Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammond drops a bomb shell 08:29 - Sep 3 with 2630 viewsunstableblue

Basically stated that the UK government is lying about EU negotiations, and in fact has a strategy of allowing them to fail as within the ridiculous timeframe. There is actually no formal negotiating team, and critically there are no substantive proposals on the table with Brussels.

Amazing how all these Leave figures and the unaccountable Farage campaigned on a Brexit with a deal, admitting the importance of a strong agreement with our largest market. Suggesting it would be easy - Are now driving us in this direction.

Crazy times.... all massively damaging... and all fairly pointless.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:05 - Sep 3 with 2506 viewsSwansea_Blue

What is it about Blue Passports you don't understand?

I hadn't seen that - I'll do my tour of the news now to see what's been said.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:15 - Sep 3 with 2474 viewsSwansea_Blue

OK, see it was a Radio 4 interview this morning. Presumably covering the same ground as this Torygraph piece from last night?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/02/no-deal-brexit-looms-leak-reveal

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:19 - Sep 3 with 2439 viewsblueislander

It is blindingly obvious that the government has no viable proposals to put to the EU to get a deal. They will, of course, blame the EU and the MPs who voted to prevent a no deal exit.This is a massive lie from the government, but those who want to believe it will.
Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:25 - Sep 3 with 2393 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:19 - Sep 3 by blueislander

It is blindingly obvious that the government has no viable proposals to put to the EU to get a deal. They will, of course, blame the EU and the MPs who voted to prevent a no deal exit.This is a massive lie from the government, but those who want to believe it will.

Yep. The backstop paradox has been there since the start. If there were workable proposals to avoid the backstop there wouldn't be the need for a backstop. Everything else around this is just spin, bullsh*t and playing to their supporters.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:37 - Sep 3 with 2355 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not quite as damaging as holding a referendum without knowing how parliament works, nor having any understanding of the good friday agreement which is what posh dave complacently did. Eton doesn't come out of this mess too well.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:44 - Sep 3 with 2299 viewsfooters

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:37 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Not quite as damaging as holding a referendum without knowing how parliament works, nor having any understanding of the good friday agreement which is what posh dave complacently did. Eton doesn't come out of this mess too well.

An Eton mess?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:46 - Sep 3 with 2292 viewsEly_Blue

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:37 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

That’s and understatement in the extreme!

The Tories in general don’t come out of this looking very good at all and if we get a GE in the next few weeks I suspect Boris will be gone and they will be out of power

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:13 - Sep 3 with 2142 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 09:46 - Sep 3 by Ely_Blue

That’s and understatement in the extreme!

The Tories in general don’t come out of this looking very good at all and if we get a GE in the next few weeks I suspect Boris will be gone and they will be out of power

Not sure there can be a happy ending either way. Johnson is clearly hoping to win a number of labour seats on a 'it's me and the people v parliament ticket'. His gamble is that what passes for democracy in this country is based on a few swing seats. The Jockos will go SNP so he's lost those seats, a few tory seats will be mopped up by the lib dems - and most seats will stay the same, as they always do. N Ireland could be interesting IF the country which will be most affected by no deal insanity wants to unseat some fascists who have done so much damage to them and us all - and the ira sympathisers who wont take their seats - but the impasse in their devolved parliament shows deeply ingrained bigotry beats common sense and pragmatism every time. Best solution is probably a government of national unity for the next few years and a delayed general election. Which could still happen if you ignore the reality that MPs are in it for themselves

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:19 - Sep 3 with 2120 viewsRyorry

Was pretty obvious, not a bombshell, to quite a few of us methinks!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:24 - Sep 3 with 2101 viewsRyorry

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:13 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Not sure there can be a happy ending either way. Johnson is clearly hoping to win a number of labour seats on a 'it's me and the people v parliament ticket'. His gamble is that what passes for democracy in this country is based on a few swing seats. The Jockos will go SNP so he's lost those seats, a few tory seats will be mopped up by the lib dems - and most seats will stay the same, as they always do. N Ireland could be interesting IF the country which will be most affected by no deal insanity wants to unseat some fascists who have done so much damage to them and us all - and the ira sympathisers who wont take their seats - but the impasse in their devolved parliament shows deeply ingrained bigotry beats common sense and pragmatism every time. Best solution is probably a government of national unity for the next few years and a delayed general election. Which could still happen if you ignore the reality that MPs are in it for themselves

Paradoxically, I (lifelong Labour supporter & voter who's said I'd never vote Labour again whilst JC's leader) would certainly vote Labour in this situation right now if I thought it would oust Boris. Probably pointless in my constituency with a Tory majority of c14K+, where a LD tactical vote would work out better, but if others like me in closer-run seats feel the same it could be interesting.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:36 - Sep 3 with 2066 viewsDanTheMan

On a similar note, interesting thread from a journalist from The Telegraph.

