Aug 31 by footers

Oh, no surprise to see it's David TC Davis, one of the biggest cockwombles going.

The missus has interviewed him, and yes I can confirm he is indeed one of the biggest cockwombles going.

He doesn’t have a point (or at best the absolute tiniest). Think how much influence a celeb can have via their fans and the media. The potential benefits outweigh their own carbon footprint thousands of times over.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

MP accuses the 1975 of hypocrisy over climate change on 17:34 - Aug 31 with 677 viewssolemio

Look on the bright side. Thank goodness no posters on TWTD ever fly. I'm sure, like me, they swim to the Continent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024