Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hong Kong 16:03 - Sep 1 with 923 viewsnoggin

The protests look like they are getting more violent every week. It will surely only end with large scale bloodshed. Neither side is going to give in, are they?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Hong Kong on 16:58 - Sep 1 with 891 viewsWeWereZombies

I was reading the Al Jazeera lead news item on this earlier, the Chinese may impose a state of emergency because of these demonstrators (some of whom are waving Union flags). The legislation they will use to do this, Emergency Regulations Ordinance, dates from 1922, i.e. drafted by Westminster...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Hong Kong on 02:29 - Sep 2 with 807 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

There's been quite a massive change these last 2 to 3 weeks with regards to public opinion, and no doubt this is what Beijing have been waiting for. Exactly the same happened in 2014 during occupy Central.

The big difference these last few weeks are the protesters moving radically towards more violent methods. Willful disruption of transport systems by vandalism. One could call them hooligans, but that would be against the western media description of this uprising.

Whilst the protests were peaceful, the majority of Hong Kongers gave them full backing, no matter what age or even political leaning. There was a swell of pride in the method, where 2 million people can march in peace without a single ounce of trouble. But that was 2 months ago, and there is a world of difference between where we were then, and where we are now.

The majority do not want this. The majority are happy with one country two systems. The majority understand we are part of China and must accept this. As long as we are self governing, with the right to freedom of speech, and a robust judicial system, we are ok with the future.

But it's the disillusioned youth who are speaking out, and it's this youth who are destroying the city their forefathers built. It's the youth who cannot see their future, so they fight for an ideal which is impossible to ever have.

I do not blame them. If anything I sympathise with them. But for the sake of the majority, it needs to stop now. Innocent people are being caught in the crossfire. We are all waiting for the first death, on either side. After which, Buddha help us, because they'll be no turning back.

There is now a groundswell of people who want the PLA to come in and tackle this problem, and that wasn't even entertained as a discussion point just 3 weeks ago.

The HK police are possibly one of the least prepared forces in the world to handle this. Up until 8 weeks ago, a vast majority of them had to spend their time dishing out traffic violations or tickets for jay-walking in one of the safest cities in the world. They are now suddenly caught in the middle of violent protests against people who genuinely want to hurt them.

If anything can help save this situation from escalating to a bloody finale, it is the public opinion. It is the everyday Hong Konger who will take back control of the city from the disenfranchised. It's peace and love which can return Hong Kong to sanity.

This is not a divisive issue. The majority of the 8m people living here remain together, and you could feel the tide as it turned the last 3 weeks. The majority were on the side of protests, that's why 2m of us marched just 8 weeks ago in peace. But that same majority is not on the side of the violent destruction. So for that reason, the protesters must retreat and come back again stronger with peaceful marches and messages.

No government has ever given in to violence, so to think these current methods will win anything is utter fallacy.

But to return to more peaceful methods, no matter how slow and painful it may be, this is what Hong Kong needs to do to have any chance of getting itself heard.

That, however, is a pipe dream, and has been lost on the few hooligans who fight for our cause, without our permission or support to do so.
Hong Kong on 07:22 - Sep 2 with 730 viewsElephantintheRoom

A taste of things to come here perhaps. If anyone cares about what passes for democracy in this country

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hong Kong on 09:34 - Sep 2 with 686 viewsOldsmoker

Hong Kong on 02:29 - Sep 2 by Hong_Kong_Bluey

There's been quite a massive change these last 2 to 3 weeks with regards to public opinion, and no doubt this is what Beijing have been waiting for. Exactly the same happened in 2014 during occupy Central.

The big difference these last few weeks are the protesters moving radically towards more violent methods. Willful disruption of transport systems by vandalism. One could call them hooligans, but that would be against the western media description of this uprising.

Whilst the protests were peaceful, the majority of Hong Kongers gave them full backing, no matter what age or even political leaning. There was a swell of pride in the method, where 2 million people can march in peace without a single ounce of trouble. But that was 2 months ago, and there is a world of difference between where we were then, and where we are now.

The majority do not want this. The majority are happy with one country two systems. The majority understand we are part of China and must accept this. As long as we are self governing, with the right to freedom of speech, and a robust judicial system, we are ok with the future.

But it's the disillusioned youth who are speaking out, and it's this youth who are destroying the city their forefathers built. It's the youth who cannot see their future, so they fight for an ideal which is impossible to ever have.

I do not blame them. If anything I sympathise with them. But for the sake of the majority, it needs to stop now. Innocent people are being caught in the crossfire. We are all waiting for the first death, on either side. After which, Buddha help us, because they'll be no turning back.

There is now a groundswell of people who want the PLA to come in and tackle this problem, and that wasn't even entertained as a discussion point just 3 weeks ago.

The HK police are possibly one of the least prepared forces in the world to handle this. Up until 8 weeks ago, a vast majority of them had to spend their time dishing out traffic violations or tickets for jay-walking in one of the safest cities in the world. They are now suddenly caught in the middle of violent protests against people who genuinely want to hurt them.

If anything can help save this situation from escalating to a bloody finale, it is the public opinion. It is the everyday Hong Konger who will take back control of the city from the disenfranchised. It's peace and love which can return Hong Kong to sanity.

This is not a divisive issue. The majority of the 8m people living here remain together, and you could feel the tide as it turned the last 3 weeks. The majority were on the side of protests, that's why 2m of us marched just 8 weeks ago in peace. But that same majority is not on the side of the violent destruction. So for that reason, the protesters must retreat and come back again stronger with peaceful marches and messages.

No government has ever given in to violence, so to think these current methods will win anything is utter fallacy.

But to return to more peaceful methods, no matter how slow and painful it may be, this is what Hong Kong needs to do to have any chance of getting itself heard.

That, however, is a pipe dream, and has been lost on the few hooligans who fight for our cause, without our permission or support to do so.

Good post Hong Kong Bluey.
You need to continue to post your insights to the board as the UK press has a different angle on this which is not surprising. They see it as a power struggle between ideologies where you quite rightly portray it as a peaceful protest hijacked by a group of radicals seizing their chance.
My concern is China acting on the "will of the people" - the "will of the people" being whatever they say it is.
A bit like what's happening here in the UK.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024