Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of 09:36 - Sep 2 with 5298 viewsartsbossbeard

We've seen 2 maybe even 3 teams come here and set up 2 banks of four and look to be difficult to break down and play a bit of counter attack.

Shrewsbury, in particular, didn't have a Plan B after the early goal or in fact a Plan C after the sending off. We are THAT big fish this season, we've got to expect plenty of teams to come here and potentially look to shut up shop and set up for damage limitation.

Probably got more chance of seeing more goals like our superb 3rd goal away from Portman Road this year where teams will have a go and space opens up.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 09:49 - Sep 2 with 4403 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. I missed that from my look at Shrews and particularly how automatic promotion teams play. They also "play" a more limited game because the opposition is also trying to contain and outbattle them more often than not.

Although, I don't think the Shrews were that scared of us or defensive even down to 10 men. Hopefully that will come more and more and we can see it as a measure of how well we're doing.

Pronouns: He/Him

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 09:54 - Sep 2 with 4358 viewsOldsmoker

It's a good measure of how other teams view us when they set up to counter our strengths rather than expose our weaknesses.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:07 - Sep 2 with 4277 viewsitfcjoe

I do think we are still some way off where we'd want to be though, and guess a lot of that is to do with availability of players.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:15 - Sep 2 with 4225 viewsStokieBlue

Ideally we will try and grab an early goal so teams can't just sit back. Easier said than done of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:39 - Sep 2 with 4135 viewsMrTown

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:07 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I do think we are still some way off where we'd want to be though, and guess a lot of that is to do with availability of players.

No team is off and flying to their peak after 6 games. Even more so off the back of a horrendous decline over the past 18 months.

I remember Norwich looking oh so ordinary last year, but the momentum they have hit, with good recruitment has worked out very well for them. Good side now.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:41 - Sep 2 with 4126 viewsxrayspecs

While Shrewsbury were organised, they were good in possession and created a number of chances. With a bit more quality/luck they could have had a couple of goals.

Agree that lots of team will simply try and stop us playing. Whether we have enough quality/creativity up top and in the wide midfield positions will determine how many teams we can unlock.
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:52 - Sep 2 with 4079 viewsitfcjoe

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:39 - Sep 2 by MrTown

No team is off and flying to their peak after 6 games. Even more so off the back of a horrendous decline over the past 18 months.

I remember Norwich looking oh so ordinary last year, but the momentum they have hit, with good recruitment has worked out very well for them. Good side now.

I think there is an underlying malaise that eneds to be cleared and is being cleared at the moment, and hopefully we can begin to find out what we want to do from a position of strength at the top of the league because I do think we'll end up in some form of 4231 or 433.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:55 - Sep 2 with 4060 viewsbritbiker

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:52 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I think there is an underlying malaise that eneds to be cleared and is being cleared at the moment, and hopefully we can begin to find out what we want to do from a position of strength at the top of the league because I do think we'll end up in some form of 4231 or 433.

Just hope us as fans dont start getting frustrated on the occasions when we can't break teams down easily. Teams will start to see one point at PR as a good result.
Login to get fewer ads

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:00 - Sep 2 with 4028 viewsHerbivore

I think for me the thing that's been quite noticeable is that we're not great at controlling the game and keeping possession. I'd like to see us get better at that. Saturday was all quite scrappy and frantic and whilst the scoreline was comfortable I never felt like we were bossing the game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:06 - Sep 2 with 3986 viewsBryanPlug

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:55 - Sep 2 by britbiker

Just hope us as fans dont start getting frustrated on the occasions when we can't break teams down easily. Teams will start to see one point at PR as a good result.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:15 - Sep 2 with 3953 viewsIpswichKnight

No surprise to me that we went after Shrewsbury early to get the goal and stop that 2 banks of 4.

What else I noticed was that they defended narrow and we hit several high cross field balls behind the full backs for our own full backs or wingers to run onto this dragged the big lumbering oafs at centre backs into play and they did not want a foot race with anyone.
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:15 - Sep 2 with 3950 viewsbritbiker

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:06 - Sep 2 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

It is surprising how quick we as fans go from being a supporter of a perenial struggling team to one that expects to win easily in this division.

I agree that we need and should be looking to get back to Div 2 at the first opportunity, but I also remember just how bad we have been against perceived lower opposition in the last decade. I think most of our regular fans understand it but im sure many of those returning expect to win and be entertained.
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:19 - Sep 2 with 3935 viewsGarv

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:00 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

I think for me the thing that's been quite noticeable is that we're not great at controlling the game and keeping possession. I'd like to see us get better at that. Saturday was all quite scrappy and frantic and whilst the scoreline was comfortable I never felt like we were bossing the game.