Followed by

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:43 - Sep 3 with 2020 viewsusm

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:24 - Sep 3 by Ryorry

Paradoxically, I (lifelong Labour supporter & voter who's said I'd never vote Labour again whilst JC's leader) would certainly vote Labour in this situation right now if I thought it would oust Boris. Probably pointless in my constituency with a Tory majority of c14K+, where a LD tactical vote would work out better, but if others like me in closer-run seats feel the same it could be interesting.

Are you suggesting that JC would make a better PM than BoJo?

I agree that neither are anything like ideal, but JC could be an actual disaster, far too risky.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:47 - Sep 3 with 2004 viewsTonytown

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:43 - Sep 3 by usm

I agree that neither are anything like ideal, but JC could be an actual disaster, far too risky.

Why is he too risky??

What policies does he have that makes you say that?
Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:48 - Sep 3 with 1998 viewsRyorry

JC could be dealt with in due course - fairly near future; BJ is the far more immediate threat imho.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:50 - Sep 3 with 1988 viewsfooters

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:47 - Sep 3 by Tonytown

Why is he too risky??

What policies does he have that makes you say that?

A Prime Minister who is actively seeking a no-deal disaster and who wouldn't mind breaking up the union is somehow worse than Corbyn. As ever, it's nothing to do with actual policies, rather than what they've been reading about that awful, scruffy man in The Sun.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:54 - Sep 3 with 1967 viewsTonytown

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:50 - Sep 3 by footers

A Prime Minister who is actively seeking a no-deal disaster and who wouldn't mind breaking up the union is somehow worse than Corbyn. As ever, it's nothing to do with actual policies, rather than what they've been reading about that awful, scruffy man in The Sun.

That’s why I asked the question.

The no deal brexiteers are the danger here.

The majority of MPs want an orderly Brexit, not no deal or it being cancelled.

Johnson’s mob aren’t negotiating with the EU, they are just running down the clock and will then blame the EU, JC and the Tory rebels for the mess that will ensue.
Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:58 - Sep 3 with 1952 viewsHerbivore

If you think JC is more of a risk than Alexander the not so Great then you've not been paying attention these past few months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:00 - Sep 3 with 1941 viewsfooters

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:58 - Sep 3 by Herbivore

If you think JC is more of a risk than Alexander the not so Great then you've not been paying attention these past few months.

Just shows how many have sipped the Tory/Brexit Kool Aid almost without seemingly thinking it.

"I won't vote Labour because of Corbyn" is now basically a vote for Johnson, imo.

British politics has always been about the lesser of two evils, and if people honestly believe that Corbyn is worse than BJ, then they should BCWTWF.

[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 12:00]

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:36 - Sep 3 with 1847 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 11:36 - Sep 3 by DanTheMan

On a similar note, interesting thread from a journalist from The Telegraph.

Followed by

And now confirmation from the EU side that there's been no substantive progress

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-irish-backstop-brexit-no-deal-

Yet I'm sure, despite the original news coming via leaks from no 10 highlighting it as a deliberate government strategy, this will somehow be spun that the EU is refusing to negotiate.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:41 - Sep 3 with 1828 viewsHerbivore

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:36 - Sep 3 by Swansea_Blue

And now confirmation from the EU side that there's been no substantive progress

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-irish-backstop-brexit-no-deal-

Yet I'm sure, despite the original news coming via leaks from no 10 highlighting it as a deliberate government strategy, this will somehow be spun that the EU is refusing to negotiate.

Everything Boris says is a lie. He gave a speech last night claiming progress was being made on a deal and that is patently false. And when the PM explicitly states that he does not want a GE and yet ALL of the news headlines that evening and the next day are about the PM looking to call a GE I think it's safe to say that we've lost all sense and credibility as a country.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:48 - Sep 3 with 1800 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:41 - Sep 3 by Herbivore

Everything Boris says is a lie. He gave a speech last night claiming progress was being made on a deal and that is patently false. And when the PM explicitly states that he does not want a GE and yet ALL of the news headlines that evening and the next day are about the PM looking to call a GE I think it's safe to say that we've lost all sense and credibility as a country.

Very Trumpesque. Throw enough lies around and (a) it gives temporary fuel to your key audience, and (b) normalises it for everyone else. We end up with twin realities in the minds of the populace (one of which isn't actually real).

