Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick Mills 10:35 - Sep 2 with 7436 viewsitfcjoe

Crazy to think he has an appearnce record that no player is ever likely to get near for us - 741 appearances, including 737 starts.

But yet he was sold when we were stikll in the 1st division, and went on to make a further 123 appearances for them, then another 44 games at Stoke - well over 900 appearances as a player.

Why did we sell him? Seems a strange decision to sell him a few months after he'd captained England at the World Cup? Presumably we needed the money as Robson's team fell apart?

He could quite easily have made 1000 appearances for ITFC had he stayed.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick Mills on 10:36 - Sep 2 with 4509 viewsITFC_Forever

Robson left, the new stand was built and the side broke up to pay for it.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Mick Mills on 10:37 - Sep 2 with 4493 viewsGuthrum

That is quite fantastic, albeit in a time of smaller squads and little "rotation". Also says a lot for his fitness and resistance to injury.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mick Mills on 10:45 - Sep 2 with 4443 viewsPJH

Mick Mills on 10:36 - Sep 2 by ITFC_Forever

Robson left, the new stand was built and the side broke up to pay for it.

I think that is about it.

I don't think Mick Mills really wanted to go but Bobby Ferguson let it be known that he thought that he was expendable.

Millsy originally agreed to sign for Sunderland I think but backed out of that when Southampton came in for him.

This thread gives me yet another chance to say that in my opinion Mick Mills was our best ever RB, our best ever LB and our best ever captain.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 11:02]
Mick Mills on 10:49 - Sep 2 with 4385 viewsitfcjoe

Mick Mills on 10:37 - Sep 2 by Guthrum

That is quite fantastic, albeit in a time of smaller squads and little "rotation". Also says a lot for his fitness and resistance to injury.

It's an incredible record, he played the following amount of games per season

Left half way through that last season and played a further 28 games for Southampton so 43 in total, then 41, and 54 games.

If you discount his first few seasons when breaking into the team he played 744 games across 16 seasons - an average of 46.5 games per season

Mick Mills on 10:49 - Sep 2 with 4380 viewshomer_123

Mick Mills on 10:37 - Sep 2 by Guthrum

He talked about this the other week.

They weren't 'over trained' and by all accounts his managers were open to him being able to say 'I need a rest' and therefore managed him, his fitness which all contributed to him being able to play as much as he did.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mick Mills on 10:49 - Sep 2 with 4384 viewsChurchman

I may be wrong, but I think he was given a free transfer. His going subsequently proved of course to be a big mistake. Thank you Bobby Ferguson.

Mills’ record at ITFC was amazing. A good, solid versatile full back who could also play in midfield. 42 appearances for England and Captained the team at the 82 World Cup. If anyone deserved a statue it was him. He wasn’t exactly the most exciting of players (and is a boring commentator), especially highlighted by the players around him in Robson’s three great teams and that is why he hasn’t received more recognition.

But no player has contributed more to Ipswich Town in my view.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 10:55]
Mick Mills on 10:52 - Sep 2 with 4359 viewsGeoffSentence

Mick Mills on 10:45 - Sep 2 by PJH

I don't think Mick Mills really wanted to go but Bobby Ferguson let it be known that he thought that he was expendable.

Millsy originally agreed to sign for Sunderland I think but backed out of that when Southampton came in for him.

This thread gives me yet another chance to say that in my opinion Mick Mills was our best ever RB, our best ever LB and our best ever captain.

He also had the most wonderful upright posture and was always immaculately turned out.

A fine man and example to the rest of us.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick Mills on 10:54 - Sep 2 with 4349 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Mick Mills on 10:49 - Sep 2 by Churchman

I may be wrong, but I think he was given a free transfer. His going subsequently proved of course to be a big mistake. Thank you Bobby Ferguson.

Mills’ record at ITFC was amazing. A good, solid versatile full back who could also play in midfield. 42 appearances for England and Captained the team at the 82 World Cup. If anyone deserved a statue it was him. He wasn’t exactly the most exciting of players (and is a boring commentator), especially highlighted by the players around him in Robson’s three great teams and that is why he hasn’t received more recognition.

But no player has contributed more to Ipswich Town in my view.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 10:55]

He along with Beattie and Wark and possibly Burley are players who deserve serious recognition. Beattie has a statue now, we cant keep making statues.