Rock 'n' roll football

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 13:47 - Sep 2 with 3754 viewsreusersfreekicks

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:07 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

Agreed - i think with the players we have we can play much better. Shrewsbury opened us up a few times and strongly tested Holy even when down to 10 men
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 13:58 - Sep 2 with 3726 viewsbluelady

Aren't the best teams those that even when not at their best win games? The old Ipswich would have struggled to break teams down, but we do have wingers, at least one full back that can burst forward and pace up front, so we are now a team that can win on the counter.

I do believe there is far more to come BUT we were bottom of the league, devoid of confidence and pretty much the same team (other than 1 or 2 signings) so as the confidence starts to return so will the performances. 8 goals for and 0 against in two games is a pretty good result :-)
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:07 - Sep 2 with 3698 viewstextbackup

I’ve not counted, but I’d hazard a guess a few of our goals have been from counter attacks. Especially now KVY is of that right hand side, can see plenty more coming

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:10 - Sep 2 with 3674 viewsDurovigutum

Maybe I'm just getting old, but on the occasions I could get to FPR in the late 90's and early 200x's when the Burley team was flying we would see many teams turn up with a deep 4-4-2 and just sit back to play for a draw. I seem to remember that was why we went 3-5-2 many times, trying to create a bit of space out wide. We will have to get used to it again I suspect as teams will see our results and not try to be particularly ambitious.

That said, Shrewsbury didn't come to defend. As you go up (or down) the levels of football the difference is often the ability of a higher placed team to take advantage of the mistakes that their opponent makes and last season at least of of their chances would have been taken by the players in a top Championship team.
This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:15 - Sep 2 with 3652 viewsHerbivore

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:19 - Sep 2 by Garv

Rock 'n' roll football

Not sure about that.

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:17 - Sep 2 with 3636 viewstextbackup

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 11:00 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

APart from the 4/5 times we had the ball for 20-40 passes u mean?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:17 - Sep 2 with 3637 viewsartsbossbeard

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:10 - Sep 2 by Durovigutum

Maybe I'm just getting old, but on the occasions I could get to FPR in the late 90's and early 200x's when the Burley team was flying we would see many teams turn up with a deep 4-4-2 and just sit back to play for a draw. I seem to remember that was why we went 3-5-2 many times, trying to create a bit of space out wide. We will have to get used to it again I suspect as teams will see our results and not try to be particularly ambitious.

That said, Shrewsbury didn't come to defend. As you go up (or down) the levels of football the difference is often the ability of a higher placed team to take advantage of the mistakes that their opponent makes and last season at least of of their chances would have been taken by the players in a top Championship team.

Swindon would be a great example in the Burley years.

They just wanted the game over and done with and with limited goals against.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:58 - Sep 2 with 3591 viewsHerbivore

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:17 - Sep 2 by textbackup

APart from the 4/5 times we had the ball for 20-40 passes u mean?

Did we? I'm not sure about that.

Look, we carry a genuine threat going forward and that's great. For me though we're still quite scrappy and I'm not entirely sure what our style of play is. We look like a side that's not really clicked. The positive is that despite that we are winning games and scoring goals, so all good on that front. I'm sure the performances will improve as confidence grows and the team gels further.

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 15:08 - Sep 2 with 3559 viewsDarth_Koont

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 14:58 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Did we? I'm not sure about that.

Look, we carry a genuine threat going forward and that's great. For me though we're still quite scrappy and I'm not entirely sure what our style of play is. We look like a side that's not really clicked. The positive is that despite that we are winning games and scoring goals, so all good on that front. I'm sure the performances will improve as confidence grows and the team gels further.

Indeed. Winning comfortably while not playing all that well overall should give Lambert and the squad a huge confidence boost.

Pronouns: He/Him

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 15:11 - Sep 2 with 3549 viewsRyorry

Dunno why, but your headline made me think of Boris :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 15:23 - Sep 2 with 3502 viewsMrTown

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 10:52 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I really can't see a point in changing something that is clearly working for us.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

This "we're winning but not playing well" line I'm seeing a lot of on 15:33 - Sep 2 with 3481 viewsSouperJim

Shrews came to spoil, frustrate, kick us etc. Unfortunately for them, that all fell apart once we were 2-0 up within 10 minutes.

Second half in particular was one-way traffic from the ref because they had spent the first half trying to kick us. Essentially their entire game plan failed spectacularly.

I agree that we look like we can go up a gear or two yet, it'll come the more games the team play, partnerships are strengthened etc, but at the minute we look like we have enough to beat sides regardless. Despite how difficult it can be to play flowing football when teams come and park the bus.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024