Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
These 21 rebels... 07:38 - Sep 4 with 5388 viewsGavTWTD

What happens to them now? And their constituencies?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

These 21 rebels... on 10:27 - Sep 4 with 999 viewsitfcjoe

These 21 rebels... on 09:48 - Sep 4 by Oldsmoker

Some of the rebel MP's may find the members of their local Conservative association are Boris fans. It would be interesting to know - but hard to find out - if they would continue to support their rebel MP.
It's been suggested by many this morning (media, twitterati etc) that they should form a new conservative party grouping called "One Nation" or something along those lines. They can claim to still be part of the party and eventually hope to be invited back. Johnson will need their votes soon and so will make a deal with them.
Johnson has tried a huge bluff and everyone has called it. He is not controlling events - quite the reverse - events are controlling him.

It's all Cummings at the moment and it's just a high stakes game where his only ambition is to win, and prove he is so smart.

Boris is seemingly another pawn in it, and they are making some bad tactical calls - the threat of deselection was a bad move and fired people up more rather than the otherway round. It wouldn't surprise me to see more Tories rebel now.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

These 21 rebels... on 10:43 - Sep 4 with 974 viewsGuthrum

These 21 rebels... on 10:27 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

It's all Cummings at the moment and it's just a high stakes game where his only ambition is to win, and prove he is so smart.

Boris is seemingly another pawn in it, and they are making some bad tactical calls - the threat of deselection was a bad move and fired people up more rather than the otherway round. It wouldn't surprise me to see more Tories rebel now.

Cummings may know how to run a media campaign, but any student of Commons history (I'm looking at you, Rees Mogg) should have known the House takes a dim view of anybody who tries to ride rough-shod over them. Also that the Conservatives are a traditionally rebellious party.

I do wonder whether JRM's apparently languid attitude last night was because he's no longer in the driving seat and knows the strategy is being messed up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

These 21 rebels... on 10:47 - Sep 4 with 965 viewsGuthrum

These 21 rebels... on 10:24 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Deselection watch: One of the would-be-rebels, former Chancellor Philip Hammond, was last night [Monday] reselected as Tory candidate for Runnymede and Weybridge by the executive council of his local association. (This local councillor was present and has been tweeting about it.) It seems Hammond saw what was coming and moved quickly to get his name back on the ballot paper. This puts CCHQ in a bit of a bind – are they really going to overrule a grassroots association which has decided to readopt its MP of 22 years, and one who was chancellor of the exchequer until a few weeks ago? Crucially, do they even have the power to do so? This Tory academic says they definitely do. But another party source texts Playbook to say they are “fairly sure that if you have been reselected as a Tory candidate by your constituency, you cannot have the whip withdrawn for three months.”

Think the association itself can be suspended or expelled from the party. Not only would that be the nuclear option (and probably speed up any split), but it would leve them with no formal organisation in the constituency, shortly before a possible General Election.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

These 21 rebels... on 11:07 - Sep 4 with 944 viewsSwansea_Blue

These 21 rebels... on 10:27 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

I have to say that Boris' performances since being the PM, and especially last night, see to have blown apart the argument that he was in some way a cunning operator masquerading behind his bumbling persona. It seems he's all bluster and no substance after all. The areas where he was supposed to excel - his charisma and ability to put on a performance have been especially poor.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

These 21 rebels... on 11:08 - Sep 4 with 939 viewsBackToRussia

These 21 rebels... on 11:07 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

I have to say that Boris' performances since being the PM, and especially last night, see to have blown apart the argument that he was in some way a cunning operator masquerading behind his bumbling persona. It seems he's all bluster and no substance after all. The areas where he was supposed to excel - his charisma and ability to put on a performance have been especially poor.

Will be a delicious irony if he ends up being PM for about 6 weeks after gunning for it his whole life.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

These 21 rebels... on 11:26 - Sep 4 with 932 viewsflimflam

These 21 rebels... on 07:58 - Sep 4 by DanTheMan

I think Hammond said he would fight that legally if they tried to kick him out of the party.

This was a triple whip and they still went against it so have had their whip removed which basically means they have been kicked out of the party.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

These 21 rebels... on 11:56 - Sep 4 with 907 viewsitfcjoe

These 21 rebels... on 10:43 - Sep 4 by Guthrum

Cummings may know how to run a media campaign, but any student of Commons history (I'm looking at you, Rees Mogg) should have known the House takes a dim view of anybody who tries to ride rough-shod over them. Also that the Conservatives are a traditionally rebellious party.

I do wonder whether JRM's apparently languid attitude last night was because he's no longer in the driving seat and knows the strategy is being messed up.

The threat to, and subsequent deselection of 21 MPs, is madness - especially when you look at some who have gone like Clarke, Hammond and Soames especially.

At the moment we have a non-Conservative in Cummings pulling the strings in their party, and Seamus Milne who would not be a Labour party member doing it in their party - the world is totally upside down at the moment.

These 21 rebels... on 11:57 - Sep 4 with 905 viewsitfcjoe

These 21 rebels... on 11:07 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

Was noted yesterday, I think by ian Dunt, that his jocular and optimistic manner has gone - it may work on an after dinner speaking circuit but in the Commons it is an absolute bear pit and he can't handle it.

Login to get fewer ads

These 21 rebels... on 12:14 - Sep 4 with 881 viewsSwansea_Blue

These 21 rebels... on 11:57 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Was noted yesterday, I think by ian Dunt, that his jocular and optimistic manner has gone - it may work on an after dinner speaking circuit but in the Commons it is an absolute bear pit and he can't handle it.

I've just tuned into the start of PMQs and he's off his rocker. Guaranteeing that they will "get the backstop out" of a deal and we'll be leaving with a deal on 31st October. It's all there apparently, they're just not prepared to prove it ("we won't negotiate in public"). It's complete bollox.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

These 21 rebels... on 12:29 - Sep 4 with 870 viewsitfcjoe

These 21 rebels... on 12:14 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

I've just tuned into the start of PMQs and he's off his rocker. Guaranteeing that they will "get the backstop out" of a deal and we'll be leaving with a deal on 31st October. It's all there apparently, they're just not prepared to prove it ("we won't negotiate in public"). It's complete bollox.

It's just outright lies - revealed yesterday that negotiating team is 1/4 of the size it was under May.

They are going through the motions and prepared to blame the EU for not gettign a deal done, or the house for not getting it through

These 21 rebels... on 19:45 - Sep 4 with 815 viewsTrequartista

They are all signing for Bolton Wanderers tomorrow.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

These 21 rebels... on 19:56 - Sep 4 with 806 viewssparks

These 21 rebels... on 12:29 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

It's just outright lies - revealed yesterday that negotiating team is 1/4 of the size it was under May.

They are going through the motions and prepared to blame the EU for not gettign a deal done, or the house for not getting it through

Indeed. I suspect it is the level of apparent transparent deceit which pushed many of the 21 over the edge. Its positively Trumpesque. I like to think we are better than that. I fear i may be disappointed.

If he had a workable proposal he would have explained it. EU folks remain baffled by his comments and say they would need to have some sort of proposal to respond to.

He has no proposal and is banking on calling the EU's bluff. Which is dishonest visa vis this country and parliament, and ridiculous in terms of the prospects of success. The EU cannot agree a deal in which one of their key members (Ireland) gets shafted and potentially returns to civil unrest and violenceon and over its borders.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 20:00]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024