Mick Mills Stand ??
John Wark Wall ??
George Burley Bar??

What are we going to do for these players??

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick Mills on 10:56 - Sep 2 with 4316 viewsBrightonBlue

Hello Mick!;)

"Millsy originally agreed to sign for Sunderland I think but backed out of that when Southampton came in for me."
Mick Mills on 10:57 - Sep 2 with 4303 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick Mills on 10:49 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

It's an incredible record, he played the following amount of games per season

Left half way through that last season and played a further 28 games for Southampton so 43 in total, then 41, and 54 games.

If you discount his first few seasons when breaking into the team he played 744 games across 16 seasons - an average of 46.5 games per season

Given his leg length, he'll have run double the amount of steps as anyone else too!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick Mills on 10:58 - Sep 2 with 4296 viewsGeoffSentence

Mick Mills on 10:54 - Sep 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

He along with Beattie and Wark and possibly Burley are players who deserve serious recognition. Beattie has a statue now, we cant keep making statues.

Mick Mills Stand ??
John Wark Wall ??
George Burley Bar??

The Burley Bar is a good one, very appropriate.

Perhaps every Christmas Season, maybe in the Fan Zone, the club could put on a Warky Wonderland.

And for Mick Mills, given his insightful but ever so slightly dull punditry on Radio Suffolk, maybe the club could sell a Mick Mills Drone in Planet Blue.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick Mills on 10:58 - Sep 2 with 4299 viewsitfcjoe

Mick Mills Stand ??
John Wark Wall ??
George Burley Bar??

I've obviously not seen Beattie play, but if you were looking at the 'stats' of everything you'd surely say that Warky and Mills were are best ever players with the whole package of everything.

Both there for the 2 big cup wins, both loyal servants, both with stacks of games (and goals in Warky's case), Mills captain for 2 of our 3 finest days.

A shame that there wasn't able to be some sort of combined statue of the 3 of them, something like the Everton holy trinity one, which would incorporate the 3 trophies too.

Warky scoring that volley in the UEFA final, Beattie doing his header and Mills in that classic pose holding the UEFA Cup with potentially the FA Cup there too.

Mick Mills on 11:00 - Sep 2 with 4278 viewshomer_123

Mick Mills on 10:58 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I've obviously not seen Beattie play, but if you were looking at the 'stats' of everything you'd surely say that Warky and Mills were are best ever players with the whole package of everything.

Both there for the 2 big cup wins, both loyal servants, both with stacks of games (and goals in Warky's case), Mills captain for 2 of our 3 finest days.

A shame that there wasn't able to be some sort of combined statue of the 3 of them, something like the Everton holy trinity one, which would incorporate the 3 trophies too.

Warky scoring that volley in the UEFA final, Beattie doing his header and Mills in that classic pose holding the UEFA Cup with potentially the FA Cup there too.

Warky in todays market would be one of the most expensive players in the world.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Mick Mills on 11:01 - Sep 2 with 4273 viewsChurchman

Mick Mills Stand ??
John Wark Wall ??
George Burley Bar??

I would add Paul Mariner to that little lot. A wonderful player. Skilful, quick, strong, unselfish, brave, goals in him. He had the lot.

Back to Mills, your are right. We could wind up with a Terracotta Army of players outside the ground.
Mick Mills on 11:01 - Sep 2 with 4262 viewsSuperfrans

Any Town fan could not fail to agree with your last sentence, I suspect. He was Robson's lieutenant on the pitch, a constant from Robson's first year as our manager through to the last.

It is one of the only question marks for me surrounding the Beattie statue. The Beat was an immense player and, as the first player from that era that we have lost, there was understandable outpouring of emotion about his death last year. And, to be clear, I supported the statue and backed it by contributing to the fund.

But, Mills was as much of a colossus at the club, as was Wark. And the Dutchmen. Arguably also Ted and Ray. Mariner. Osborne, in his own way. All of them are genuine legends of Portman Road.

We are fortunate in having had a large number of huge players represent the club. I do worry how we are going to pay tribute to all of them.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick Mills on 11:02 - Sep 2 with 4257 viewsPJH

Mick Mills on 10:56 - Sep 2 by BrightonBlue

Hello Mick!;)

"Millsy originally agreed to sign for Sunderland I think but backed out of that when Southampton came in for me."