Yep, no credibility at the moment.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:50 - Sep 3 with 1789 viewsitfcjoe

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:41 - Sep 3 by Herbivore

They are even briefing the press with wrong information - on the back of Indie story about proroguing parliament it was denied both on and off the record and then happened within hours.

They are playing a risky game, and hopefully it blows up in their faces. Cummings strikes me as someone who has to prove how smart he is all the time and that will bite him. His sacking of one of Javid's female Spads has gone down incredibly badly.

I've mentioned it a couple of times on here, but the Politico daily e-mail is great - this from it today was good:

SCOOP – 11th hour talks: Playbook hears Johnson will invite would-be-rebels into Downing Street this morning for last-minute talks on tonight’s vote. It will be the PM’s final chance to make a personal pitch to his MPs to step back from the brink and support his no-deal approach. A senior Downing Street official texts this morning to make the government’s position crystal clear. “If we lose this vote it would destroy our negotiating position, and force the PM to accept an unlimited extension from Brussels,” they say. “This is clearly not acceptable. Someone needs to ask rebels how siding with Jeremy Corbyn and allowing the EU to impose any extension it chooses upon the U.K. compatible with our ability to govern our own affairs?” But whether the rebels are in any mood to listen after the accusations and threats of the past week is another matter.

Exhibit A: “Threats are counter-productive,” one furious rebel source tells my colleague Annabelle Dickson. “I mean, think about it – you have a group of people who have to make a decision about whether they should put country before party. Then the leader of that party basically gives them a massive f*ck you by calling them collaborators, canceling a group meeting, threatening to deselect them. And,” shouting now, Annabelle says, “all the while CLAIMING HE DOESN’T WANT AN ELECTION!” Tensions, it’s fair to say, are running high.

But but but: Several papers this morning suggest some of the would-be rebels could yet balk at losing their jobs. “Some MPs have clearly made up their minds – but more than you would think are quietly considering if this is really how they want their political careers to end,” a government source tells the Guardian. “You cannot get around that fact. That will be the consequence.”

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 13:09 - Sep 3 with 1713 viewsPinewoodblue

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 12:50 - Sep 3 by itfcjoe

They are even briefing the press with wrong information - on the back of Indie story about proroguing parliament it was denied both on and off the record and then happened within hours.

They are playing a risky game, and hopefully it blows up in their faces. Cummings strikes me as someone who has to prove how smart he is all the time and that will bite him. His sacking of one of Javid's female Spads has gone down incredibly badly.

I've mentioned it a couple of times on here, but the Politico daily e-mail is great - this from it today was good:

SCOOP – 11th hour talks: Playbook hears Johnson will invite would-be-rebels into Downing Street this morning for last-minute talks on tonight’s vote. It will be the PM’s final chance to make a personal pitch to his MPs to step back from the brink and support his no-deal approach. A senior Downing Street official texts this morning to make the government’s position crystal clear. “If we lose this vote it would destroy our negotiating position, and force the PM to accept an unlimited extension from Brussels,” they say. “This is clearly not acceptable. Someone needs to ask rebels how siding with Jeremy Corbyn and allowing the EU to impose any extension it chooses upon the U.K. compatible with our ability to govern our own affairs?” But whether the rebels are in any mood to listen after the accusations and threats of the past week is another matter.

Exhibit A: “Threats are counter-productive,” one furious rebel source tells my colleague Annabelle Dickson. “I mean, think about it – you have a group of people who have to make a decision about whether they should put country before party. Then the leader of that party basically gives them a massive f*ck you by calling them collaborators, canceling a group meeting, threatening to deselect them. And,” shouting now, Annabelle says, “all the while CLAIMING HE DOESN’T WANT AN ELECTION!” Tensions, it’s fair to say, are running high.

But but but: Several papers this morning suggest some of the would-be rebels could yet balk at losing their jobs. “Some MPs have clearly made up their minds – but more than you would think are quietly considering if this is really how they want their political careers to end,” a government source tells the Guardian. “You cannot get around that fact. That will be the consequence.”

My suspicion is that Boris is trying, behind the scenes, to breakup the EU unity. The fact that Barnier has visited most EU countries in recent days suggests he may be worried.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 13:15 - Sep 3 with 1689 viewsHerbivore

Hammond drops a bomb shell on 13:09 - Sep 3 by Pinewoodblue

My suspicion is that Boris is trying, behind the scenes, to breakup the EU unity. The fact that Barnier has visited most EU countries in recent days suggests he may be worried.

Yeah, I'm sure EU leaders will follow Boris into battle rather than showing unity with the EU. What planet are you on?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024