Did I type that?

Edit needed.
Mick Mills on 11:02 - Sep 2 with 4256 viewsSuperblue95

Mills must have thought a lot of you

Edit: Oops too slow
[Post edited 2 Sep 2019 11:03]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Mick Mills on 11:06 - Sep 2 with 4216 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Mick Mills on 10:58 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I still stand by the idea that we should have a big wall of fame outside the ground. Not the same as the players in the hall of fame, but something you could actually see and go up to outside the ground, maybe carved in.

It could acknowledge the teams of Bobby and then other players who are exceptional, Holland etc

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Mick Mills on 11:12 - Sep 2 with 4162 viewsChurchman

Mick Mills on 11:01 - Sep 2 by Superfrans

Any Town fan could not fail to agree with your last sentence, I suspect. He was Robson's lieutenant on the pitch, a constant from Robson's first year as our manager through to the last.

It is one of the only question marks for me surrounding the Beattie statue. The Beat was an immense player and, as the first player from that era that we have lost, there was understandable outpouring of emotion about his death last year. And, to be clear, I supported the statue and backed it by contributing to the fund.

But, Mills was as much of a colossus at the club, as was Wark. And the Dutchmen. Arguably also Ted and Ray. Mariner. Osborne, in his own way. All of them are genuine legends of Portman Road.

We are fortunate in having had a large number of huge players represent the club. I do worry how we are going to pay tribute to all of them.

I’d add in Terry Butcher and Allan Hunter. And what about the 1962 Champions (Crawford and Phillips have already been mentioned).

Perhaps of there is a little bit of spare stone left over, a 1-1 size Micky Stockwell for the corner of the Burley Bar. He was only little. 506 appearances over 15 years.
Mick Mills on 11:23 - Sep 2 with 4104 viewschicoazul

Always felt like Mick is not high profile enough really. He captained England at a world cup as an Ipswich player!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick Mills on 11:50 - Sep 2 with 3983 views70s_Legend

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/ipswich-town-fc/mick-mills-8986/biograph

"Bobby Robson had been keen to sell him to Sunderland towards the end of the 81-82 campaign, and it was clear that no new contract would be forthcoming as Ipswich were beset by financial problems. Mills began 1982-83 as captain but soon bowed to the inevitable and reluctantly moved on. His transfer to Southampton in November 1982 for £40, 000 brought to an end an Ipswich career spanning 17 years and 741 appearances, a record unlikely to be beaten in a hurry."
Mick Mills on 11:59 - Sep 2 with 3924 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Mick Mills on 11:50 - Sep 2 by 70s_Legend

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/ipswich-town-fc/mick-mills-8986/biograph

"Bobby Robson had been keen to sell him to Sunderland towards the end of the 81-82 campaign, and it was clear that no new contract would be forthcoming as Ipswich were beset by financial problems. Mills began 1982-83 as captain but soon bowed to the inevitable and reluctantly moved on. His transfer to Southampton in November 1982 for £40, 000 brought to an end an Ipswich career spanning 17 years and 741 appearances, a record unlikely to be beaten in a hurry."

And there was talk he was upset not to be a candidate to be Manager I believe?
Mick Mills on 12:05 - Sep 2 with 3879 viewsBloomBlue

We've always been a selling club
Mick Mills on 12:11 - Sep 2 with 3865 views70s_Legend

Mick Mills on 11:59 - Sep 2 by CBMTOBWMMBG

And there was talk he was upset not to be a candidate to be Manager I believe?

Bit more on Mick's thoughts here

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/one-of-management-s-nearly-men-1-208741
Mick Mills on 12:14 - Sep 2 with 3823 viewshoppy

Mick Mills on 11:12 - Sep 2 by Churchman

I’d add in Terry Butcher and Allan Hunter. And what about the 1962 Champions (Crawford and Phillips have already been mentioned).

Perhaps of there is a little bit of spare stone left over, a 1-1 size Micky Stockwell for the corner of the Burley Bar. He was only little. 506 appearances over 15 years.

At least we won't have to see if we've got enough stone to recreate Jaime Peters' rather ample backside...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024